What is the newest installment of 'Random Thoughts' on Physics Forums?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Evo
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Random Thoughts
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
11,071 replies · 758K views
Woohoo. New avatar that is slightly different from my old one.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
dkotschessaa said:
Woohoo. New avatar that is slightly different from my old one.

You've aged.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: dkotschessaa and 1oldman2
BillTre said:
You've aged.

Mitch Hedberg: One time, this guy handed me a picture of him, he said "Here's a picture of me when I was younger." Every picture is of you when you were younger
 
dkotschessaa said:
Every picture is of you when you were younger.
My thoughts when I look in the mirror in the morning: Shall I shave? The guy in the past obviously isn't, so I didn't. A moment later, the guy, who was formerly my future wasn't either. So what sense would it make to shave?

Btw.: funny find on the internet: http://cosmos-book.github.io/high-jump/index.html
but don't let a kangaroo jump on Phobos!
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: dkotschessaa and BillTre
Not that I'm superstitious but my wife has an important job interview on Friday the 13th. :nb) :wideeyed:
 
Borg said:
Not that I'm superstitious but my wife has an important job interview on Friday the 13th. :nb) :wideeyed:
I've had an exam on a day comparable to Mardi Gras,
 
Borg said:
Not that I'm superstitious but my wife has an important job interview on Friday the 13th. :nb) :wideeyed:

Well, Fridays are generally regarded as the happiest day of the week, as it hails the coming of the weekend.

As for 13.

## 1^2 + 3^2 = 10 ## and then
## 1^2 + 0^2 = 1 ##

So 13 is a happy number.

So really it's the best day!

-Dave K
 
dkotschessaa said:
Well, Fridays are generally regarded as the happiest day of the week, as it hails the coming of the weekend.
And not to forget Freyja! (Mind the list she stands for!)

Btw.: An exercise (induction) in my first year's book on calculus has been to show that the 13th is more often a Frigg-day than any other weekday.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: dkotschessaa
fresh_42 said:
And not to forget Freyja! (Mind the list she stands for!)

Btw.: An exercise (induction) in my first year's book on calculus has been to show that the 13th is more often a Frigg-day than any other weekday.

So we've got a Norse sex goddess and a happy number on the same day. Wow! Happy Friday the 13th!
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: fresh_42
Ok, who new that Ritz crackers came in bacon flavor now and didn't tell me?
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Borg and collinsmark
Evo said:
who new that Ritz crackers
Seriously? Tsk. Tsk. Tsk.
 
Bystander said:
Seriously? Tsk. Tsk. Tsk.
My K key is sticking? :blushing:
 
Evo said:
My K key is sticking? :blushing:
Excuses. Excuses. Haven't noticed you posting "cute itten" stories.:wink:
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: fresh_42 and Evo
Evo said:
Ok, who new that Ritz crackers came in bacon flavor now and didn't tell me?
Are you, like me, one these "If in doubt, add bacon!" people? Although, I'd probably say add bacon and melted cheese :woot:
 
Borg said:
Not that I'm superstitious but my wife has an important job interview on Friday the 13th. :nb) :wideeyed:
Borg said:
Interview completed. Hoping for the best.
@fresh_42 and @dkotschessaa
You guys were right about it being lucky. She got an offer emailed to her this morning. :woot:
:partytime:
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: ProfuselyQuarky, fresh_42 and dkotschessaa
Borg said:
@fresh_42 and @dkotschessaa
You guys were right about it being lucky. She got an offer emailed to her this morning. :woot:
:partytime:

YEAH!
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: fresh_42 and Borg
San Diego deluged with rain today. I powered my old Beetle through a particularly deep river, maybe two feet deep. When I came out on the opposite bank my brakes were suddenly not grabbing very well. It seems plain water acts as a lubricant in these old drum brakes.
 
I really enjoy The Doctor Blake Mysteries. It's on PBS Saturday nights.

Dapper Dr. Blake is a "Police Surgeon" and low key alcoholic who solves a murder a week in Ballarat, Australia. The show is unique on US TV for being set in Australia. Blake is the only Australian fictional detective I'm aware of, and the show is doubly interesting for being set in the 1950's. They do a super job of re-creating the era: cars, clothes, hairstyles, props.
 
zoobyshoe said:
I really enjoy The Doctor Blake Mysteries. It's on PBS Saturday nights.

Dapper Dr. Blake is a "Police Surgeon" and low key alcoholic who solves a murder a week in Ballarat, Australia. The show is unique on US TV for being set in Australia. Blake is the only Australian fictional detective I'm aware of, and the show is doubly interesting for being set in the 1950's. They do a super job of re-creating the era: cars, clothes, hairstyles, props.
You haven't seen Ms.[/PLAIN] Fisher's Murder Mysteries? Also in Australia but around the 1920's
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Borg said:
You haven't seen Ms.[/PLAIN] Fisher's Murder Mysteries? Also in Australia but around the 1920's
Wow. I had that playing in the background while I was on the internet a couple times, and it completely failed to register she was Australian. Her accent sounds much more British.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Bad weather here. A lot of people had no power overnight. Today we're supposed to get an even worse storm: very high winds predicted. San Diego has this problem that eucalyptus trees have been planted everywhere. They're very brittle and don't stand up to wind well. Big, heavy limbs come crashing down.
 
OK, the forecast was full of dire predictions, but it's already almost 4PM and no rain at all. I guess the storm's been delayed due to weather.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Ibix and Borg
Borg said:
Makes me wonder if someday there will be fake-news anti-vaxxers.
?
And I thought me was the idealist ... FB is an entire fake-news-party and the orange-one just added Twitter and press conferences to the list! Just the immunization part seems to be too difficult to handle.
 
Maybe that didn't come out right. What I meant is whether the cambridge vaccine will someday be met with people believing that they shouldn't read the vaccine stories because it will cause some completely unrelated problem.