What is the newest installment of 'Random Thoughts' on Physics Forums?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Evo
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Random Thoughts
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
11,071 replies · 758K views
It seems kind of weird that, unlike with letters and words/strings, there are no ways of verbally(by phone) checking whether
a number is correct . Say we want to verbally communicate the string CHWR . Then we can tell the other person something
to the effect : C as in Charlie, H as in Harry, W Walter R Richar. But for, e.g., 234, there is no "2 as in 2 hundred..3 as in ..."etc.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
fresh_42 said:
You meant ##(2,3,4)## as in ##\mathcal{Sym}(4)## with a fixed point ##1##, the first place?

Yes, it wouldn't surprise me if there was such concept in German, just like you number your jokes :).
 
Tomorrow is https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_Bacon_Day ! :woot:

Simpsons_Bacon_Blue_Shirt_POP.jpe
 
Last edited by a moderator:
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Sophia
Borg said:
Tomorrow is https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_Bacon_Day ! :woot:

Simpsons_Bacon_Blue_Shirt_POP.jpe
Best.Food.Ever!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
WWGD said:
Say we want to verbally communicate the string CHWR . Then we can tell the other person something
to the effect : C as in Charlie, H as in Harry, W Walter R Richar. But for, e.g., 234, there is no "2 as in 2 hundred..3 as in ..."etc.
Zero - love
One - for all
Two - company
Three - crowd
Four - suits
Five - starfish
Six - eggs
Seven - days
Eight - octopus
Nine - cat's lives
 
Ibix said:
Zero - love
One - for all
Two - company
Three - crowd
Four - suits
Five - starfish
Six - eggs
Seven - days
Eight - octopus
Nine - cat's lives
Nice, what do you smoke for that?
 
WWGD said:
Nice, what do you smoke for that?
Anything. But you have to use cryptic crosswords for the rolling paper.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: WWGD
Ibix said:
Zero - love
One - for all
Two - company
Three - crowd
Four - suits
Five - starfish
Six - eggs
Seven - days
Eight - octopus
Nine - cat's lives
A list like this can be used mnemonically. To remember the number 546, you form a mental image of a starfish wearing a suit eating a plate of eggs. An octopus sitting on a cat's head in the middle of a crowd would be 893.

Your list would have to be tuned up for this purpose. Concepts like "for all" are hard to translate into images.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Ibix
jim hardy said:
I'm absolutely convinced infants sense our state of mind .

Babies are great biofeedback.
Quite possibly true, but a couple years of good biofeedback is outweighed in my mind by the 18 year obligation.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Ibix
Today I had a new idea to correct a car design.
The accelerator should be on the left and used by its driver's left foot and the brake be on the right and used by his right one. What do you think ?
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: RonL
Pepper Mint said:
Today I had a new idea to correct a car design.
The accelerator should be on the left and used by its driver's left foot and the brake be on the right and used by his right one. What do you think ?
Ok...Time to go to bed and get some sleep Pepper Mint. :wink::biggrin:
 
Pepper Mint said:
The accelerator should be on the left and used by its driver's left foot and the brake be on the right and used by his right one. What do you think ?
I need to reflect on that.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: zoobyshoe
Pepper Mint said:
Today I had a new idea to correct a car design.
The accelerator should be on the left and used by its driver's left foot and the brake be on the right and used by his right one. What do you think ?
That would throw the entire world, as we know it, into complete chaos :rolleyes::biggrin:
 
It always takes me one or two unintended heavy brakes when I switch to an automatic car and hit the brake instead of the clutch. Thanks.
 
A time to rend, and a time to sew; a time to keep silence, and a time to speak;

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daniel_Ellsberg
In late 1969—with the assistance of his former RAND Corporation colleague Anthony Russo—Ellsberg secretly made several sets of photocopies of the classified documents to which he had access; these later became known as the Pentagon Papers.

Ellsberg is the recipient of the Inaugural Ron Ridenhour Courage Prize, a prize established by The Nation Institute and The Fertel Foundation.[46] In 1978 he accepted the Gandhi Peace Award from Promoting Enduring Peace. On September 28, 2006 he was awarded the Right Livelihood Award.[47]

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-cyber-guccifer-idUSKCN1175FB
A Romanian hacker nicknamed "Guccifer" who helped expose the existence of a private email domain Hillary Clinton used when she was U.S. secretary of state was sentenced on Thursday to 52 months in prison by a federal court in Alexandria, Virginia.

Marcel Lazar, 44, who used the alias online, had pleaded guilty in May to charges including unauthorized access to a protected computer and aggravated identity theft after being extradited from Romania.

Lazar's public defender, Shannon Quill, was not immediately available for comment.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Ibix
Insight: Harvard is the square root of Harvard Square.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: ProfuselyQuarky and Sophia
Today was the day for the yearly ritual:

Scrape the old registration sticker off the license plate, out the new one on, then slice it into small squares.

That last procedure was recommended to me by a DMV employee after someone peeled the sticker off my plate many years back. If you slice it up, it can't come off in one piece and be transferred to some unregistered vehicle.

This annual automotive rite will probably soon disappear, though. More and more states are doing away with the physical sticker on the plate in favor of computer checks of registration status.
 
I am not either joking or insulting anyone (I have yet to say this because I *really* don't want to sadden or madden any readers or visitors on board) as I find people with some minor mental disorders are good at hyper-thinking.
All the details of the matter under discussion or thoughts they share with others are a little or very much discrete, depending upon the levels of their mental illnesses. I don't know how psychiatrists diagnose their potential patients in relation with their abilities to memorize things, yet I think this kind of discrepancy may be of use to verify how one is suffering from some sort of mental disorders.
So if they are extremely good at hyperthinking, you will surely know where they are most living now.
 
Pepper Mint said:
I find people with some minor mental disorders are good at hyper-thinking.

what's hyperthinking ?
 
jim hardy said:
what's hyperthinking ?
I might have used an incorrect word to describe what I truly wanted to say.
I think about humans who do have a high level storage of thoughts. Like the orbits for electrons in a chemical element, thoughts are created and gone when they don't get absorbed into its central processing unit - our brain anymore. This process is run again and again until a particular thought is fully rooted and so we can remember how things established by such a thought or concept are e.g to be done. Now the point is electrons do have their own interactive levels with others. Thoughts are the same, they linked together to create e.g a memorable event. Some people with minor mental disorders don't seem able to fully link them; their comments and speech by their own thoughts might become less coherent, like electrons that live in the outermost orbits.
 
I finally understood why I was having trouble logging on to coffee shop Wi-Fis : my system decided somehow that the logon browser pages were too risky, so . Now I need to figure out how to address this.
 
WWGD said:
I finally understood why I was having trouble logging on to coffee shop Wi-Fis : my system decided somehow that the logon browser pages were too risky, so . Now I need to figure out how to address this.
:DD if you are that shop owner, then it won't be a real matter anymore.
 
WWGD said:
I finally understood why I was having trouble logging on to coffee shop Wi-Fis : my system decided somehow that the logon browser pages were too risky, so . Now I need to figure out how to address this.
The same thing happened with my home WiFi. I had to disable some features of my antivirus and reduce the security.
 
Aniruddha@94 said:
The same thing happened with my home WiFi. I had to disable some features of my antivirus and reduce the security.
Isn't it possible to just "de-quarantine" certain pages?
 
I think the Mothman was almost certainly a large owl.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: collinsmark