What is the newest installment of 'Random Thoughts' on Physics Forums?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Evo
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Random Thoughts
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
11,071 replies · 756K views
Bystander said:
Just got Scott Adams' latest, Not Remotely Working, this a-noon and AI has a loonnngggg way to go far as proofreading flyleaf/jacket text; "...supply CHANGE...."
p.132, third daily, "...supply chain...."
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Bystander said:
p.132, third daily, "...supply chain...."
Change you CAn't believe in.
 
The Taga in Siberia changed its name when Sylvester Stallone moved there. He's currently the i of the Taiga.
 
  • Haha
Likes   Reactions: nuuskur
When I'm hungry, 'workshops' sounds like 'pork chops'. If I'm thirsty, Friedrich ( As in Carl Friedrich Gauss) sounds like ' Free drink'.
 
Last edited:
  • Haha
Likes   Reactions: pinball1970
I'm a bit underwhelmed with the news stories about the fusion "breakthrough". It's great that they got more power out of the system than they put in but it's nothing close to the power that they used. The lasers are very inefficient and require much more energy than they deliver. All of the news stories are only comparing the delivered energy to the energy received from the fusion reaction. If you compare the total power used to the output, there is still a long way to go.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Rive, BillTre, collinsmark and 1 other person
Borg said:
there is still a long way to go.
Agreed.
Perhaps it should/could be considered as a "Proof Of Concept."
After all, that is what the Wright Brothers supplied.
 
This guy telling me how he survived back in the 70s, in San Diego, by sleeping in his car and making enough for basic expenses ( he did have a job )by recycling cans, which were $0.02 each, and two for $0.05. I doubt the whole can-recycle can do little but barely break even. His total of all such monthly expenses was $150, according to him.You need to travel to several source areas, then drive to the recycling center, you will likely have some competition, etc. It was an interesting story, but not too believable, so I let it slide.
Nowadays, though, with several cars, sleeping in a car may be, other than the whole bathroom thing, more comfortable than doing so at an apartment.
 
I've always found that the best way to save money is to stay educated and earn more of it. :wink:
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Tom.G, BillTre, WWGD and 1 other person
Borg said:
I've always found that the best way to save money is to stay educated and earn more of it. :wink:
Sure. Just that I doubt you can break even at all. I see people walking around with bags full of cans, and it seems like a fool's errand.
 
Here's an interesting bit from Glassdoor:
20221216_134928.jpg
 
As far as salaries go, I wouldn't consider that as making much of a killing.
 
  • Like
  • Haha
Likes   Reactions: BillTre and WWGD
Borg said:
As far as salaries go, I wouldn't consider that as making much of a killing.
Wonder the many akward cases of executors applying for the job.
 
I like this journal cover:

Screenshot 2022-12-16 at 1.32.09 PM.png
Insects and similar animals (like crustaceans) have a simple computer like nervous system.
 
Last edited:
  • Like
  • Wow
Likes   Reactions: DennisN, pinball1970, collinsmark and 2 others
Rocket powered go-kart anyone?!


I resemble that appearance. :-p
😆
 
  • Haha
  • Wow
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: collinsmark, pinball1970, DennisN and 3 others

No good deed goes unpunished​

https://www.wxyz.com/news/local-new...-did-detroit-police-accuse-her-of-stealing-it
She tried to return a lost credit card. Why did Detroit police accuse her of stealing it?
Judge calls prosecution 'absurd and ridiculous and wrong,' tosses charges
For four months, Sandra fought to clear her name. In October, the case went to a jury trial where—finally—her nightmare came to an end.

“This is unbelievable to me,” said an exasperated Judge Paul Cusick of Wayne County Third Circuit Court. “No trier of fact—even in the light most favorable to the prosecution—could ever think that Ms. Wilson is guilty beyond a reasonable doubt.”

Before the case could go to the jury, Judge Cusick threw it out.

“Absurd and ridiculous and wrong,” he bellowed. “And this was not a thorough investigation.”
 
  • Sad
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: collinsmark, Borg and BillTre
Don't know if it is a coincidence. When I started using my step -tracking app on my phone, I'd get ads for weigh loss products, , discount food, cigarettes. Now, after a total of some 80k steps, I got one for ETFs, and one for Mazda. Im moving all up.
 
WWGD said:
When I started using my step -tracking app on my phone, I'd get ads for weigh loss products, , discount food, cigarettes.
I dislike this sort of thing, which is why all my privacy settings are set to "nope".

Vaguely related: https://www.wastedtalent.ca/comic/big-mother-watching (for context, the woman in the comic is the author herself, and she got married a month or two before this one was published).
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: WWGD
Ibix said:
I dislike this sort of thing, which is why all my privacy settings are set to "nope".

Vaguely related: https://www.wastedtalent.ca/comic/big-mother-watching (for context, the woman in the comic is the author herself, and she got married a month or two before this one was published).
Yes, I've been putting off doing that for a while now. I do remember, though, the story about the father who suddenly started receiving coupons for pregnancy-related products, supposedly for his daughter. And, puff, her daughter ended up pregnant. It was found that the company in question had machine-learnt the daughters purchases and concluded she either was or soon would be pregnant.
 
WWGD said:
Yes, I've been putting off doing that for a while now.
I take it you mean increasing your privacy settings? I find I do actually see fewer ads and the ones I do see are largely irrelevant to me and hence much easier to ignore.
 
Ibix said:
I take it you mean increasing your privacy settings? I find I do actually see fewer ads and the ones I do see are largely irrelevant to me and hence much easier to ignore.
I had taken a roundabout approach, offering false information, to throw them off. I recently was congratulated on my fourth birthday of the year by Google, and my bank. Just curious as to what type of rapport my bank believes I have with them to inject themselves into my private life.
 
  • Haha
Likes   Reactions: berkeman
So what's the big deal with leap years ? Arent they just the ones that are divisible by 400?
Just looking at other definitions that seem unnecessarily complicated, that consider division
by 4, by 100, etc. Just test whether it's divisible by 400!
 
WWGD said:
So what's the big deal with leap years ? Arent they just the ones that are divisible by 400?
Just looking at other definitions that seem unnecessarily complicated, that consider division
by 4, by 100, etc. Just test whether it's divisible by 400!
So the next leap year will be 2400?
 
DrGreg said:
So the next leap year will be 2400?
I believe so. I've seen some very long, roundabout definitions that just seem to amount to that. Wonder if I'm missing something.
 
WWGD said:
I believe so. I've seen some very long, roundabout definitions that just seem to amount to that. Wonder if I'm missing something.
You mean NOT leap years?
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: collinsmark and Borg
Bystander said:
You mean NOT leap years?
Aren't 2000, 2400, 2800, etc. Leap years?
 
Leap years are every four years except if the year is divisible by 400. The year 2000 was not a leap year.
 
WWGD said:
Aren't 2000, 2400, 2800, etc. Leap years?

Yes, but so is 2024.

Borg said:
Leap years are every four years except if the year is divisible by 400. The year 2000 was not a leap year.

That's not quite right. The year 2000 was a leap year.

Every year evenly divisible by 4 is a leap year, unless...

Unless it is also evenly divisible by 100, in which case it is not a leap year, unless...

Unless it is also evenly divisible by 400, in which case it is a leap year.

[Edit: this is how the Gregorian calendar works. Other calendars may have different rules.]
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: WWGD and Borg
Ah. My bad. It's been a while and I got thrown off a bit.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: collinsmark