What is the newest installment of 'Random Thoughts' on Physics Forums?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Evo
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Random Thoughts
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
11,071 replies · 756K views
Seems like McDonald's has not learned its lesson regarding dealing with "squatters". I was there today, and security was using the same heavy-handed approach that had contributed to ugly scenes, confrontations between " squatters" and security, where police, and even other customers became involved.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
f9a0b193-6eff-4a00-85d1-3787ceca3314.jpg
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Ibix and jim hardy
Kind of weird how sometimes, when you are texting, it is not clear whether the exchange is over or the other party expects a reply. Maybe we should borrow ideas from truckers and say something like 10-4, to show exchange is over.
 
fresh_42 said:
Hopefully not!
Not sure I see what you and Om Cheeto are seeing.
 
WWGD said:
Not sure I see what you and Om Cheeto are seeing.
We see that Eratosthenes was wrong. I would add Columbus, too, but this cretin didn't know where he was anyway.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: OmCheeto
fresh_42 said:
We see that Eratosthenes was wrong. I would add Columbus, too, but this cretin didn't know where he was anyway.
...Or the Flat Earth Society was, is, right! ;).
 
Last edited:
Is this anyway to run a railroad?!

Waiting for a Train: Epic CSX Traffic Jam Sows Chaos From Coal to French Fries
http://www.msn.com/en-us/money/companies/waiting-for-a-train-epic-csx-traffic-jam-sows-chaos-from-coal-to-french-fries/ar-AAqygi1

The freight-train ride from Chicago to Colesburg, Tenn., usually takes a few days. Earlier this month, though, the ride was 18 days, 13 hours and 57 minutes, logs show.

A measurement of freight-yard delays called dwell time averaged 53.5 hours in Nashville in the latest week for which CSX has released figures, up 63% from a year earlier. Dwell time has more than doubled since April.

CSX took an Alabama-bound metals shipment to New Orleans, where it was handed off to a Union Pacific Corp. train and then headed west before turning around and eventually reaching Alabama, according to Mr. Wilmot.
 
fresh_42 said:
Why did the Beatles sing ˈdæns and not 'dɑːns?
When, Where, how?
 
I have noticed strangers who walk in direction opposite to mine, stare directly, blankly at me ( pretty sure they do it to many others) and then look away. I find it really annoying, so I will start doing it to others tomorrow ;).
 
WWGD said:
When, Where, how?
1964, A Hard Day's Night, Twickenham Studios, London, England, UK, That was my question.

 
WWGD said:
I have noticed strangers who walk in direction opposite to mine, stare directly, blankly at me ( pretty sure they do it to many others) and then look away. I find it really annoying, so I will start doing it to others tomorrow ;).
Make sure her boyfriend isn't stronger than you!
 
fresh_42 said:
Make sure her boyfriend isn't stronger than you!
Its usually not women, and I don't think it is on purpose, just annoying: " What the #@$ are you looking/staring at?"
 
fresh_42 said:
1964, A Hard Day's Night, Twickenham Studios, London, England, UK, That was my question.


Liverpool accent?
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Bandersnatch
WWGD said:
Its usually not women, and I don't think it is on purpose, just annoying: " What the #@$ are you looking/staring at?"
Try flashing a quick smile and say "Howdy" .
 
jim hardy said:
Try flashing a quick smile and say "Howdy" .
Yes, I am not quite there (yet?), though, yes, that is the best approach. Sometimes my mood is not good-enough for that.
 
Anyone know where Zoobyshoe is? Haven't heard (read) of him for a while.
 
WWGD said:
Anyone know where Zoobyshoe is? Haven't heard (read) of him for a while.

He appears to have become a lurker:
PF; "zoobyshoe was last seen: Today at 5:37 AM"

I think he may have figured out how the refrigerator I invented for him works, and is running off to the patent office with my idea.
Curse you Zoob!

ps. I want at least 1% of your net. Otherwise, I'll curse you some more...
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: WWGD
WWGD said:
Yes, I am not quite there (yet?), though, yes, that is the best approach. Sometimes my mood is not good-enough for that.
You could disguise yourself with a Stetson and a lumberjack shirt. I see many benefits doing so. ... <run, duck and cover>
 
I wonder if the name Ray Kiavik exists. Mr. Raymond Kiavik.
 
WWGD said:
Thanks, it seems it is a mythical character. Maybe like Reykiavik may be a mythical city? I don't know of anyone who's been there, so maybe it is made up.
Bobby Fisher would have contradicted this opinion. And IIRC I once knew a girl from there, but I'm not 100% sure anymore whether she has been from the city or just the island.
 
fresh_42 said:
Bobby Fisher would have contradicted this opinion. And IIRC I once knew a girl from there, but I'm not 100% sure anymore whether she has been from the city or just the island.
That is, of course, because Bobby Fischer is made up! ;). You can't beat circular reasoning and conspiracy theory-like arguments. Sadly, these types of argument do stand out in PF, but are common in a lot of other sites. Das Echt Mann show film , Herr Fresh.
 
Last edited:
Maybe I am just not hip-enough, but I don't get the whole Sunn0 ))) thing.