What is the newest installment of 'Random Thoughts' on Physics Forums?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Evo
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Random Thoughts
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
11,071 replies · 758K views
fresh_42 said:
I thought about it. But I think I will do it on Monday.
Careful: if the secretary ( nor anyone ) else is there, it may not ring.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
WWGD said:
Careful: if the secretary ( nor anyone ) else is there, it may not ring.
(Recycling) The ASPCA * Quantum group cannot tell if its cat died or not. They lost the keys to the room where the cat lives. Edit: The representative for the Godel chair called his cat "My Dog" and his dog " My Cat" . Therefore he claims " My cat is My Dog and My Dog is my cat".

*Society for protection of animals.
 
Last edited:
WWGD said:
(Recycling) The ASPCA * Quantum group cannot tell if its cat died or not. They lost the keys to the room where the cat lives. Edit: The representative for the Godel chair called his cat "My Dog" and his dog " My Cat" . Therefore he claims " My cat is My Dog and My Dog is my cat".

*Society for protection of animals.
It is with a probability of 90% still alive:
https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/math-challenge-august-2020.991944/#post-6374281
 
WWGD said:
Can't reply. I used up the 3 things I know about philosophy .
The story of the stoics has to be rewritten anyway. I just checked the origin of hemp. They found 5,500 years old traces in Germany, so the ancient Greeks definitely had it, since it originated from the steppes in Central Asia. That explains the entire school.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Klystron
fresh_42 said:
The story of the stoics has to be rewritten anyway. I just checked the origin of hemp. They found 5,500 years old traces in Germany, so the ancient Greeks definitely had it, since it originated from the steppes in Central Asia. That explains the entire school.
Not sure I get the connection.
 
WWGD said:
Not sure I get the connection.
Lethargy (stoicism) is one of the symptoms of weed consumption.
 
fresh_42 said:
Lethargy (stoicism) is one of the symptoms of weed consumption.
Ah. How about cravings for Cheetos and other snacks, a supposed side effect as well? I am a practicioner of that school. I just gave myself cravings just by posting this. Will go get (Stoic) chips and will be back.
 
Many countries now legalizing consumption of weed. Maybe we will see a raise in the proportion of Stoics. And consumption of chips.
 
They sold a Dollar from 1794 today. For $840.000. However, a dollar in 1794 is worth only $24.08 today. Now was this the greatest investment of all time or evidence in a case of fraud?
 
fresh_42 said:
They sold a Dollar from 1794 today. For $840.000. However, a dollar in 1794 is worth only $24.08 today. Now was this the greatest investment of all time or evidence in a case of fraud?
Maybe it was a rare coin/bill?
 
I keep , some how, getting questions about closure of operations. So I was asked again if polynomials are closed under operations. Yes, for finite case. I use Taylor series of ##e^x## to show lack of closure under limits. But then they ask me how to prove ##e^x## is not a polynomial. We'll, it equals its own derivative and there is no extension under which it takes the value 0. Is there another good argument?
 
You could use its functional equation: ##f(x+y)=f(x)\cdot f(y)## which together with ##f(0)=1## determines the exponential function.
 
fresh_42 said:
You could use its functional equation: ##f(x+y)=f(x)\cdot f(y)## which together with ##f(0)=1## determines the exponential function uniquely.
Yes, this may show it's not a polynomial, but is this straightforward? In the complexes, we can use it's periodicity. I don't see, is it significantly easier than the other arguments?
 
omg help there's an absolute f*cking unit of a spider on my ceiling and I don't know what to do, it's really creeping me out
 
etotheipi said:
omg help there's an absolute f*cking unit of a spider on my ceiling and I don't know what to do, it's really creeping me out
Broom time?
 
I think I found the Holy frail: An effective sleep algorithm. Still, effective for only 3 days. Fingers crossed.
 
etotheipi said:
omg help there's an absolute f*cking unit of a spider on my ceiling and I don't know what to do, it's really creeping me out
So what ultimately happened with it?
 
WWGD said:
So what ultimately happened with it?
I called my mum and she drove all the way up to college to throw it out the window. Sike! I'm actually, like really, unbelievably brave and after a pretty long stare-off I captured the little miscreant all by myself ☺️
 
  • Like
  • Wow
Likes   Reactions: Keith_McClary and WWGD
Keith_McClary said:
Was it a wolf spider


or funnel web spider


?

Both taste well over rice ;).
 
Keith_McClary said:
Was it a wolf spider


or funnel web spider


?

Both taste well over rice ;).
 
WWGD said:
Talking about Eurosceptics, is Brexit finally through? It seems to have taken endlessly to be implemented.
I'm neither eurosceptic, just eurorealist (euro-reformist), but UK left the EU since February 1 last year.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: WWGD
Strange that it does not seem phone charges faster when not on. Would seem otherwise.
 
WWGD said:
Strange that it does not seem phone charges faster when not on. Would seem otherwise.
I bet they do. The question is probably which device is necessary to measure the difference, or easier, how much energy is needed to simply be on.
 
Breathtaking image released by NASA:

A penguin colony in the sand dunes at Mars's Northpole!

504716main_pia13662-full_full.jpg
 
  • Haha
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: dlgoff and collinsmark
fresh_42 said:
I bet they do. The question is probably which device is necessary to measure the difference, or easier, how much energy is needed to simply be on.
Maybe not that much energy needed. I often start with my phone at x%. If I go out and not use it at all for an hour or so, it will often remain at x%.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Ibix