What is the newest installment of 'Random Thoughts' on Physics Forums?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Evo
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Random Thoughts
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
11,071 replies · 758K views
WWGD said:
Well, I don't know if it is purely or mostly psychological, but my ability to sleep well seems to correlate negatively with the amount of coffee I drink after 7 p.m. or so. Still, I agree that there is a certain degree of desensitization. I will try black tea next few times I want to be more awake and then switch back to coffee. I don't know well what the difference is between the respective active ingredients. Still,obliquely , I remember reading a book about Starbucks which mentioned that the water purification systems in many systems just cannot get rid of all the caffeine , so much of it keeps poring into reservoirs.
Another anecdote from life: a chemist has told me, that she investigated so called caffeine-free products and found that none of them had been completely free of it. But as an important hint: If it should happen that you prefer Darjeeling, then hurry up. I've recently read that the tea pickers there went on strike in the main harvesting season and they expect a shortage down to 30% which will affect prizes in early 2018. Nobody shall say, that PF is only good for scientific reasons! D... I'm on my way to forget this and that I'll have to buy a package or two.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
fresh_42 said:
Another anecdote from life: a chemist has told me, that she investigated so called caffeine-free products and found that none of them had been completely free of it. But as an important hint: If it should happen that you prefer Darjeeling, then hurry up. I've recently read that the tea pickers there went on strike in the main harvesting season and they expect a shortage down to 30% which will affect prizes in early 2018. Nobody shall say, that PF is only good for scientific reasons! D... I'm on my way to forget this and that I'll have to buy a package or two.
Thanks for the heads up. In return, if you want some Venezuelan Cocoa/Chocolate ( supposedly very good quality; never tried it ), go for it now; I heave heard semi-serious rumors that Maduro, current president, will be shafted by , you know, don't want to be censored here at PF.
 
Last edited:
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: fresh_42
"Tastier than ever".I Never thought 'ever' was that tasty to start with...

They have the recycling bins right next to each other , with the tags lined up " Throw away" , "Plastic" , "Cans", as if it were an instruction. Not doing concat()nto " Throw away plastic cans".
 
Last edited:
I passed the technical test for my Big Data job! I just need to do well in the personal interview.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Borg
Noisy Rhysling said:
So, you sold out to Big Data? :biggrin:
Not yet ;) , only if the in-person interview goes well..
 
WWGD said:
Not yet ;) , only if the in-person interview goes well..
If it goes as planned see if you can get me a discount on some wholesale data?
 
Noisy Rhysling said:
If it goes as planned see if you can get me a discount on some wholesale data?
Bring the truck and load as much as you wish. It is a long way to the , well, not the top for sure, but still good.
 
Last edited:
WWGD said:
Bring the truck and load as much as you wish. It is a long way to the , well, not the top for sure, but still good.
Well, I have 200 terabyte of files now, the result of a 25 year collaboration among a dozen or so historians. Do you have a truck that big?
 
WWGD said:
I passed the technical test for my Big Data job!

You're joining Big Data ? Now there's an opportunity

If you can get bust the telemarketers you'll be a national hero..
All this high-tech-super-snoopery in the news yet Federal Trade Commission and NSA are a laughingstock..

There'd be a statue of you on every town square.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Tom.G
Noisy Rhysling said:
Well, I have 200 terabyte of files now, the result of a 25 year collaboration among a dozen or so historians. Do you have a truck that big?

Wow, I must say: "your data is bigger than mine!"
 
Noisy Rhysling said:
Well, I have 200 terabyte of files now, the result of a 25 year collaboration among a dozen or so historians. Do you have a truck that big?
My flash drive :). Try Aws, should not be too expensive unless you're uploading amounts that large in real time. EDIT: Set up an account, then log into your database using your AWS login and this will upload the database. 200 terabytes is not really that much by AWS standards, actually. You can use RDS , more automated less flexible or EC2, the reverse of RDS: More freedom , but this means that you must make most of the technical decisions.
 
Last edited:
I had a random thought in the shower about negative mass a few months ago, and I found it so interesting and amazing I created a video about it :D

 
jim hardy said:
You're joining Big Data ? Now there's an opportunity

If you can get bust the telemarketers you'll be a national hero..
All this high-tech-super-snoopery in the news yet Federal Trade Commission and NSA are a laughingstock..

There'd be a statue of you on every town square.
Those are laudable goals, but I don't see how the relate to Big Data.
 
WWGD said:
Those are laudable goals, but I don't see how the relate to Big Data.
Try supporting the telemarketers with Small Data (aka No Data).
 
WWGD said:
Those are laudable goals, but I don't see how the relate to Big Data.

I thought Big Data was Google, Facebook, Microsoft, et al combing the internet gathering information on us for the marketeers .

big da·ta
noun
Computing
noun: big data
extremely large data sets that may be analyzed computationally to reveal patterns, trends, and associations, especially relating to human behavior and interactions.

and that's why the 'cloud', so it's all readily accessible to Big Data.
 
jim hardy said:
I thought Big Data was Google, Facebook, Microsoft, et al combing the internet gathering information on us for the marketeers .
and that's why the 'cloud', so it's all readily accessible to Big Data.
My definition is data characterized by the 4 Vs: Volume, Variety, Velocity and Veracity. Although I agree that the companies you mentioned are major players.
 
Seems like Alan Turing made a sneak appearance in the original Blade Runner.


and
Alan_Turing_photo.jpg
 
Considering getting Moviepass just for watching the upcoming Blade Runner. The deal is so good that it pays for itself for 1 viewing per month if you're so economical and frugal. Though, 2-3 weeks shipping to get the card is kind of ridiculous.
 
Being exactly 20,000 days old is not something that happens to you more than once in a lifetime :woot:
 
Borek said:
Being exactly 20,000 days old is not something that happens to you more than once in a lifetime :woot:
Congratulations on Poland Day. Big parade in here. EDIT It seems it is Pulaski day.
 
Last edited:
Now for whatever reason, the @ sign disappeared from my Dell. Had to look it up online and paste it to access my email.
 
Borek said:
Being exactly 20,000 days old is not something that happens to you more than once in a lifetime :woot:
On Aug. 18th I was exactly 66.6 years old.
 
Noisy Rhysling said:
On Aug. 18th I was exactly 66.6 years old.

Soon, you will be 70 years old...
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Hawksteinman
Pretty confusing to hear this person pronounce "upload" as " applaud". I have no idea how to applaud a video. I guess : " alright, video, good going"?
 
WWGD said:
Soon, you will be 70 years old...
No, I locked it down at 66.6, per Boss Lady's suggestion.
 
Noisy Rhysling said:
No, I locked it down at 66.6, per Boss Lady's suggestion.
Rhysling, a.k.a Ben Buttons?
 
WWGD said:
Rhysling, a.k.a Ben Buttons?
Don't know him.