What is the newest installment of 'Random Thoughts' on Physics Forums?
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
11,071 replies · 753K views
Physics news on Phys.org
- 13,926
- 16,804
To the tune of "Ten Green Bottles":Borg said:Something like that.
Now I'm chasing a new bug that is likely due to removing the asterisk... sigh.
Ten little bugs, hiding in the code.
Ten little bugs, hiding in the code.
Fix one bug,
And re-compile the lot.
Eleven little bugs, hiding in the code.
pinball1970
Gold Member
2025 Award
- 3,878
- 6,213
The COVID19 deniers seem to be re-emerging on YouTube. Admittedly I should just watch Dr Becky and Sabine and stay away from these comments but hey.
Anyway I have been challenged to debate and I have accepted. Perhaps it was a bluff but let's see.
I am actually interested on how these people think, how did they get to the point where they distrust the medical/ Science community so much.
Anyway I have been challenged to debate and I have accepted. Perhaps it was a bluff but let's see.
I am actually interested on how these people think, how did they get to the point where they distrust the medical/ Science community so much.
- 20,819
- 28,467
There is still hope ...
pinball1970
Gold Member
2025 Award
- 3,878
- 6,213
Don't get your hopes too high.fresh_42 said:
https://www.nationalnumbers.co.uk/blog/2020/10/funny-number-plates.html
- 20,819
- 28,467
Today, 9.11. (9th of Nov.), is the most frightening day of the year for several reasons in our history (1848,1918,1923,1938,1989). Strange to see the association due to the notation.
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
- 7,908
- 13,226
It's a " mirror day", like all days where the day of the month is less than 12, i e., the swap mm/dd <-->dd/mm produces a legitimate date. Here,fresh_42 said:Today, 9.11. (9th of Nov.), is the most frightening day of the year for several reasons in our history (1848,1918,1923,1938,1989). Strange to see the association due to the notation.
9/11 <-->11/9.
- 20,819
- 28,467
Sure, but both days mark historical events if written in the local notation. That's eerie.WWGD said:It's a " mirror day", like all days where the day of the month is less than 12, i e., the swap mm/dd <-->dd/mm produces a legitimate date. Here,
9/11 <-->11/9.
Admin
- 69,782
- 25,630
But why do 5.11 tactical pants and short have that strong strap in the back? What is it's purpose?
Turns out the 5.11 brand of tactical gear started with mountain climbing (hence the 5.11 climb difficulty rating), and the strong strap in the back was for holding carabiners on the climbs. It's not a reference to 911 emergency stuff...
http://68.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m6qcf9ViQ41qcb5h6.jpg
http://68.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m6qcf9ViQ41qcb5h6.jpg
Jarvis323
- 1,247
- 988
I've been watching youtube videos of people describing extreme and nightmarish psychedelic experiences.
One person claimed, in their drug induced visions, to have watched humans evolve and progress from apes to the present day and beyond. First opposable thumbs, then, fire, metallurgy, industrialization, the internet, and eventually colonization of space. Anyway, in his vision, some time after space colonization, Earth was obliterated by nuclear war. At that point, the youtube algorithm decided it was a good time to show some commercials. Probably, it thinks the heaviness of Earth being depicted as being destroyed is a good setting to make a sell. So, the first commercial is for some product sold by a company which happens to share the same name as me, and the commercial ends by saying my name. Then a second commercial starts and the first words are "This is the future you created".
So to summarize, the world is depicted as being destroyed and then I get, "<My name>. This is the future you created." Yeah, so I guess I understand the algorithm's logic. Heavy moment in the content, make it personal (how about a commercial with my name in it), make it relatable (how about a commercial that shares keywords with the title). No sophistication is required in the explanation. It's just good psychology to use association and leverage powerful sentiment, I guess. But I have to admit, if I were some other person who were more gullible, knew less about technology, or who were otherwise susceptible, I might be sitting here thinking I was a real life anti-John Conner or something. Youtube, or the universe, or what have you, did kind of blame me for destroying Earth, after all.
Instead, I just felt worry. Because, the world is full of people who are susceptible to this kind of thing. And, probably, the core audience of these videos (psychedelic experience videos) are some of the more susceptible. Other ads I've seen on Youtube lately include an ad for a secret bible verse which the government is covering up, because it contains the key to having your prayers be answered, and if all prayers were answered, then the pharmaceutical industry wouldn't make money, because nobody would be sick. Another ad I saw claimed that there was an impending truly apocalyptic attack on American patriots by the left.
So, anyways, it scares me a little the way algorithms seems to try to get personal, feed into people's fears, and help manipulators and charlatans target the vulnerable, etc.
One person claimed, in their drug induced visions, to have watched humans evolve and progress from apes to the present day and beyond. First opposable thumbs, then, fire, metallurgy, industrialization, the internet, and eventually colonization of space. Anyway, in his vision, some time after space colonization, Earth was obliterated by nuclear war. At that point, the youtube algorithm decided it was a good time to show some commercials. Probably, it thinks the heaviness of Earth being depicted as being destroyed is a good setting to make a sell. So, the first commercial is for some product sold by a company which happens to share the same name as me, and the commercial ends by saying my name. Then a second commercial starts and the first words are "This is the future you created".
So to summarize, the world is depicted as being destroyed and then I get, "<My name>. This is the future you created." Yeah, so I guess I understand the algorithm's logic. Heavy moment in the content, make it personal (how about a commercial with my name in it), make it relatable (how about a commercial that shares keywords with the title). No sophistication is required in the explanation. It's just good psychology to use association and leverage powerful sentiment, I guess. But I have to admit, if I were some other person who were more gullible, knew less about technology, or who were otherwise susceptible, I might be sitting here thinking I was a real life anti-John Conner or something. Youtube, or the universe, or what have you, did kind of blame me for destroying Earth, after all.
Instead, I just felt worry. Because, the world is full of people who are susceptible to this kind of thing. And, probably, the core audience of these videos (psychedelic experience videos) are some of the more susceptible. Other ads I've seen on Youtube lately include an ad for a secret bible verse which the government is covering up, because it contains the key to having your prayers be answered, and if all prayers were answered, then the pharmaceutical industry wouldn't make money, because nobody would be sick. Another ad I saw claimed that there was an impending truly apocalyptic attack on American patriots by the left.
So, anyways, it scares me a little the way algorithms seems to try to get personal, feed into people's fears, and help manipulators and charlatans target the vulnerable, etc.
Last edited:
Enigman
- 647
- 311
Gosh, y'all. I hope you have been well.
E: Oh look, I broke my hiatus and my comment count made the devil's number
E: Oh look, I broke my hiatus and my comment count made the devil's number

Enigman
- 647
- 311
I cast a heal, on the broken seal,
But a string cut, cannot be whole,
Except with a knot.
But a string cut, cannot be whole,
Except with a knot.
- 20,819
- 28,467
Memories: https://www.conservethesound.de/
(not meant as advertisement; listening to the samples is for free)
(not meant as advertisement; listening to the samples is for free)
- 20,819
- 28,467
How is that weird? It is the men's championship, and thus irrelevant in the US. But your girls have beaten ours in a friendly match.WWGD said:Kind of weird; barely heard a thing about the world soccer cup.
The question of whether and how to boycott the championship is all around here.
Don't be sad, Here is some news for you: Tom Brady is the only player who has won regular games in three different countries outside the US.
- 20,819
- 28,467
Because they are all male, and neither your women nor your Latin population is allowed to play.WWGD said:How/why are the men's championship irrelevant?
Edit: It is for the same reason as nobody here talked about the "World" series, although I saw some scenes on tv.
- 20,819
- 28,467
They did qualify. Group B with England, Wales, and Iran.WWGD said:Ah, I didn't notice they didnt qualify.
- 20,819
- 28,467
You have a world-class women's team but a third-class men's team.WWGD said:Then I don't get your initial point.
- 22,832
- 14,880
Now, lets get one thing clearWWGD said:Kind of weird; barely heard a thing about the world soccer cup.
- 13,926
- 16,804
That's fairly routine, I think. Men (even adolescents) are bigger and stronger than women, and there are limits to what advantages you can overcome with skill.WWGD said:Ah, ok. Still, iirc, the women's team was beat by a men's high school team.
- 22,832
- 14,880
Same reason there are weight classes in boxing and martial arts.Ibix said:That's fairly routine, I think. Men (even adolescents) are bigger and stronger than women, and there are limits to what advantages you can overcome with skill.
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
2025 Award
- 22,713
- 7,804
Too much generation, nowhere to send the surplus.
https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/mar...ff-from-national-electricity-grid/ar-AA146XXm
https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/mar...ff-from-national-electricity-grid/ar-AA146XXm
High winds during Sunday night toppled a tower in the South Australia-Victoria Interconnect.Wind farms and rooftop solar installations could be switched off in the coming days to protect South Australia's energy grid, with experts warning of the risk of more blackouts following the weekend's extreme weather.
The state remains cut off from the national electricity market after key infrastructure was toppled in the state's east.
Similar threads
- DJeffs
- · Replies 15 ·
- STEM Career Guidance
- Replies
- 15
- Cait
- · Replies 1 ·
- Astronomy, Astrophysics, Cosmology
- Replies
- 1
- Replies
- 2