What is the newest installment of 'Random Thoughts' on Physics Forums?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Evo
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Random Thoughts
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
11,071 replies · 759K views
WWGD said:
Does a Physicist describe their day as in:
" I left the house at 8 a.m., with an initial velocity of 15 m/h"?

Of course not, because you didn't multiply the speed by the unit tangent vector :oops:
 
Physics news on Phys.org
WWGD said:
Does a Physicist describe their day as in:
" I left the house at 8 a.m., with an initial velocity of 15 m/h"?
15 m/h? What are you? A snail?
 
  • Haha
Likes   Reactions: Fervent Freyja
etotheipi said:
Of course not, because you didn't multiply the speed by the unit tangent vector :oops:
?? Sorry, quality of my Physics knowledge is poor.
 
fresh_42 said:
Nope. On the rocks wys originally meant literally. Kids were sent to fetch cool rocks from the nearby creek to cool the Whiskey at times when ice wasn't available. But don't do this with a Scotch!
Or do it in Pakistan, which is between Irak and a hard place ( Afghanistan).
 
It's a beautiful day! The sun has come out, my flowers are blooming, despite a bad frost and snow and terrible weather.
 
  • Like
  • Haha
Likes   Reactions: collinsmark, OmCheeto, DennisN and 5 others
Where are you? The temperature here dropped 30 degrees, and rain.
Winter seems to have arrived. Ahh well, this too shall pass.
 
Tom.G said:
Where are you? The temperature here dropped 30 degrees, and rain.
Winter seems to have arrived. Ahh well, this too shall pass.
I'm in Kansas and today I am wearing shorts, a tank top and flip flops, it's 76F and SUNNY. I have the fan on inside because I don't want to run the air conditioner, but I might have to tonight, the low is only going to be in the mid 60's, and after a very warm day, it just won't get cool enough inside for me to sleep.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: collinsmark and Tom.G
I saw for the first time a Rolls Royce today, not in an exhibition, a tv show or an auto saloon. It was a regular car on the streets.
 
fresh_42 said:
I saw for the first time a Rolls Royce today, not in an exhibition, a tv show or an auto saloon. It was a regular car on the streets.
You mean first time in your life?
 
fresh_42 said:
I saw for the first time a Rolls Royce today, not in an exhibition, a tv show or an auto saloon. It was a regular car on the streets.
You've obviously never lived near Kensington...
 
Are they " regular" cars for every day use ir just " hangout" cars?
 
WWGD said:
Are they " regular" cars for every day use ir just " hangout" cars?
In Kensington? Some of them have a work-a-day Rolls and a Sunday best Rolls, I suspect.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: WWGD
Ibix said:
In Kensington? Some of them have a work-a-day Rolls and a Sunday best Rolls, I suspect.
Me, I max at Cinnamon Rolls.
(Setup for a failed Python skit)
 
  • Haha
Likes   Reactions: Keith_McClary
The reason I hung around Kensington was that I did my PhD at Imperial College, which is there. Not a cheap area, but IC Student Union negotiated 10% discounts for ICSU card holders in a lot of local places. According to legend, this included the car showroom that sold Lamborghinis, Porschesn etc...
 
fresh_42 said:
I saw for the first time a Rolls Royce today, not in an exhibition, a tv show or an auto saloon. It was a regular car on the streets.
Did you ask or did they ask you for Grey Poupon?
 
Ibix said:
The reason I hung around Kensington was that I did my PhD at Imperial College, which is there. Not a cheap area, but IC Student Union negotiated 10% discounts for ICSU card holders in a lot of local places. According to legend, this included the car showroom that sold Lamborghinis, Porschesn etc...
Not many fish and chips places, I gather.
 
Big ass car, eh ? Like, huge. I've seen a couple (and Bentleys). Can't imagine owning one : even if you could pick up a used one cheap (which is definitely possible), maintenance and insurance would kill.
 
It's Friday.
It's 13th.
I have a black cat and I'm not afraid to ... make it purr :cool:
 
Her: "It is Friday, 13th, but due to Covid the bars are all closed, so nothing bad can happen."
Him; "See."
 
Rive said:
It's Friday.
It's 13th.
I have a black cat and I'm not afraid to ... make it purr :cool:
Strangely, in other countries the dreaded date is Tuesday the 13th , not Fridays.
 
WWGD said:
Strangely, in other countries the dreaded date is Tuesday the 13th , not Fridays.
Wimps! Fridays 13th are more often.
 
fresh_42 said:
Wimps! Fridays 13th are more often.
Of course, that would be because of the extra leap-Friday added to make 52 weeks exactly in a year (and 2 during leap years).
 
hmmm27 said:
Of course, that would be because of the extra leap-Friday added to make 52 weeks exactly in a year (and 2 during leap years).
No. It's because of the initial condition of the Gregorian calendar.
 
fresh_42 said:
No. It's because of the initial condition of the Gregorian calendar.
Which is? Did it leave its house at 10 mi/h?
 
fresh_42 said:
Wimps! Fridays 13th are more often.
Wonder if the chain of restaurants TGIF will add an asterisk to its name : TGIF*

* Except if it is the 13th.
 
Wonder if there is a " Solar Bear" club , the Summer version of the Polar Bear club , of people who jump into ice-cold water. Then a " Solar Bear" would wear heavy coats and drink hot chocolate and eat salty potato chips in Summer.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Bystander
Google translator is great ( and free!) but for more than a line or two it makes every translation seem like a quatraine from Nostradamus.
 
For category theorists: Is coconut equivalent to nut? Any functor between them?
 
Isn't the name " Noelle" self-contradictory ( No-L). ? It contains two L's. Maybe it should be switched for something like " Wannel" ( One L).
 
Misunderstanding?
I played Sugar Ray's song " I Just Wanna Fly", and now my house is full of flies. Coincidence?