What is the newest installment of 'Random Thoughts' on Physics Forums?
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
11,071 replies · 758K views
Physics news on Phys.org
- 20,819
- 28,467
Are you watching the same match? It is a rare event if games are decided by only FG.dlgoff said:Neither. It's going to be a butt kick match. Go Chiefs!
- 20,819
- 28,467
That was amazing, too. And hard to believe.dlgoff said:Mahomes is amazing.
- 20,819
- 28,467
Looks as if FG do decide games.
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
- 7,908
- 13,226
You know, Russians used to have this thing , not sure the name, a device attached that would send electricity through your body, mimmicking, or at least trying to , the effects of exercise on muscles, without any actual movement .Ivan Seeking said:Getting fit is contagious! Three guys at work are back on their programs because I started back on mine.
We have great facilities where I live. But through work we get a free membership at the local YMCA, which has amazing equipment. You wear an RFID tag like a watch which each machine reads. The machine then automatically sets your weight, with one weight set while extending, and a different weight set while retracting! And it automatically increases your weights over time. How cool is that!!!!
I like using our gym because it's convenient and reasonably equipped. I just throw on my sweats and walk to the gym in 5 minutes. No driving or locker room or crowds. And I almost always have it all to myself. But I have to admit that the stuff at the Y is very cool!
I personally don't use BMI. It doesn't take into account people who work out and have increased muscle mass. I actually gained back all the weight I lost ten years ago. But I was two pant sizes smaller than before. The difference is the amount of muscle added the first round! But the BMI would suggest that there was no difference.
I don't own a scale either. My belt size tells me all I need to know.
Science Advisor
Gold Member
- 5,661
- 4,509
There are similar units available in the USA called TENS units (transcutaneous electrical nerve stimulation). They are sold for use as pain relief and seem to be a lower-power version of the muscle stimulators.
Here is an article at the Cleveland Clinic:
https://my.clevelandclinic.org/heal...nscutaneous-electrical-nerve-stimulation-tens
(above, and seller links, found with:
https://www.google.com/search?q="TENS"+therapy)
Here is an article at the Cleveland Clinic:
https://my.clevelandclinic.org/heal...nscutaneous-electrical-nerve-stimulation-tens
(above, and seller links, found with:
https://www.google.com/search?q="TENS"+therapy)
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
- 8,252
- 2,666
Today I was reminded of an experiment I witnessed when I was about age ten or even a bit younger. Color TVs were out but most people still had black and white sets. Ours was still black and white. A local TV station ran an experiment to see if they could produce color on black and white sets. It was only many years later that I realized what I had seen.
I don't know the proper name for the effect, but I've seen it demonstrated in a science museum. There was a wheel with black and white squares along the circumference. As the wheel begins the spin, the black and white squares begin to look green.
That is what the TV station had tried. They flickered the color of areas of the screen from black to white to black repeatedly and produced the color green. I think they were trying for other colors, but we only saw green. I never did understand what I had seen until about 30 years later when I was at the museum. I suddenly remembered that test and how cool it was. And then AHAH! THAT'S what they were doing.
I don't know the proper name for the effect, but I've seen it demonstrated in a science museum. There was a wheel with black and white squares along the circumference. As the wheel begins the spin, the black and white squares begin to look green.
That is what the TV station had tried. They flickered the color of areas of the screen from black to white to black repeatedly and produced the color green. I think they were trying for other colors, but we only saw green. I never did understand what I had seen until about 30 years later when I was at the museum. I suddenly remembered that test and how cool it was. And then AHAH! THAT'S what they were doing.
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
- 8,252
- 2,666
Brain teaser: If you are driving with a helium balloon in your car and hit the accelerator, which way does the balloon go and why.
Science Advisor
- 3,648
- 10,067
With an air-filled balloon, the balloon will go backward, like any normal object. But with a helium-filled balloon, it will go forward during acceleration.Ivan Seeking said:Brain teaser: If you are driving with a helium balloon in your car and hit the accelerator, which way does the balloon go and why.
Why? Because of Zephaniah 1:8 :
It is clear that God hates people with strange apparel. And who wears strange apparel? Clowns. And what do clowns love? Helium-filled balloons. So God hates helium-filled balloons.And it shall come to pass in the day of the LORD'S sacrifice, that I will punish the princes, and the king's children, and all such as are clothed with strange apparel.
And that is why you should never trust helium-filled balloons.
Context: This is a real argument I read somewhere on a Neo-Christian forum, years ago, that was refuting a physics experiment involving a balloon whose result did not agree with what they were trying to prove. I love it so much and I always wanted to use it somewhere. Thank you for this opportunity!
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
- 8,252
- 2,666
So you don't know why.jack action said:With an air-filled balloon, the balloon will go backward, like any normal object. But with a helium-filled balloon, it will go forward during acceleration.
Why? Because of Zephaniah 1:8 :
It is clear that God hates people with strange apparel. And who wears strange apparel? Clowns. And what do clowns love? Helium-filled balloons. So God hates helium-filled balloons.
And that is why you should never trust helium-filled balloons.
Context: This is a real argument I read somewhere on a Neo-Christian forum, years ago, that was refuting a physics experiment involving a balloon whose result did not agree with what they were trying to prove. I love it so much and I always wanted to use it somewhere. Thank you for this opportunity!
Swamp Thing
- 1,076
- 844
Ivan Seeking said:So you don't know why.
TL;DR : YDK
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
- 8,252
- 2,666
So you don't know.Swamp Thing said:TL;DR : YDK
Science Advisor
- 3,648
- 10,067
I always do - like every first poster on PF - a thorough web search: https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=car+balloon+accelerationIvan Seeking said:So you don't know why.
"Knowing" is soooo 20th century!
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
- 8,252
- 2,666
It wasn't an appeal to magic knowledge or search skills. It is a fun little mental exercise for those who don't already know the answer.jack action said:I always do - like every first poster on PF - a thorough web search: https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=car+balloon+acceleration
"Knowing" is soooo 20th century!
- 13,926
- 16,804
I saw somebody on the bus once with a helium balloon. I spent the whole journey watching it doing its thing with my physics brain going "Yeah, totally normal" and my common sense brain going "Argh! Argh! Witchcraft!" It was an interesting clash.Ivan Seeking said:Brain teaser: If you are driving with a helium balloon in your car and hit the accelerator, which way does the balloon go and why.
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
- 8,252
- 2,666
The one that completely violates my expectation instinctively, is the following. It is simple math but intuitively a non-compute for me.Ibix said:I saw somebody on the bus once with a helium balloon. I spent the whole journey watching it doing its thing with my physics brain going "Yeah, totally normal" and my common sense brain going "Argh! Argh! Witchcraft!" It was an interesting clash.
Wrap a cord tightly around the earth at the equator [ignore all the practical issues]. Now add one foot to the length of the cord. What is the uniform gap formed between the cord and the earth if the cord is now pulled tight?
What is the radius of a circle having a one-foot circumference?
Too funny! Once I see a mathematical answer it usually makes perfect sense in the real world. But this one not so much.
- 13,926
- 16,804
You mean because the answer is about 4.8cm, independent of the radius of the Earth? You wrap a string around anything circular (the Earth, the Moon, the Leaning Tower of Pisa, a toilet roll), add a foot to the length of the string and you'll have a 4.8cm radial gap between your circular thing and your expanded circular string. Yeah, I agree it's one where you intuitively expect the gap to decrease as the size of the circular thing increases.Ivan Seeking said:Too funny! Once I see a mathematical answer it usually makes perfect sense in the real world. But this one not so much.
Mayhem
- 441
- 326
The most reason to pay attention in ODE/PDE classes is to know if your lecturer means t when he writes x and vice versa.
The rigor of a mathematician's reasoning is inversely related to the rigor of their handwriting.
The rigor of a mathematician's reasoning is inversely related to the rigor of their handwriting.
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
- 8,252
- 2,666
It always seemed like there should be a way to view the problem intuitively where it becomes obvious that the radius of C = 1 is simply added to the Cx radius. But I don't see it.Ibix said:You mean because the answer is about 4.8cm, independent of the radius of the Earth? You wrap a string around anything circular (the Earth, the Moon, the Leaning Tower of Pisa, a toilet roll), add a foot to the length of the string and you'll have a 4.8cm radial gap between your circular thing and your expanded circular string. Yeah, I agree it's one where you intuitively expect the gap to decrease as the size of the circular thing increases.
.
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
- 8,252
- 2,666
My favorite mind tweak from the world of classical physics, comes from the calculation for the retarded potential of a charge in motion. What is so strange is that even though everything is derived using the [delayed by the speed of light] retarded potential, which comes from where the charge was a moment ago, the electric field vector for an observer, points to or from where the charge actually is now [if the acceleration is 0...]
https://people.nscl.msu.edu/~witek/Classes/PHY432/Potentials and Fields/Potentials2.pdf
I realize there are problems with the conservation laws if this wasn't true, but it was never clear to me intuitively why we get such an elegant solution.
https://people.nscl.msu.edu/~witek/Classes/PHY432/Potentials and Fields/Potentials2.pdf
I realize there are problems with the conservation laws if this wasn't true, but it was never clear to me intuitively why we get such an elegant solution.
pinball1970
Gold Member
2025 Award
- 3,883
- 6,216
One is heavier than the other. Then I get stuck!
Ivan Seeking said:The one that completely violates my expectation instinctively, is the following. It is simple math but intuitively a non-compute for me.
Wrap a cord tightly around the earth at the equator [ignore all the practical issues]. Now add one foot to the length of the cord. What is the uniform gap formed between the cord and the earth if the cord is now pulled tight?
What is the radius of a circle having a one-foot circumference?
Too funny! Once I see a mathematical answer it usually makes perfect sense in the real world. But this one not so much.
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
- 8,252
- 2,666
I'm not sure what you mean. Are you referring to the balloon problem?pinball1970 said:One is heavier than the other. Then I get stuck!
pinball1970
Gold Member
2025 Award
- 3,883
- 6,216
Yes. I had to watch the YouTube explanation.Ivan Seeking said:I'm not sure what you mean. Are you referring to the balloon problem?
Mayhem
- 441
- 326
The Li-ion battery on my main laptop is pregnant and my backup PC sounds like a Geiger counter riding a motor cycle.
Great start to my thesis writing!
Great start to my thesis writing!
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
- 8,252
- 2,666
I had forgotten about this! Our names [my ex and I] went on a CD sent to Mars on one of the Rovers.
Similar threads
- DJeffs
- · Replies 15 ·
- STEM Career Guidance
- Replies
- 15
- Cait
- · Replies 1 ·
- Astronomy, Astrophysics, Cosmology
- Replies
- 1
- Replies
- 2