What is the newest installment of 'Random Thoughts' on Physics Forums?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Evo
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Random Thoughts
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
11,071 replies · 763K views
These bastards! Just when I was about to engage in lazy cinicism about how people suck, I had two people ; one a perfect stranger and the other barely an acquaintance , help me in a period of some 20 minutes, preventing me from whining without basis about how people suck. Newman!
 
Physics news on Phys.org
There have been around 1.1 million posts since RT 1 was begun by Evo on June 10 2016. Hers was post 5, 495,000 or so, and last I checked here was around 6, 570,000. That's a little less than 200,000 a year or around 550 per day.
 
BillTre said:
What's RT 1?
Random Thoughts 1.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: BillTre
WWGD said:
My bad. I meant the 1st post of RT 6 by Evo. You can just click below to select the 1st page of RT 6 and see the 1st post. When you click on ' Reply' , you see the post number to which you're replying.
Screenshot_2021-12-05-22-24-38.png
 
fresh_42 said:
The post id counts all posts on PF.
Each post? Don't mean to be pedantic, it sounds confusing.
Edit: And just what is the neaning of the other number :5.851969...?
 
That was an assumption, but two consecutive posts in a thread do not have consecutive numbers. And if I would design a database I would assign each post an automatic identifier as the primary key.
 
fresh_42 said:
That was an assumption, but two consecutive posts in a thread do not have consecutive numbers. And if I would design a database I would assign each post an automatic identifier as the primary key.
My post previous to yours here was identified as 6572089, and your reply as 6572090. Coincidence?
 
WWGD said:
My post previous to yours here was identified as 6572089, and your reply as 6572090. Coincidence?
Yes. Low traffic.
 
fresh_42 said:
Yes. Low traffic.
So you're saying the number assignrd to posts is not on the basis of the order ( throughout PF) in which it was posted?
I mean, if I post #6572090 now and next post throughout PF on, say lame jokes comes immediately afterwards, won't it be assigned 6572091?
 
WWGD said:
So you're saying the number assignrd to posts is not on the basis of the order ( throughout PF) in which it was posted?
No, I'm saying the opposite. At any time someone submits a new post, a new identifier is selected. There was apparently no other post between your 6572089 and my 6572090. But I frequently look up post identifiers in the math challenges when I link solutions to my edits "solved by" and know, that they are not successive.
 
A very funny game: Whamageddon 2021.

The objective is to go as long as possible without hearing WHAM's Christmas classic; "Last Christmas" (between December 1 and December 24.

They even got merchandise. :)

I've survived Whamageddon so far, but I'd be surprised if I can make it to December 24.
 
  • Haha
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: pinball1970 and fresh_42
I watched a movie and an NFL game more or less in parallel yesterday. In one scene of the movie, they showed an NFL game with the same teams on tv. And the tv game in the movie tv was a better game than the game on tv was.
 
  • Haha
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Klystron, DennisN, pinball1970 and 1 other person
Now they require students bring axes to class. In case they want to axe a question.
 
  • Haha
Likes   Reactions: pinball1970
I stumbled across Mr Bean's holiday on Netflix earlier and ended up watching the whole thing. The theme song made me very unexpectedly nostalgic. Rowan Atkinson really is a genius... 👌
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: DennisN, Astronuc and pinball1970
WWGD said:
I'm curious about yogurt spoiling. Isn't it essentially spoiled milk to start with?
I wouldn't consider yogurt starting as spoiled milk.

Yogurt is a fermented milk product that contains the characteristic bacterial cultures Lactobacillus bulgaricus and Streptococcus thermophilus. ... Full fat yogurt must contain not less than 3.25% milk fat, lowfat yogurt not more than 2% milk fat, and nonfat yogurt less than 0.5% milk.
http://www.milkfacts.info/Milk Processing/Yogurt Production.htm

Spoiling involves other bacteria, which are often harmful, e.g., E. coli, other strep or staph bacteria, and others that may produce toxins or other serious illness in people or animals.

Lactobacillus delbrueckii is another fermenting bacterium.
https://academic.oup.com/nutritionreviews/article/79/5/599/5843523
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Klystron and WWGD
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Borg
The first snow of the season is always the worst. I drove in all kinds of snow conditions for years but I won't drive on the first one of the year if I can avoid it. Too many rookies out there.
 
  • Like
  • Love
Likes   Reactions: hmmm27, fresh_42 and Tom.G
Borg said:
The first snow of the season is always the worst. I drove in all kinds of snow conditions for years but I won't drive on the first one of the year if I can avoid it. Too many rookies out there.
Indeed. It separates all drivers into two categories. They either behave as there wasn't snow at all, or they behave as if they have never seen snow before. The first ones are a danger to all others, and the second ones are additional estates in the middle of the road.

I have been told that especially in areas of the USA where there normally isn't any snow, people don't have the right equipment and no experience at all. Wrong tyres and insecure drivers are a horrible combination.
 
fresh_42 said:
Wrong tyres and insecure drivers are a horrible combination.
And some of the newer cars are so optimized for fuel economy that there is not even room to mount snow tires!
EDIT: Which also means tire chains are a no-no!

(I ended up with one of those, no more mountain driving in the Winter. If you love the snow, check that shiny new toy before buying! :cry: :cry:)
 
Last edited:
  • Wow
Likes   Reactions: Keith_McClary
fresh_42 said:
or they behave as if they have never seen snow before.
I was behind someone on the freeway once when a single snowflake hit their windshield. The person practically slammed on the brakes. It had just started to snow but the road was still absolutely dry.
 
Boostered, flued, and Whamageddon counter at 0. Guess it was a good day.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: collinsmark
The Australian.com.au reports - "One of the country’s highest-profile cryptocurrency trading platforms – which once claimed it had more than 20,000 users – has collapsed, leaving irate customers unable to access their accounts."
 
  • Wow
Likes   Reactions: collinsmark
DennisN said:
A very funny game: Whamageddon 2021.

The objective is to go as long as possible without hearing WHAM's Christmas classic; "Last Christmas" (between December 1 and December 24.

They even got merchandise. :)

I've survived Whamageddon so far, but I'd be surprised if I can make it to December 24.
I'm out of the game. I was listening to the radio today and they announced that they would play it, and I rushed to change the channel before the song started. I did not make it. I only lasted 8 days this year.
 
  • Haha
Likes   Reactions: fresh_42