What is the newest installment of 'Random Thoughts' on Physics Forums?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Evo
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Random Thoughts
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
11,071 replies · 759K views
I was so stressed this afternoon that I ate a whole head of broccoli from the fridge, completely raw, like a drumstick. There's something vaguely satisfying about the crunchy texture, although lots of the tiny, hairy green bits got stuck in my throat and I couldn't stop coughing for about 15 minutes.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
ergospherical said:
lots of the tiny, hairy green bits got stuck in my throat and I couldn't stop coughing for about 15 minutes.
Apply cold beer. Have it ready before starting in on the broccoli.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Oldman too
BillTre said:
That's a big pipe fitting!

View attachment 297722
Haha yes, that is a big T section. Unsure what that dude is doing ( can't be welding, he has no helmet ) but he better hurry up! Clock on the wall says it's almost 3! Breaktime 😄
 
Issues not yet settled by philosophers:

Oxbridge or Cambford ?

Cro-muffin or Muffsant ?

Where's the Beef?
 
Jodo said:
Haha yes, that is a big T section. Unsure what that dude is doing ( can't be welding, he has no helmet ) but he better hurry up! Clock on the wall says it's almost 3! Breaktime 😄
I think he is a fabricator doing plastic welding (helmet not required).
 
Today, 195 years ago:

##\dagger\;## Pierre-Simon Laplace
##\dagger\;## Alessandro Volta
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Klystron
Most 20th century physicists have such tragic life stories :(
 
I stumbled across a replica of that fishing game that used to be in the ski lodge in Club Penguin, and it made my heart very happy. :penguin:

1646600596606.png
 
  • Love
Likes   Reactions: Hamiltonian
Hamiltonian said:
Most 20th century physicists have such tragic life stories :(
In another thread, I just learned of Schwarzschild’s fate. Over the age of 40, he volunteered for World War I and died of a disease caught on the Eastern Front. It was on the Eastern front that he came up with his analytical solution to Einstein’s field equations.
 
Last edited:
Galois died at 21, in a duel over politics. Can't imagine a Mathematician dying that way today.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Frabjous
WWGD said:
Galois died at 21, in a duel over politics. Can't imagine a Mathematician dying that way today.
Ever started a discussion on constructivism?
 
  • Haha
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: collinsmark, Borg, Frabjous and 1 other person
fresh_42 said:
Ever started a discussion on constructivism?
Yes, but Brouwer ( Sp?) was not around. Edit: Nor the new crazy guy in YouTube (NJ Wildberger).
 
Last edited:
Wow, EWF still playing; just saw an ad for a concert. 5 guys singing and some other 400 on stage dancing.
 
ergospherical said:
I stumbled across a replica of that fishing game that used to be in the ski lodge in Club Penguin, and it made my heart very happy. :penguin:

View attachment 298056
those were simpler times:')

also I think the original game was re-launched a few years ago(there were rumors that it was because of Musk's tweet)
 
Last edited:
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: ergospherical
caz said:
In another thread, I just learned of Schwarzschild’s fate. Over the age of 40, he volunteered for World War I and died of a disease caught on the Eastern Front. It was on the Eastern front that he came up with his analytical solution to Einstein’s field equations.
Max Planck's younger son Erwin got arrested for involvement in the attempted assassination of Hitler. For which he was executed.
Fritz Haber gave up his religion, helped the Nazi's create the very gas that was used to kill his family members. He died alone in a hotel. At the end of his life, he repented for using his mind and his talents for waging war.
there are so many more Ludwig Boltzmann, Tesla, Turing, Schwarzschild even Einstein had a very hard time in his early years.
 
Notes to self:
1)Trying to see when I'll get a chance to use the line:
"Er, I'm Vegan, Walter!"

2)It's Yo-Yo-Ma, not
Yo-Ma-Ma.
 
Watching this it's almost impossible to believe that MPW and Gordon used to be teacher and prodigée; the approaches couldn't be more different. :oldbiggrin:

 
I personally don't like it when the chefs are commenting aggressively during the cooking. Keep the talking to a minimum, I can see what you are doing :cry:

Chef Wang on youtube is a great watch.
 
nuuskur said:
I personally don't like it when the chefs are commenting aggressively during the cooking. Keep the talking to a minimum, I can see what you are doing :cry:

Chef Wang on youtube is a great watch.
I guess that means Ramsay's not on your watch list.
 
WWGD said:
Galois died at 21, in a duel over politics. Can't imagine a Mathematician dying that way today.
The histories I have read describe a love triangle. Galois and the skilled swordsman who ended his life shared the affections of a young woman.
 
  • Informative
Likes   Reactions: fresh_42
If you're writing a cover letter to a professor, is it too heavy-handed to mention that you've read a book that they wrote? On the one hand it's completely true (and I read it a fair while ago), but one worries that they'd suspect you're full of it and only googled them a couple of minutes before you sat down to write to them.
 
ergospherical said:
If you're writing a cover letter to a professor, is it too heavy-handed to mention that you've read a book that they wrote? On the one hand it's completely true (and I read it a fair while ago), but one worries that they'd suspect you're full of it and just googled them a couple of minutes before you sat down to write to them.
Is it relevant to why you are seeing them?
If they suspect your BS'ing, but are ready for questions, it could be a good thing.
 
Klystron said:
The histories I have read describe a love triangle. Galois and the skilled swordsman who ended his life shared the affections of a young woman.
Maybe a bit of both? Don't know the story at that level of detail, I admit.
 
Very much so, yes. It's a summer placement in a fairly specific area of astrophysics research in which he's an authority. I think it would be nice to mention that I've used his text but it's harder than it first seems to do so with tact...
 
Slip a reference to it, into a conversation when talking about some subject the book covers:
"stars, like defined in your book".
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Klystron and ergospherical
ergospherical said:
If you're writing a cover letter to a professor, is it too heavy-handed to mention that you've read a book that they wrote?
Do me a favor, Jay. Do not mention the errors. :cool:
 
  • Haha
Likes   Reactions: Keith_McClary and ergospherical
ergospherical said:
Very much so, yes. It's a summer placement in a fairly specific area of astrophysics research in which he's an authority. I think it would be nice to mention that I've used his text but it's harder than it first seems to do so with tact...
I know Physics as if I had used Ramsey's cookbooks as my textbook ;).