What is the newest installment of 'Random Thoughts' on Physics Forums?
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
11,071 replies · 753K views
Physics news on Phys.org
- 13,926
- 16,804
Yes, for considerably longer than there have been Western dictionaries, apparently. They order by semantic categories, graphical elements, or pronunciation.WWGD said:Have wondered if there are dictionaries for languages , thinking of Chinese/Japanese, where words do not have a natural ordering.
Last edited:
Science Advisor
Gold Member
- 2,408
- 5,259
I've been testing a software package and have basically been having the following conversation this week.
Me: The tutorials don't work if I use the latest version of the code. I had to revert to an earlier version in order for the tutorials to work.
You should only use the current version of the code.

Me: The tutorials don't work if I use the latest version of the code. I had to revert to an earlier version in order for the tutorials to work.
You should only use the current version of the code.
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
- 7,908
- 13,226
Don't know how to pull myself out of this one. I had my " Dictionary of Mathematics " book with me. Someone asked me what's in it. I said , the list of all numbers. I noticed in a followup a few days, that they apparently believed it, did not realize I was kidding. It will be awkward to explain the whole thing.
DennisN
Gold Member
- 2,197
- 10,329
I thought of this quote today. It has actually become one of my favorite quotes.
- 20,819
- 28,467
Well, sounds as if you got the printed version ofWWGD said:Don't know how to pull myself out of this one. I had my " Dictionary of Mathematics " book with me. Someone asked me what's in it. I said , the list of all numbers. I noticed in a followup a few days, that they apparently believed it, did not realize I was kidding. It will be awkward to explain the whole thing.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_numbers
Science Advisor
Gold Member
- 2,480
- 2,231
You could ask the Hilbert Hotel for a list of their room numbers.fresh_42 said:Well, sounds as if you got the printed version of
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_numbers
- 20,819
- 28,467
I did when people used teleprinters. The strip is printing ...DrGreg said:You could ask the Hilbert Hotel for a list of their room numbers.
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
- 7,908
- 13,226
Maybe the one in California.DrGreg said:You could ask the Hilbert Hotel for a list of their room numbers.
- 13,926
- 16,804
You can print the list any time you likeWWGD said:Maybe the one in California.
But it will never end?
- 20,819
- 28,467
The number 8 says to the psychiatrist, I can’t lie down or we will be here forever.
- 13,926
- 16,804
Zero says "I could lie down but it wouldn't change anything".fresh_42 said:The number 8 says to the psychiatrist, I can’t lie down or we will be here forever.
- 20,819
- 28,467
Six told the doctor that he is a completely new number since the doctor prescribed him this MRA (mirror releasing agent).Ibix said:Zero says "I could lie down but it wouldn't change anything".
pinball1970
Gold Member
2025 Award
- 3,878
- 6,213
That took longer than the others. Edit: That's not a maths joke thing it just took me longer.Borg said:He was also afraid because 789.
OCR
- 996
- 936
WWGD said:Maybe the one in California.
Well, you can check out but you can never leave. . .
You're there. . . forever ! .
.
Science Advisor
- 3,766
- 2,215
But that would wipe out a large proportion of Internet activity. Oh, wait...DennisN said:I thought of this quote today. [...]
- 13,926
- 16,804
Song 2 is definitely an outlier in Blur's output - they were usually more Britpop than grunge.WWGD said:Finally found the name of the song. A bit of a letdown : "Song 2" by Blur. It's either the British version of nirvana, or the other way round.
Far and away the best thing about the Starship Troopers movie was the trailer set to that piece:
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
- 7,908
- 13,226
New acquaintance with annoying habit of turning questions into an exam. Rather than making them rhetorical, he puts you on the spot and expects you to answer them then and there. Seriously. No, I can't guarantee Bulgaria was never ruled by a lefthanded king.
Frabjous
Gold Member
- 1,978
- 2,445
Isn’t that what set Basil the Bulgar Slayer off?WWGD said:No, I can't guarantee Bulgaria was never ruled by a lefthanded king.
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
- 7,908
- 13,226
Haha, likely so. I recently just replied to him with a quote I made up from " John 3:16 +$2.99 for S&H". I think I left him confused -enough to have him try to avoid me next time.Frabjous said:Isn’t that what set Basil the Bulgar Slayer off?![]()
Science Advisor
- 3,766
- 2,215
WWGD said:New acquaintance with annoying habit of turning questions into an exam. Rather than making them rhetorical, he puts you on the spot and expects you to answer them then and there. Seriously. No, I can't guarantee Bulgaria was never ruled by a lefthanded king.
This sounds like a case for Russel's Teapot:Russell's teapot is an analogy, formulated by the philosopher Bertrand Russell (1872–1970), to illustrate that the philosophic burden of proof lies upon a person making empirically unfalsifiable claims, rather than shifting the burden of disproof to others.
[Alternative answer: "Google it, mate!"]
Similar threads
- DJeffs
- · Replies 15 ·
- STEM Career Guidance
- Replies
- 15
- Cait
- · Replies 1 ·
- Astronomy, Astrophysics, Cosmology
- Replies
- 1
- Replies
- 2
