What is the newest installment of 'Random Thoughts' on Physics Forums?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Evo
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Random Thoughts
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
11,071 replies · 758K views
Jarvis323 said:
You mean, as in ##y## is a higher dimension than ##x## or ##z##?
I meant points in dimension n projected into dimension n+k.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
WWGD said:
I meant points in dimension n projected into dimension n+k.
Or sometimes even an infinite dimensional space.
 
Jarvis323 said:
Or sometimes even an infinite dimensional space.
Right. Iirc, some how sets that are not linearly separable in dimension n can be mapped to ( " projected") to higher /inc infinite dimensions so that their images in this higher dimensional space are separable. Don't know if it has to see with Hahn Banach geometric form using convex sets.
 
WWGD said:
Right. Iirc, some how sets that are not linearly separable in dimension n can be mapped to ( " projected") to higher /inc infinite dimensions so that their images in this higher dimensional space are separable. Don't know if it has to see with Hahn Banach geometric form using convex sets.
This is why people who use ML usually don't even try to understand the underlying theory. You basically have to be a PhD level mathematician.
 
Jarvis323 said:
This is why people who use ML usually don't even try to understand the underlying theory. You basically have to be a PhD level mathematician.
True, though geometric HB only requires sets A,B be disjoint and convex to be linearly separated. I think this is what is used/assumed.
 
Halfway through submitting a paper to "Studies in Post Modernism"
Emulsify the vituperative dichotomy of caustic Saccades vis a vis the tumultuous cockade of servitude.
 
Other people can focus like physicists

The Economist(8/28/21) said:
For some readers, “Lady Chatterley’s Lover” was a disappointment. “[T]his fictional account of the day-by-day life of an English gamekeeper is still of considerable interest to outdoor-minded readers, as it contains many passages on pheasant raising,” wrote a reviewer in Field & Stream, a hunting periodical, in 1959. Unfortunately, “one is obliged to wade through many pages of extraneous material” to get to the passages “on the management of a Midlands shooting estate”.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Ibix
caz said:
many pages of extraneous material...
Sounds like my wife trying to tell me what time we need to will leave for a party. :oldeyes:
 
Last edited:
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: BillTre
DYK that Murphy's Law can be used to get an advantage?

I have an appointment in the city. If all works fine, it will take 15 minutes. If not, up to 45 minutes. Now the more I pay to lovely Rita, the less waiting time I will have.
 
  • Haha
Likes   Reactions: Keith_McClary
fresh_42 said:
DYK that Murphy's Law can be used to get an advantage?

I have an appointment in the city. If all works fine, it will take 15 minutes. If not, up to 45 minutes. Now the more I pay to lovely Rita, the less waiting time I will have.
Rita? Is that a reference to Mambo #5? How about Sandra and the others? I am apparently one of the 5 people who liked the song.
 
WWGD said:
Rita? Is that a reference to Mambo #5? How about Sandra and the others? I am apparently one of the 5 people who liked the song.
Two decades older:
 
fresh_42 said:
Two decades older:

Not familiar with it. Somehow it seems most music videos posted here are not available.
 
Kind of bizarre when they used music themes from TV shows for a dance party. Try dancing to " I'll be there for you", etc.
 
WWGD said:
Not familiar with it. Somehow it seems most music videos posted here are not available.
The truth is, that I have no idea how that parking fee automates are called in English (parking meter?). The song surrounded this problem.
 
fresh_42 said:
The truth is, that I have no idea how that parking fee automates are called in English (parking meter?). The song surrounded this problem.
Yes, when you park you put money in the parking meter. I guess an issue of licensing and royalties?
 
WWGD said:
it seems most music videos posted here are not available.
I get a lot of that too, here in Canada (and not just on PF). Do you get a "Watch on YouTube" link?
Does this version work for you?

 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: BillTre
Keith_McClary said:
I get a lot of that too, here in Canada (and not just on PF). Do you get a "Watch on YouTube" link?
Does this version work for you?


Same here, thanks: " Watch in You Tube".
 
And I thought that was a German thing. I get this "Watch on YouTube" message (which works) for about a month or so now.
 
fresh_42 said:
And I thought that was a German thing. I get this "Watch on YouTube" message (which works) for about a month or so now.
The message is uglier than writing an umlaut in unicode.
 
WWGD said:
The message is uglier than writing an umlaut in unicode.
Umlaute / umlauts are easy. If I don't have them on the keyboard, then I copy them from Wikipedia:
Ångström, København, etc.
 
fresh_42 said:
Umlaute / umlauts are easy. If I don't have them on the keyboard, then I copy them from Wikipedia:
Ångström, København, etc.
Fahrvergnugen? I just wanted to come out with a new saying!
 
I
WWGD said:
Fahrvergnugen? I just wanted to come out with a new saying!
I used to do that with ñ , but I realized I can use it just by changing the language settings on my phone. You can probably do the same with your phone settings.
Now I can talk about an actual Piña Colada.
 
Did my good deed for today. I noticed two dogs that I've seen before with their owner but running free and headed down the street towards a busy road and a freeway beyond that. I managed to get them to follow me and put them in my back yard. Fortunately there was a phone number on their tags and the owner was able to come get them.
:partytime:
 
  • Like
  • Love
Likes   Reactions: collinsmark, WWGD, hmmm27 and 2 others
Gah! Again: Burn Notice is the name of the show, not Burn Unit! No wonder I get these blank stares when I use the wrong name.
 
WWGD said:
Gah! Again: Burn Notice is the name of the show, not Burn Unit! No wonder I get these blank stares when I use the wrong name.
Another show (Burn Notice) where I favored the side-kick (Fiona) over the lead character.

791357.jpg
 
fresh_42 said:
Another show (Burn Notice) where I favored the side-kick (Fiona) over the lead character.

View attachment 288569
But I don't get how the pic matches the show.
 
I need to drive Dakar to get to Senegal.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Bystander