What is the newest installment of 'Random Thoughts' on Physics Forums?
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
11,071 replies · 758K views
Physics news on Phys.org
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
- 13,438
- 8,110
It's been over 50 years now, but I've had cat food (pretty much indistinguishable from tuna) and dog food (Gravy Train is not bad) just to see what they were like.StevieTNZ said:my mums friends friend who use to put cat food on sandwiches and serve them up.
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
- 3,447
- 3,741
I've eaten worse. Anything with butter makes it better.StevieTNZ said:Would you
(a) drink a cold butter chicken smoothie?
or (b) eat a frozen butter chicken pie?
or (c) (a) and (b)?
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
- 7,908
- 13,226
I had it by accident, but was curious too. Tv ads made the food look appetizing.jbriggs444 said:It's been over 50 years now, but I've had cat food (pretty much indistinguishable from tuna) and dog food (Gravy Train is not bad) just to see what they were like.
StevieTNZ
- 1,944
- 837
I did a science experiment. As I have a runny nose due to having Covid, I decided to test a droplet from one nostril (exiting my nose) and sure enough it came back positive on a RAT.
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
- 7,908
- 13,226
Was the RAT eating anything with frozen butter ? ;).StevieTNZ said:I did a science experiment. As I have a runny nose due to having Covid, I decided to test a droplet from one nostril (exiting my nose) and sure enough it came back positive on a RAT.
StevieTNZ
- 1,944
- 837
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Butter_chickenWWGD said:Was the RAT eating anything with frozen butter ? ;).
- 1,098
- 1,385
A fun little demonstration of the Berry phase: begin with your arm out and palm facing downward. You cannot twist your arm. What sequence of moves gets you to arm out and palm facing upward?
- 13,926
- 16,805
It's easy if your shoulder joint is an ideal ball joint.ergospherical said:A fun little demonstration of the Berry phase: begin with your arm out and palm facing downward. You cannot twist your arm. What sequence of moves gets you to arm out and palm facing upward?
- 1,098
- 1,385
I may or may not have capsized a scull this morning. Only a matter of seconds after getting in, no less…
Science Advisor
Gold Member
- 2,408
- 5,259
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
- 5,629
- 1,778
There have actually been that many people go to Antarctica? Depends on definition of "visit;" is visiting just "base-running/tagging up," (day-tripping) or does it require spending some minimum time? e.g., does Ft. Lewis count for me as "visiting" if I'm claiming "n of the fifty states of the union?"WWGD said:So the estimate is that only some 40000 people have visited all continents.
- 20,819
- 28,467
And do round trips by plane (offered by Air New Zealand) count? And what are "all" continents?Bystander said:There have actually been that many people go to Antarctica? Depends on definition of "visit;" is visiting just "base-running/tagging up," (day-tripping) or does it require spending some minimum time? e.g., does Ft. Lewis count for me as "visiting" if I'm claiming "n of the fifty states of the union?"
Europe and Asia are the same tectonic plate. Are the Americas one or two?
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
- 7,908
- 13,226
Makes sense. Antarctica may have been given a pass due to its special conditions to have cruise travelers considered visitors, but not sure on it. But likely that those who visited Antarctica also visited other places. Unfortunately I lost track of where I saw it.Bystander said:There have actually been that many people go to Antarctica? Depends on definition of "visit;" is visiting just "base-running/tagging up," (day-tripping) or does it require spending some minimum time? e.g., does Ft. Lewis count for me as "visiting" if I'm claiming "n of the fifty states of the union?"
Klystron
Gold Member
- 1,264
- 1,980
Several countries maintain research centers on Antartica with personnel changing each 'summer'. That should help your visitor count.WWGD said:Makes sense. Antarctica may have been given a pass due to its special conditions to have cruise travelers considered visitors, but not sure on it. But likely that those who visited Antarctica also visited other places. Unfortunately I lost track of where I saw it.
- 1,098
- 1,385
(*fewer)
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
- 3,447
- 3,741
Yep. Per unit volume, Guinness has fewer calories than most beers. That even includes light-colored such beers as Budweiser, Coors, Corona, Heineken, etc.
(Actual light beers, e.g. Coors Light, Bud Light, have less calories than Guinness, but only by a little.)
The caveat is that Guinness is traditionally served in 20 fl oz (imperial) "pint" glasses, where many other beers are served in only 16 fl oz glasses or even 12 fl oz bottles/cans. It's so easy to drink a lot of Guinness.
(Actual light beers, e.g. Coors Light, Bud Light, have less calories than Guinness, but only by a little.)
The caveat is that Guinness is traditionally served in 20 fl oz (imperial) "pint" glasses, where many other beers are served in only 16 fl oz glasses or even 12 fl oz bottles/cans. It's so easy to drink a lot of Guinness.
- 20,819
- 28,467
Nope.WWGD said:Well, it's a matter of taste, of course.
Here is the user manual:
Last edited:
Klystron
Gold Member
- 1,264
- 1,980
This issue of beer drinking arose at a recent Saint Patrick's Day feast. Our hosts served Guiness and other Irish beers, plus Jameson cocktails, while I enjoyed berry flavored seltzer waters. The traditional Irish stew was also infused with Guiness stout with the brisket served separately in regard for vegetarians.
When conversation turned from beers to drinking milk, I shocked my Irish hosts with a decided preference for drinking skim milk. I love the light stuff, consuming one to two gallons per week.
When conversation turned from beers to drinking milk, I shocked my Irish hosts with a decided preference for drinking skim milk. I love the light stuff, consuming one to two gallons per week.
- 20,819
- 28,467
I like this one: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ButtermilkKlystron said:This issue of beer drinking arose at a recent Saint Patrick's Day feast. Our hosts served Guiness and other Irish beers, plus Jameson cocktails, while I enjoyed berry flavored seltzer waters. The traditional Irish stew was also infused with Guiness stout with the brisket served separately in regard for vegetarians.
When conversation turned from beers to drinking milk, I shocked my Irish hosts with a decided preference for drinking skim milk. I love the light stuff, consuming one to two gallons per week.
Klystron
Gold Member
- 1,264
- 1,980
fresh_42 said:I like this one: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buttermilk
Buttermilk can be drunk straight, and it can also be used in cooking. In making soda bread, the acid in buttermilk reacts with the raising agent, sodium bicarbonate, to produce carbon dioxide which acts as the leavening agent. ...
Yep, she made soda bread infused with fresh rosemary. Delicious. I saved a last biscuit for dinner.
Similar threads
- DJeffs
- · Replies 15 ·
- STEM Career Guidance
- Replies
- 15
- Cait
- · Replies 1 ·
- Astronomy, Astrophysics, Cosmology
- Replies
- 1
- Replies
- 2
.