What is the newest installment of 'Random Thoughts' on Physics Forums?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Evo
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Random Thoughts
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
11,071 replies · 762K views
Interest suggestion for cheaper air fares: After original search, empty your cache to rid of cookies ,so that airline sites don't know you've done a recent search with them.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
WWGD said:
--Discrete , absorbent underwear
Those are the one-use pairs.

The "invisible" ones that come in plain boxes are "Discreet, absorbent underwear."
 
gmax137 said:
Those are the one-use pairs.

The "invisible" ones that come in plain boxes are "Discreet, absorbent underwear."
I remember a really disgusting ad for them " Now you can hug with confidence". How was it before? The grandson/granddaughter saying " I don't like hugging grandpa, he's always wet"?
 
  • Haha
Likes   Reactions: gmax137
So I select a bunch of emails from the mailbox ; Ctrl+A, and move them to the folder. Then I see more emails to be sent to the folder. Ctrl+A, and move them. A third time. Then I realized the messages I found the 2nd, third time were already in the destination folder. Projection map satisfies P^2=P; P^3=P^2(P)=P. Duh
1
 
Having trouble with the change from 3G to 5G. Though some strange things happening. I can't send texts but I can't receive any. I can't access the web nor use Whatsapp nor the phone.

Don't know if it's a coincidence but 3 people I know , all of whom lived in Communist countries, and all with college degrees, are refusing to be vaccinated. Edit: Not sure why, when I asked them they just make a Po-Poker face.
 
Coffee +Internet =Coffee Shop

Coffee+ Internet + Bathroom+ Outlets = Secular Temple.
 
I am still writing 2021...I do this every year when we change to a new calendar year...my brain has to adjust.

Who else is writing 2021 in 2022 as the date?
 
kyphysics said:
I am still writing 2021...I do this every year when we change to a new calendar year...my brain has to adjust.

Who else is writing 2021 in 2022 as the date?
Usually takes a week-or-two to adjust for me.
 
kyphysics said:
I am still writing 2021...I do this every year when we change to a new calendar year...my brain has to adjust.

Who else is writing 2021 in 2022 as the date?

I don't even know what decade it is half the time.

Once I went into the auto-parts store to get something for my car. The technician asked what year my car was. I said, "It's ah, hmm, what year um... Oh, wait, I remember, it's a one-thousand, six."

He just stared at me blank faced. I was expecting him to type that into his computer thingy that tells him what part to get. But nothing. He stood motionless and silent. It was somewhat unnerving. He just stood there motionless, transfixed on me.

I had to double check my appearance. Did I spill mustard on my shirt? Was I even fully dressed? Yep, everything checked out. So what's going on? I asked myself. This awkward silence continued for an uncomfortably long time. Then it hit me: 1006. "Oh, sorry, it's a 2006 Hyndai." Finally, he started typing.

Yes, I was off by a thousand years.
 
Last edited:
  • Haha
Likes   Reactions: hutchphd and BillTre
Uhmm, don't try to get a job as a bookkeeper.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: collinsmark
Tom.G said:
Uhmm, don't try to get a job as a bookkeeper.
Have you ever seen an end-of-quarter financial report?
 
Gotta be careful when filling out records too.

Say you got to the doctor's office, you might be filling out something important and with the wrong year...if the staff don't catch it, it could be on there.

If I was some kind of front desk staff responsible for checking dates...I'd probably mess up a lot in January. I've filled out checks with the wrong year before!
 
I have used an elevator today that had a name. There was a big sign at its door reading

Clint Eastwood Elevator​
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: BillTre and Keith_McClary
fresh_42 said:
I have used an elevator today that had a name. There was a big sign at its door reading

Clint Eastwood Elevator​

Did you feel lucky?
 
  • Like
  • Haha
Likes   Reactions: jack action and gmax137
BillTre said:
Did you feel lucky?
I ended up at the wrong level that later turned out to be the right level. -_-_

Now that I think about it. The elevator led to the central emergency unit ...
 
Last edited:
collinsmark said:
I don't even know what decade it is half the time.

Once I went into the auto-parts store to get something for my car. The technician asked what year my car was. I said, "It's ah, hmm, what year um... Oh, wait, I remember, it's a one-thousand, six."

He just stared at me blank faced. I was expecting him to type that into his computer thingy that tells him what part to get. But nothing. He stood motionless and silent. It was somewhat unnerving. He just stood there motionless, transfixed on me.

I had to double check my appearance. Did I spill mustard on my shirt? Was I even fully dressed? Yep, everything checked out. So what's going on? I asked myself. This awkward silence continued for an uncomfortably long time. Then it hit me: 1006. "Oh, sorry, it's a 2006 Hyndai." Finally, he started typing.

Yes, I was off by a thousand years.
Maybe a Flinstone -Yabba, Yabba doo? Did you use your feet for impulse after coming out of the quarry?
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: collinsmark
WWGD said:
Maybe a Flinstone -Yabba, Yabba doo? Did you use your feet for impulse after coming out of the quarry?
Or did the employee use hammer and chisel to note your order?
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: collinsmark
So the move to 5G is eminent and will happen soon. Now , I have 4G, so not sure where I fit into the whole new scheme. Just need to be able to access 5G Wifi from a 4G phone to transfer all my content to the new phone.
 
I have installed a cookie cleaner add-on. It displays the number of cookies a site wrote. The interesting result so far:
PF 13-15
FB 8
NFL 91
 
fresh_42 said:
displays the number of cookies a site wrote
There is also Privacy Badger which blocks some number of "potential trackers".
 
I would like to be in the beach. I guess I have sand wish.
 
With our masonry heater every cold day comes with a low RH period. Right now it is around 20%.
Itch age.
 
Seems like grilled chicken chain "Pollo Tropical" (Chicken from the Tropics) has branches in Russia. I can imagine people eating chicken wearing 5 coats staring at the palm trees in the PT logo.
 
Wonder what a world would be like where it was possible to model relations without noise, e.g., grades vs hours studied or BP from hours of exercising, etc.
 
I noticed a green spot in my big toe nail. Concerned, I started scraping it and a whole layer on top of the original nail came of. Kind of scary, I initially thought the actual nail was coming off, but it turned out to be the layer.

Edit: I almost posted this to "How do you drink your coffee". Would have been a weird fit.
 
Last edited:
  • Haha
Likes   Reactions: docnet