What is the newest installment of 'Random Thoughts' on Physics Forums?
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
11,071 replies · 753K views
Physics news on Phys.org
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
2025 Award
- 22,713
- 7,804
Great letter from the new US Secretary of Defense, Gen James Mattis
Thomas Ricks on Mattis
http://foreignpolicy.com/2016/11/21...-means-for-us-for-the-military-and-for-trump/
Mattis is a prolific reader.It’s good to be back and I’m grateful to serve alongside you as Secretary of Defense.
Together with the Intelligence Community we are the sentinels and guardians of our nation. We need only look to you, the uniformed and civilian members of the Department and your families, to see the fundamental unity of our country. You represent an America committed to the common good; an America that is never complacent about defending its freedoms; and an America that remains a steady beacon of hope for all mankind.
Every action we take will be designed to ensure our military is ready to fight today and in the future. Recognizing that no nation is secure without friends, we will work with the State Department to strengthen our alliances. Further, we are devoted to gaining full value from every taxpayer dollar spent on defense, thereby earning the trust of Congress and the American people.
I am confident you will do your part. I pledge to you I’ll do my best as your Secretary.
Thomas Ricks on Mattis
http://foreignpolicy.com/2016/11/21...-means-for-us-for-the-military-and-for-trump/
- 20,819
- 28,467
I bet they only wanted to blow something up ...
https://phys.org/news/2017-01-physicists-patent-detonation-technique-mass-produce.html
https://phys.org/news/2017-01-physicists-patent-detonation-technique-mass-produce.html
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
- 3,447
- 3,741
Ooh, I used to know that professor.fresh_42 said:I bet they only wanted to blow something up ...
https://phys.org/news/2017-01-physicists-patent-detonation-technique-mass-produce.html
zoobyshoe
- 6,514
- 1,255
That's pretty awesome. By complete accident they radically cut the expense and time it takes to make it.fresh_42 said:I bet they only wanted to blow something up ...
https://phys.org/news/2017-01-physicists-patent-detonation-technique-mass-produce.html
dkotschessaa
- 1,063
- 763
I think I found a mistake in Lord of the Rings (the movie version anyway).
They always show Lemdas bread as white. But clearly what they were eating was German whole Rye Bread from Aldi (the one on the right, though the other is good also). I'm supposed to even watch my carb intake, and eating bread usually crashes my blood sugar and makes me lethargic. But I swear that after consuming one slice of this stuff I am temporarily granted super human powers.
They always show Lemdas bread as white. But clearly what they were eating was German whole Rye Bread from Aldi (the one on the right, though the other is good also). I'm supposed to even watch my carb intake, and eating bread usually crashes my blood sugar and makes me lethargic. But I swear that after consuming one slice of this stuff I am temporarily granted super human powers.
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
- 7,908
- 13,226
Why don't you try putting some protein on your bread : butter, cheese, some meat, to help avoid the crash?dkotschessaa said:I think I found a mistake in Lord of the Rings (the movie version anyway).
They always show Lemdas bread as white. But clearly what they were eating was German whole Rye Bread from Aldi (the one on the right, though the other is good also). I'm supposed to even watch my carb intake, and eating bread usually crashes my blood sugar and makes me lethargic. But I swear that after consuming one slice of this stuff I am temporarily granted super human powers.
![]()
- 20,819
- 28,467
Won't help. Taste will still be awful. Healthy, but too sour.WWGD said:Why don't you try putting some protein on your bread : butter, cheese, some meat, to help avoid the crash?
dkotschessaa
- 1,063
- 763
WWGD said:Why don't you try putting some protein on your bread : butter, cheese, some meat, to help avoid the crash?
That's what I'm saying..With this bread it's much less of a problem. Some butter or cream cheese on it is good. I have it with eggs in the morning for more protein.
What I'm suspecting is that rye is somehow better for me.
dkotschessaa
- 1,063
- 763
fresh_42 said:Won't help. Taste will still be awful. Healthy, but too sour.
Had with cream cheese this morning and avacado on the side. Sehr gut.
- 20,819
- 28,467
In the 70's it's been a fashion to make canapés on small round pumpernickel pieces. They are certainly a plus on the nutrition side of food.dkotschessaa said:Had with cream cheese this morning and avacado on the side. Sehr gut.
zoobyshoe
- 6,514
- 1,255
You're triggering my OCPD:fresh_42 said:In the 70's it's been a fashion to make canapés on small round pumpernickel pieces. They are certainly a plus on the nutrition side of food.
"In the 70's, it was..." meaning it was in the 70's, but no longer is.
Or you might have meant:
"Since the 70's, it's been...," meaning it started in the 70's and is still ongoing today.
- 20,819
- 28,467
I'm not quite sure. The bio and green movement might have kept it alive. They definitely taste better with (healthy) cream cheese and avocados than they do with (unhealthy) burger patties.zoobyshoe said:You're triggering my OCPD:
"In the 70's, it was..." meaning it was in the 70's, but no longer is.
Or you might have meant:
"Since the 70's, it's been...," meaning it started in the 70's and is still ongoing today.
dkotschessaa
- 1,063
- 763
WWGD said:Have no fear, the Rooster is (almost, in the U.S) here. Good bye, Monkey, see you in 12.
My monkey son will be a year old (9 months adjusted) in less than two weeks. Hard to believe!
-Dave K
- 20,819
- 28,467
##11\,##?!
dkotschessaa
- 1,063
- 763
WWGD said:Ah, same old mistake. Can anyone tell what the mistake is?
http://www.chinahighlights.com/travelguide/chinese-zodiac/
"Those born in January and February take care: Chinese (Lunar) New Year moves between 21 January and February 20. If you were born in January or February, check whether your birth date falls before or after Chinese New Year to know what your Chinese zodiac year is."
Chinese new year was 2 days ago, yeah?
-Dave K
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
- 7,908
- 13,226
Bingo. I remember this guy's one-hour show at around midnight. He used to always say : " See you in 23 hours". But Dave's point is also valid, calendar is based on the first new moon in the period of Aquarius ( I don't mean astrologically, but the constellation).fresh_42 said:##11\,##?!
dkotschessaa
- 1,063
- 763
WWGD said:Bingo. I remember this guy's one-hour show at around midnight. He used to always say : " See you in 23 hours". But Dave's point is also valid, calendar is based on the first new moon in the period of Aquarius ( I don't mean astrologically, but the constellation).
All those "millennium parties" in the year 2000!
-Dave K
- 20,819
- 28,467
I always thought they celebrated the fact the bug didn't hit!dkotschessaa said:All those "millennium parties" in the year 2000!
-Dave K
(At least I kept watching Moscow at 10 p.m. ...)
- 20,819
- 28,467
WWGD said:Have no fear, the Rooster is (almost, in the U.S) here. Good bye, Monkey, see you in 12.
In this special case you have a pretty good excuse.WWGD said:Ah, same old mistake. Can anyone tell what the mistake is?
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
- 7,908
- 13,226
Yes, this is one of the two things I was thinking about . My database table has twelve...https://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20090401075830AAGhubTfresh_42 said:In this special case you have a pretty good excuse.
- 13,926
- 16,804
- 20,819
- 28,467
Why not? But how do they manage to get there?Ibix said:They have dinosaurs in your local zoo?
zoobyshoe
- 6,514
- 1,255
But they're very much less dangerous than the more exiting subgroups.BillTre said:Birds are a relatively boring subgroup of dinosaurs.
Similar threads
- DJeffs
- · Replies 15 ·
- STEM Career Guidance
- Replies
- 15
- Cait
- · Replies 1 ·
- Astronomy, Astrophysics, Cosmology
- Replies
- 1
- Replies
- 2