Science Advisor
Homework Helper
- 7,908
- 13,226
Dead snakes?ergospherical said:
Dead snakes?ergospherical said:
I almost whamed myself today while waiting at the airport ...DennisN said:I'm out of the game. I was listening to the radio today and they announced that they would play it, and I rushed to change the channel before the song started. I did not make it. I only lasted 8 days this year.
I never figured it out. However, I once said to someone: "Do you know why I dare to ask you a favor? It is because I know that you say 'no' if you don't like it." I meant that the possibility of two answers allowed me to ask at all. I would have felt uncomfortable if I had to ask someone who has difficulties saying no.kyphysics said:I can't help it and don't know how to politely say no.
https://www.cartoonstock.com/cartoon?searchID=CS148452kyphysics said:How to Handle These Requests?
"Hey, if you don't mind, it'd really help me out a lot if you could take a few minutes and leave me a good review."
Who's this you're referring to? I have had companies ask, by email , even almost demand, that I participate in reviewing them. I flat out ask if they will pay me for the review ( not implying I will necessarily give them a good review), as it is of value to them. I get either no reply or even generic replies along the lines of " you haven't yet filled our review!" .kyphysics said:How to Handle These Requests?
"Hey, if you don't mind, it'd really help me out a lot if you could take a few minutes and leave me a good review."
me (thinking to self): Dude, you were okay/average. Not bad in any way, but not great either. I usually only leave reviews when they are in one extreme or the other. I don't want to leave you a review at all, but it's hard to say, no. Drat. Okay, I'll come up with a fake "yes" and maybe just not do it later...
I suck. I usually lie in these situations. Lying is a morally wrong. I can't help it and don't know how to politely say no. Can someone help me come up with a good response?
Exactly!fresh_42 said:I never figured it out. However, I once said to someone: "Do you know why I dare to ask you a favor? It is because I know that you say 'no' if you don't like it." I meant that the possibility of two answers allowed me to ask at all. I would have felt uncomfortable if I had to ask someone who has difficulties saying no.
So instead of blaming yourself, you should blame the questioner. And only the ability to say 'no' puts you into a state where you can be asked about favors at all.
No, this was a furniture mover.WWGD said:Who's this you're referring to? I have had companies ask, by email , even almost demand, that I participate in reviewing them. I flat out ask if they will pay me for the review ( not implying I will necessarily give them a good review), as it is of value to them. I get either no reply or even generic replies along the lines of " you haven't yet filled our review!" .
I just say "oh, I see". I don't feel I'm committing myself to anything. If they push, you could just say "definitely not going to leave a positive review if you keep going on at me".kyphysics said:That turns me into the bad guy for lying. I mean...what am I supposed to say, "no" to him and make it all awkward and stuff?
I remember an episode of a tv show to the effect of that. In some cultures it is seen as rude to make a request others will feel uncomfortable refusing.kyphysics said:Exactly!
I won't say everyone who does this is playing manipulative mind games. Some might just be unaware of the "pressure" they put on someone. But, I feel a normal person should know that when they ask such a question, it is VERY HARD for the person to say no. I feel some askers know this and take advantage of it to get you to agree to write that review.
That turns me into the bad guy for lying. I mean...what am I supposed to say, "no" to him and make it all awkward and stuff?
If it is by phone, just feign a foreign accent/language and pretend you don't understand. Or start stuttering really badly in response. Edit:Or start bringing up really far out conspiracy theories.Ibix said:I just say "oh, I see". I don't feel I'm committing myself to anything. If they push, you could just say "definitely not going to leave a positive review if you keep going on at me".
There is a common "cheese" from the middle east (iirc) called lebnah, which is basically yoghurt that is thickened to the consistency of cream cheese.WWGD said:In further fascinating news on yogurt, I have read that some French describe it as a type of cheese.
It's a thin line, I guess. Just wonder , when they came up with cottage cheese: how did they know when they were done. Without going into details, looks like undigested or semi-suggested food.valenumr said:There is a common "cheese" from the middle east (iirc) called lebnah, which is basically yoghurt that is thickened to the consistency of cream cheese.
They knew what was in there! And it was neither grey nor green, so it would have probably been safe to test. I find it much harder to answer how they figured out which mushrooms were eatable.WWGD said:Without going into details, looks like undigested or semi-suggested food.
Some surely paid the price: " Hey, this one is edib...argh".fresh_42 said:They knew what was in there! And it was neither grey nor green, so it would have probably been safe to test. I find it much harder to answer how they figured out which mushrooms were eatable.
Automated messages are so personal!WWGD said:Going back to the topic of intrusive companies, my friend is pretty pissed about his bank sending him a 'Happy Birthday' email. As if the bank was a close friend of his.
Specially when they're not done carefully: Dear Mr _(Fill in the Blanks)_ , we wish you a Happy _{Enter Holiday Name]_valenumr said:Automated messages are so personal!