What is the newest installment of 'Random Thoughts' on Physics Forums?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Evo
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Random Thoughts
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
11,071 replies · 758K views
dkotschessaa said:
he now is starting to put things on top of other things.

Encourage that it's good for those little developing brains.

My three kids used to play blocks together. Middle one had an innate sense of balance - he would stack them as high as he could reach and the column wouldn't buckle. Made older sister jealous and she'd knock them over.

He became a mechanical engineer.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
jim hardy said:
Made older sister jealous and she'd knock them over.

He became a mechanical engineer.
So, did she go into politics?
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: jim hardy and dkotschessaa
dkotschessaa said:
This song sums up my feelings on NYC. Not really the individual lyrics* but the overall sentiment

That's awesome. I do enjoy the song and music.

There's similar sentiment on the other coast though.



[Edit: I think I prefer saxophones in lieu of traffic. That's just me though.]
 
Last edited:
collinsmark said:
That's awesome. I do enjoy the song and music.

There's similar sentiment on the other coast though.


Sorry, I don't get it, because my PC cannot output sound , despite my having tried just-about everything.
 
A worker that belongs to different unions belongs to the intersection of the unions, which may equal the union of the intersections ??
 
WWGD said:
A worker that belongs to different unions belongs to the intersection of the unions, which may equal the union of the intersections ??

We should complain to the set theorists union.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: fresh_42
dkotschessaa said:
We should complain to the set theorists union.
I did. They said: Let's blow dis joint.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: fresh_42
WWGD said:
I did. They said: Let's blow dis joint.

I guess no one signed the partition.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: WWGD
dkotschessaa said:
I guess no one signed the partition.
Sorry, I ran out of set theory puns. My pun-set is empty.
 
WWGD said:
Sorry, I ran out of set theory puns. My pun-set is empty.
That's clear, but what about the other extreme? Is the pun of all puns a pun?
 
jedishrfu said:
No.
upload_2017-6-6_22-43-42.png

http://www.saturdayeveningpost.com/...n-rockwell-art-entertainment/lucky-catch.html
 
jedishrfu said:
Where's your sense of adventure?
Probably lost in experience.
As long as I haven't been to the Great Canyon and the Baikal lake, mermaids range pretty far behind.
 
Nicola Escudero said:
I watched a mermaid documentary. Is it really true?

That you watched a mermaid documentary? Yes, probably
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Ibix
fresh_42 said:
Probably lost in experience.
As long as I haven't been to the Great Canyon and the Baikal lake, mermaids range pretty far behind.

Have never understood where the male mermaid fantasy comes from. How are you supposed to... you know?
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Ibix
Nicola Escudero said:
I watched a mermaid documentary. Is it really true?
Technically I shouldn't comment because I haven't seen the documentary (don't bother linking - it'll get removed for being pseudo-science). But my immediate thought process is "which is more likely: that there are creatures that are a fusion of a mammal and a fish when it's really difficult to cross-breed creatures as similar as lions and tigers, or that there are credulous fools who make documentaries about their foolishness?"
 
dkotschessaa said:
Have never understood where the male mermaid fantasy comes from. How are you supposed to... you know?
Have you not watched Futurama? They address that very question. The answer is that Phillip Fry is now divorced...
 
Ibix said:
Have you not watched Futurama? They address that very question. The answer is that Phillip Fry is now divorced...

YES. Exactly.

I had the thought before seeing the episode so I was pleased that they addressed it.
 
dkotschessaa said:
Have never understood where the male mermaid fantasy comes from. How are you supposed to... you know?
Yes. Nice solution. I've had the same thought, but couldn't figure out how to express it. Maybe something like: You have all the usual trouble but ...
 
Met with the Topology professor to do a postmortem on my qualifier. I was kind of close. Ironically I did better on algeabraic topology than on point set, which I thought would be reversed. And the ones I got wrong were the ones I thought I knew, but missed important details. So, 4 more months of study and I should be ok.

Also, the professors name auto-corrects to "Dr. Camelhair" in spellcheck so I need to be careful about sending him emails. (It hasn't happened yet)

-Dave K
 
Good luck!
dkotschessaa said:
Also, the professors name auto-corrects to "Dr. Camelhair" in spellcheck so I need to be careful about sending him emails.
I had a colleague whose name auto-corrected to "hashish".
 
Ibix said:
Good luck!
I had a colleague whose name auto-corrected to "hashish".

I remember the earlier days of e-mail spellcheck. (MS-mail or something?). It would just spell check and autocorrect automatically, and the dictionaries were not that large. I was doing secretarial work for a guy in a big company, and he had just met with somebody at Harvard the previous day.

"It was good meeting you at haggard yesterday."

-Dave K
 
Irrefutable proof, "It's as much whom you know as it is what you know"
From http://www.sciencemag.org/news/sifter/how-one-smart-doggo-got-editorial-boards-seven-medical-journals
http://www.perthnow.com.au/news/wes...u/news-story/a4de0d201ce420e0302c69532a399419
(Professor Daube said none of them smelt a rat, despite Dr Doll’s listed research interests in "the benefits of abdominal massage for medium-sized canines" and "the role of domestic canines in promoting optimal mental health in ageing males".

Today Ollie is being featured in a more reputable publication, the Medical Journal of Australia’s Insight magazine, which is looking at the surge in journals which charge desperate would-be researchers up to $3000 to get their studies published.)
 
Mistery cleared. The non-souther looking guy is named Lyubov, not Lou Bob, which was what I understood. That explains the Russian/Ukrainian accent, not often found in, e.g., Alabama.