What is the newest installment of 'Random Thoughts' on Physics Forums?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Evo
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Random Thoughts
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
11,071 replies · 760K views
Wonder if average length/width of shoes of a given person is large-enough to have one shoe fit snuggly, while requiring 25 minutes to put the other one on.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
WWGD said:
Wonder if average length/width of shoes of a given person is large-enough to have one shoe fit snuggly, while requiring 25 minutes to put the other one on.
If the shoe fits.
 
  • Haha
Likes   Reactions: Klystron
Don't forget the guy in Best in Show with two left feet.

Screen Shot 2022-03-01 at 11.04.54 AM.png
 
Maybe I just need to wear them for a few consecutive days, to break them in.
 
Some crazy guy suggested I put the shoe on the microwave " So the leather will expand".
 
:confused: Hows your DNS working ?
 
Attachments
  • DNS Issues.PNG
    DNS Issues.PNG
    14.8 KB · Views: 123
Oldman too said:
:confused: Hows your DNS working ?
This happens sometimes when the Cache is too full.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Oldman too
fresh_42 said:
This happens sometimes when the Cache is too full.
It helps forgetting the network you're using and flushing out the dns cache . You can do it in the Windows command line:
ipconfig/flushdns
 
  • Informative
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Oldman too and fresh_42
HI, thanks for the feedback. 👍That's not a "Random" thumbs up by the way.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: WWGD and fresh_42
I was just reading an old review/student evaluation from my days as an adjunct:" Does not follow a Class Plan ".

It reminds me of a Mike Tyson quote:" Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the face ". You have a plan, but all sorts of things happen in class that derail it, so you improvise a solution. Seems foolish to follow a plan for the plan's sake.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Oldman too
WWGD said:
I was just reading an old review/student evaluation from my days as an adjunct:" Does not follow a Class Plan ".

It reminds me of a Mike Tyson quote:" Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the face ". You have a plan, but all sorts of things happen in class that derail it, so you improvise a solution. Seems foolish to follow a plan for the plan's sake.
Exactly! this works on so many levels.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: WWGD
Ah, the thrill yesterday of putting( forcing) my shoes on. And today, the agony of de feet( yarg!).
 
Interviewing for an internship related to computational modelling... they send me a 30 page research paper at 11pm and ask for a report on it by - wait for it - 6pm tomorrow. :oldruck:
 
  • Wow
Likes   Reactions: Hamiltonian
ergospherical said:
Interviewing for an internship related to computational modelling... they send me a 30 page research paper at 11pm and ask for a report on it by - wait for it - 6pm tomorrow. :oldruck:
Sounds like something Google would do in their interviewing process... :smile:
 
I've received Zoon interview requests from morning to the afternoon of the same day.
 
Wow, first day in ages that I haven't had any caffeine. I remember reading that water treatment plants in many places register a non-trivial presence of caffeine in their reserves. Would be interesting to conduct a poll here in PF on the matter.
It brings up the issue of percentages in daily life.
 
ergospherical said:
Any withdrawal symptoms?
Three large naps. Had the day off from work. Nothing else I'm aware of, so far. But will check in with my dealer, the corner deli, tomorrow morning for my hit. One day's enough.
Edit: I bet I would have more symptoms after a few days. Won't try it.
 
Last edited:
Some utilities are metered like water and electricity. Others, such as sewage, are charged at a flat rate, regardless of consumption. The internet is like a sewer.
 
Keith_McClary said:
Some utilities are metered like water and electricity. Others, such as sewage, are charged at a flat rate, regardless of consumption. The internet is like a sewer.
Best thing about the Internet: It gives everybody a voice.

Worse thing about the Internet: It gives everybody a voice.
 
WWGD said:
I remember reading that water treatment plants in many places register a non-trivial presence of caffeine in their reserves. Would be interesting to conduct a poll here in PF on the matter.
I have only basil and absolutely no idea how much coffee it drinks over the day when I'm not looking.
 
ergospherical said:
Interviewing for an internship related to computational modelling... they send me a 30 page research paper at 11pm and ask for a report on it by - wait for it - 6pm tomorrow. :oldruck:
I had a friend who flew out the day before a job interview. A couple of the employees took him out to dinner, which involved cocktails, wine with the food, then after dinner drinks. Around 11 PM they told him he was to give a presentation "to the senior staff" at 9 AM the next morning. He did get the job.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: ergospherical
Wonder if it's really necessary to enter your email to unsubscribe from some email feed or they just want to verify yours is an actual email account.
 
ergospherical said:
Interviewing for an internship related to computational modelling... they send me a 30 page research paper at 11pm and ask for a report on it by - wait for it - 6pm tomorrow. :oldruck:
Any news?
 
Modern witchcraft? Google has an 'Undo' feature for sent emails (I think it lasts just a few seconds, though).
 
WWGD said:
Modern witchcraft? Google has an 'Undo' feature for sent emails (I think it lasts just a few seconds, though).
Microsoft Outlook can also do this (with no time limit) but I think it works only for internal Outlook-to-Outlook emails within an organisation, and it happens only after the recipient has logged into Outlook but before they have read the message. (It's called "recall" rather than "undo".)
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: WWGD
DrGreg said:
Microsoft Outlook can also do this (with no time limit) but I think it works only for internal Outlook-to-Outlook emails within an organisation, and it happens only after the recipient has logged into Outlook but before they have read the message. (It's called "recall" rather than "undo".)
Is Outlook the company that owns Hotmail? Never figured out the connection between the two.