What is the newest installment of 'Random Thoughts' on Physics Forums?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Evo
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Random Thoughts
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
11,071 replies · 751K views
The new media enable the instantaneous dissemination of thoughts, most of which should never have been thought, let alone given written expression. The velocity imparted by new media somehow is an incentive for intemperate discourse. Books, however, have long gestations and, usually, careful editors. One of the most demanding and satisfying facets of this columnist’s craft is taking the many hours required to distill to its essence a worthy book that took another author many years to write; to offer just one example, to be able to acquaint a large readership with the lapidary sentences and mind-opening nuggets of information in Rick Atkinson’s military histories — a specialty now almost extinct in the academy.
George F. Will, a brilliant journalist
https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/2021/09/14/george-will-pursuit-of-happiness/
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Evo
Physics news on Phys.org

Why the Ottomans Never Colonized America?​




Some interesting commentary on history of the 1400-1700 period.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Tom.G
We have a lot of science fiction movies like Independence Day in which Earth is threatened by an alien invasion. However, we have only about a billion years left on our own planet before we have to look for emigration. I guess we will be those aliens invading other civilizations!
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Evo
fresh_42 said:
We have a lot of science fiction movies like Independence Day in which Earth is threatened by an alien invasion. However, we have only about a billion years left on our own planet before we have to look for emigration. I guess we will be those aliens invading other civilizations!
We will just fix the sun or make a new one.



Of course we've known the secret to landing on the sun for decades - go at night.
 
  • Haha
Likes   Reactions: Evo
I was recalling today that I once worked with a direct descendant of Charles Babbage - the inventor of the first mechanical computer.

He (my customer) was a programmer.
 
  • Wow
Likes   Reactions: Evo
Ivan Seeking said:
I was recalling today that I once worked with a direct descendant of Charles Babbage - the inventor of the first mechanical computer.

He (my customer) was a programmer.
And I attended a guest lecture by Zuse! We should create a club.
 
fresh_42 said:
And I attended a guest lecture by Zuse! We should create a club.
We are a club! :cool:
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: fresh_42
Ivan Seeking said:
We are a club! :cool:
And I recently had a Turkey club!
 
  • Haha
Likes   Reactions: Evo
I can't stop thinking about this quite old woman (maybe 85 years or greater) who was new as a cashier at CVS durring the peak of wave 2 of the pandemic. It's a bit disheartening to think about.
 
  • Sad
Likes   Reactions: Evo, Keith_McClary and fresh_42
why the heck am I allowed to go to a nightclub, the london underground at rush hour, etc., whilst the university won’t even allow in-person lectures?
 
ergospherical said:
why the heck am I allowed to go to a nightclub, the london underground at rush hour, etc., whilst the university won’t even allow in-person lectures?
Think about the following question: Who is running the nightclub, who the Tube, and who the university?
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Evo and ergospherical
WWGD said:
And I recently had a Turkey club!
Had? Did the turkeys all quit?
 
Big Ben is (prussian) blue again

1632239171689.jpeg
 
So now it becomes harder to settle claims and discussions. Now impartiality of fact checkers is brought into question. Wasn't there a list of trustworthy sources here in PF?
 
Necro-posters swarming earlier this year? Must be a hard winter coming.
 
I was fifth grade, the red-headed twin girls were in the 8th grade and looking for trouble. And this was our song. I kid you not! Me and two Catholic girls gone wrong!


Why is it that girls and women looking for trouble always came to me?? I'm not complaining mind you, just curious. :rolleyes:
 
Ivan Seeking said:
Why is it that girls and women looking for trouble always came to me??
This is definitely a local attractor. I know, since there must be another one near me.

But it seems to work in either direction:
fresh_42 said:
Well, Whitney was the only one in the collection who could actually sing. :cool:

sysprog said:
Without a doubt she was the prettiest.

Why do pretty women tend to fish absolute idiots from the pool?
 
Ivan Seeking said:
I was fifth grade, the red-headed twin girls were in the 8th grade and looking for trouble. And this was our song. I kid you not! Me and two Catholic girls gone wrong!


Why is it that girls and women looking for trouble always came to me?? I'm not complaining mind you, just curious. :rolleyes:

Because you ( and myself) are strange attractors.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Ivan Seeking and fresh_42
Even Physics got me a date once. I was 19 years old and living in a cheap apartment with a friend. While sitting by the closed pool reading a physics book, a beautiful young Mexican woman who could barely speak any English, came up to me and indicated that she wanted to know what I'm reading. I said hello and showed her the page I was reading, which of course was filled with equations. She looked at me wide-eyed and said in broken English, "Ooooooh, you must be smart!" We dated for the next several months even though we could barely talk to each other. But we always managed to find something to do. LOL

Only as I found her climbing out my window one morning did I learn that she lived in our apartment complex with her boyfriend - the dangerous-looking biker dude.

Ironically, her name was Lourdes.
 
Ivan Seeking said:
Even Physics got me a date once. I was 19 years old and living in a cheap apartment with a friend. While sitting by the closed pool reading a physics book, a beautiful young Mexican woman who could barely speak any English, came up to me and indicated that she wanted to know what I'm reading. I said hello and showed her the page I was reading, which of course was filled with equations. She looked at me wide-eyed and said in broken English, "Ooooooh, you must be smart!" We dated for the next several months even though we could barely talk to each other. But we always managed to find something to do. LOL

Only as I found her climbing out my window one morning did I learn that she lived in our apartment complex with her boyfriend - the dangerous-looking biker dude.
I just like to say my name is Sydney. " And what's your last name?". Me:" Australia". Sydney Australia.
 
Ivan Seeking said:
Even Physics got me a date once. I was 19 years old and living in a cheap apartment with a friend. While sitting by the closed pool reading a physics book, a beautiful young Mexican woman who could barely speak any English, came up to me and indicated that she wanted to know what I'm reading. I said hello and showed her the page I was reading, which of course was filled with equations. She looked at me wide-eyed and said in broken English, "Ooooooh, you must be smart!" We dated for the next several months even though we could barely talk to each other. But we always managed to find something to do. LOL

Only as I found her climbing out my window one morning did I learn that she lived in our apartment complex with her boyfriend - the dangerous-looking biker dude.

Ironically, her name was Lourdes.
Climbing out your window? Spider Woman?
 
How I impressed this French woman. She asks me " Do you like Le Pen?". I reply " Yes, but I prefer Le Pencil".
 
Astronuc said:
The actress Hedy Lamar conceived of the idea of

Frequency-hopping spread spectrum[edit]​

220px-Lamarr_patent.png

Copy of U.S. patent for "Secret Communication System"
During World War II, Lamarr learned that radio-controlled torpedoes, an emerging technology in naval war, could easily be jammed and set off course.[52] She thought of creating a frequency-hopping signal that could not be tracked or jammed. She conceived an idea and contacted her friend, composer and pianist George Antheil, to help her implement it.[4] Together they developed a device for doing that, when he succeeded by synchronizing a miniaturized player-piano mechanism with radio signals.[40] They drafted designs for the frequency-hopping system, which they patented.[53][54] Antheil recalled:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hedy_Lamarr#Frequency-hopping_spread_spectrum

But I most admire Hedy for not only being the first woman to do a nude scene in a movie, but also her love of older men. :)

1632424741018.png


She once explained that she was tricked into doing the nude scene in the movie. She was told it would be a very distant shot and no one would be able to see anything but a shape, which was partly true. But she didn't know about the new technology referred to as telephoto lenses...
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: BillTre and fresh_42
A nice way of showing not all quadratics have a Real solution. Let n>1. Let p be a prime. Then n(n+1)=p cannot have a solution for n>1, else n divides p, a contradiction .

Then n(n+1)=p, so that ##n^2-n-p=0 \rightarrow x^2-x-p=0## cannot have a Real solution. I mean, any integer not a product of consecutive numbers would work too, but the prime makes it cleaner.

Not an amazing argument, but seemed nice.
 
For those unaware, there is a meme that people who pretend to be smart (/r/iamverysmart) almost always state "quantum mechanics" as an interest.

NO ONE WHO ACTUALLY STUDIES QUANTUM MECHANICS FEELS SMART STUDYING QUANTUM MECHANICS.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Ivan Seeking and WWGD