What is the newest installment of 'Random Thoughts' on Physics Forums?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Evo
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Random Thoughts
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
11,071 replies · 758K views
collinsmark said:
...stock markets are also closed on such paid holiday days.
Huh, I thought casinos never closed.
Ibix said:
That's an interesting definition of evil you have there. But it has its advantages - do what Zooby wilt shall be the whole of the law.
Are you saying they didn't close today to personally torment me? Poppycock!
 
Physics news on Phys.org
zoobyshoe said:
Huh, I thought casinos never closed.
Protective camouflage.

zoobyshoe said:
Are you saying they didn't close today to personally torment me? Poppycock!
Perhaps I should have said that's an interesting persecution complex you have there. <Adopts fake German accent>. Tell me all about your mother...
 
Ibix said:
Protective camouflage.

Perhaps I should have said that's an interesting persecution complex you have there. <Adopts fake German accent>. Tell me all about your mother...
Well, every time I asked her to buy me a toy she said, "Well, I would but all the stores are closed today!"
 
zoobyshoe said:
Well, every time I asked her to buy me a toy she said, "Well, I would but all the stores are closed today!"
I bet she told you the one about ice cream vans only playing music when they're out of ice cream, too.
 
Ibix said:
I bet she told you the one about ice cream vans only playing music when they're out of ice cream, too.
She never even told me what ice cream was.
 
That's funny! I still have no idea why I'm a Gold Member!:oldbiggrin:
 
I'm currently playing "Did I fail to use deodorant or is someone eating a sandwich with onions in the office?"
I do not like this game.

I think it's a sandwich.
 
dkotschessaa said:
I'm currently playing "Did I fail to use deodorant or is someone eating a sandwich with onions in the office?"
I do not like this game.

I think it's a sandwich.
You had mentioned earlier that you're relatively new to office life (white-collar employment outside of academia). The game you describe is quite common. It's a pastime; a funtime tradition that is deeply embedded in office culture. You may try to opt-out playing, but you'll find that your efforts are futile. Attempts to dissolve the game completely will only be met by scorn from your fellow coworkers, accusing you of curtailing personal freedoms.

My best advice is to learn to acquire a taste for vinegar+oil on sandwiches or salads, and keep a positive imagination. The rest will work itself out.

Although most people are merely muddled players, you may try to play competitively, either for fun or protest. But there are no trophies. If you do choose this route from time to time, there are immense opportunities involving microwavable casseroles.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: dkotschessaa
collinsmark said:
Although most people are merely muddled players, you may try to play competitively, either for fun or protest. But there are no trophies. If you do choose this route from time to time, there are immense opportunities involving microwavable casseroles.

Or you could take the chemical approach:
Dippel's oil
Who Me
Cadaverine
Putrescine
some of these are available from Sigma!
 
It's so difficult to say thank you online. I have the feeling it always sounds ironic even if I mean it honestly.
 
So... I was playing around with flowcharts this morning and one thing led to another... :rolleyes:

PhysicsForumFlowchart.jpg
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Evo, dkotschessaa, Tsu and 2 others
collinsmark said:
You had mentioned earlier that you're relatively new to office life (white-collar employment outside of academia). The game you describe is quite common. It's a pastime; a funtime tradition that is deeply embedded in office culture. You may try to opt-out playing, but you'll find that your efforts are futile. Attempts to dissolve the game completely will only be met by scorn from your fellow coworkers, accusing you of curtailing personal freedoms.

My best advice is to learn to acquire a taste for vinegar+oil on sandwiches or salads, and keep a positive imagination. The rest will work itself out.

Although most people are merely muddled players, you may try to play competitively, either for fun or protest. But there are no trophies. If you do choose this route from time to time, there are immense opportunities involving microwavable casseroles.

Oh, not new to this game. Just back after a long absence.

I used to work in Philadelphia, PA, home of Wawa and I think the origin of the term "hoagie." (rather than sub sandwich). I don't think they call them hoagies here, or at least they didn't until they started putting Wawas down here. What's great about Wawa is that they hired people from PA to come down and work the stores. I'm pretty sure when you step into a Wawa you are officially on Pennsylvania soil.

I realize the above paragraph probably sounds like baby-talk to our international audience.

-Dave K
 
This thread isn't as satisfying without @Evo every couple of pages. That might be a lot to ask though.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Evo
dkotschessaa said:
This thread isn't as satisfying without @Evo every couple of pages. That might be a lot to ask though.
Want to play "whack-an-Evo?
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: collinsmark and Tsu
Evo said:
Want to play "whack-an-Evo?

ME! ME! ME! I'll play! It'll be just like when we were kids...only Mom isn't here to yell at me!:oldlaugh:
 
zoobyshoe said:
She never even told me what ice cream was.
This is a great line I would like to use somewhere in a conversation, but I can't figure out how!
 
Wow, temperature will range today from 51 in the morning to 23 at night. How does one dress up for that?
 
WWGD said:
This is a great line I would like to use somewhere in a conversation, but I can't figure out how!

I don't know why, but this reminds me of this from Ghostbusters

Ray Stantz: You mean you never even had a Slinky?
Egon Spengler: We had part of a Slinky. But I straightened it.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: WWGD
Has anyone any idea how, where and even much more important, without being disrespectful or discriminating the question or the person who posted it, to make a pun on a thread title? I mean "Problem with Bose-Einstein Condensation" from @ShayanJ well-nigh begs for an answer like "Who hasn't? Ask an experimentalist!", but by no means and never do I want to disrespect neither question nor ShayanJ, the more I very much appreciate his contributions to PF because they almost always bear something to learn for me. But it's so hard for me not to ...
 
fresh_42 said:
Has anyone any idea how, where and even much more important, without being disrespectful or discriminating the question or the person who posted it, to make a pun on a thread title? I mean "Problem with Bose-Einstein Condensation" from @ShayanJ well-nigh begs for an answer like "Who hasn't? Ask an experimentalist!", but by no means and never do I want to disrespect neither question nor ShayanJ, the more I very much appreciate his contributions to PF because they almost always bear something to learn for me. But it's so hard for me not to ...

That's not disrespectful but I appreciate it that you're being careful about it.

I think the best way is quoting it here and replying, like this:

Problem with Bose-Einstein Condensation
Who hasn't?:biggrin:(EDIT: "ask an experimentalist" is good because it makes the joke more precise and decreases the probability that the joke reminds the subject any bad memories!)

I would have laughed because its a good quick joke and there would be no chance of misunderstanding because we hardly ever talked before and there is no past between us to make such a joke loaded in a bad way. But if you want to make such a joke and this still doesn't feel secure or you have a past with the subject that may make the joke loaded, you better be careful. Of course adding more explanation decreases the chance of any misunderstanding but depending on the personality of the subject your explanation may not be enough. But there is also the possibility that a good explanation added to a good joke may actually improve the relationship and fade the memories of any unfriendly confrontation in the past a little bit. So its good to make jokes if you're good at it and so its good to practice to become good at making jokes that make it clear that they're not loaded.

Also, I'm happy that I'm helping. Thanks for mentioning.:wink:
 
Last edited:
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: fresh_42
fresh_42 said:
Has anyone any idea how, where and even much more important, without being disrespectful or discriminating the question or the person who posted it, to make a pun on a thread title? I mean "Problem with Bose-Einstein Condensation" from @ShayanJ well-nigh begs for an answer like "Who hasn't? Ask an experimentalist!", but by no means and never do I want to disrespect neither question nor ShayanJ, the more I very much appreciate his contributions to PF because they almost always bear something to learn for me. But it's so hard for me not to ...
Isn't that what emoticons are for?
:oldtongue:
 
Enigman said:
Isn't that what emoticons are for?
There can be misunderstandings even so.
 
Bystander said:
There can be misunderstandings even so.

You mean there are some problems even emojis can't solve?

WHAT KIND OF WORLD ARE WE LIVING IN!?:)?:):cry::cry::cry::H:H:H
 
dkotschessaa said:
WHAT KIND OF WORLD ARE WE LIVING IN!?:)?:):cry::cry::cry::H:H:H
For example, Homer Simpson is regularly misused/misapplied ... ":doh:."