What is the newest installment of 'Random Thoughts' on Physics Forums?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Evo
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Random Thoughts
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
11,071 replies · 773K views
kyphysics said:
Is It Weird That I Prefer "Working" w/ Members of Opposite Sex More?
.
.
.
It's just that I usually (90% of the time) have more chemistry for some reason when working with people of the opposite sex.
Hmm... It could have something to do with continuing the species.
Ya think? Just maybe? :doh:
 
  • Wow
Likes   Reactions: BillTre
Physics news on Phys.org
Borg said:
I took my first Covid test today and should get the results in 3 days. Based on the symptoms that I've had this week, I think that it was a regular cold. But it's best to check. :olduhh:
Test results came back already. Negative for Covid so it's just a cold.
:partytime:
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: WWGD
Borg said:
Test results came back already. Negative for Covid so it's just a cold.
:partytime:
Good deal. But some take more than one test and some come positive and others come out negative. What do you then do? I guess Bayes time with false positives and negatives? Maybe @Dale can suggest how Bayes would play out in any such situation?
 
" Tragedy" of eating chicken and pork sausages I mistakenly bought , thinking they were beef, is over. Almost ran out of a whole soy sauce bottle.
 
WWGD said:
Good deal. But some take more than one test and some come positive and others come out negative. What do you then do? I guess Bayes time with false positives and negatives? Maybe @Dale can suggest how Bayes would play out in any such situation?
3 days waiting for the result ##{\Longrightarrow }_{a.c.}## PCR test ##\Longrightarrow_{a.c.} ## not false negative

Borg said:
Test results came back already. Negative for Covid so it's just a cold.
I am not quite sure whether it is supposed to congratulate you on having a cold.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Borg
fresh_42 said:
3 days waiting for the result ##{\Longrightarrow }_{a.c.}## PCR test ##\Longrightarrow_{a.c.} ## not false negative
You mean those tests have a low rate of false negatives? How about the false positives?
 
Also low, although I haven't found exact figures. From Wikipedia:

In a round robin test by the German Instand e. V. (Society for the Promotion of Quality Assurance in Medical Laboratories), the quality of 463 laboratories from 36 countries was examined in May and June 2020, among other things, to determine whether they could reliably rule out false positive results in the tests. The laboratories for the SARS-CoV-2 negative samples mostly achieved correct negative results (97.8% to 98.6%). Laboratories that could not exclusively deliver 100% correct results were not certified.

cp. https://www.eurosurveillance.org/content/10.2807/1560-7917.ES.2020.25.3.2000045
 
Last edited:
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: WWGD
I'm aware of false negatives and positives but don't have the numbers. If I call them to get it, I would probably end up talking to someone who doesn't even know what false positives and negatives mean. I did send a message to my doctor asking if she knows how to get the numbers but I doubt that she'll be able to help.

In any case, the fact that it came back negative means I would just need to know the false negative rate in order to know how likely it is that I have an actual negative diagnosis.

I was also tested for two strains of flu and those were both negative as well.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: WWGD
WWGD said:
Good deal. But some take more than one test and some come positive and others come out negative. What do you then do? I guess Bayes time with false positives and negatives? Maybe @Dale can suggest how Bayes would play out in any such situation?
Roughly speaking, if a test has approximately equal sensitivity and specificity, then getting a negative test cancels out getting a positive test as far as Bayesian evidence goes. You are left with your prior, which is usually the incidence in the population.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: WWGD
Have no fear, The Tiger will be here. Goodbye Ox/Bull.
 
Seems like wearing sweats is back in fashion. I also see many having iced drink. It doesn't make sense to me, but, hey, do your own thing. But I can't stand when someone doing both things starts complaining...about how cold it is ?
 
I drank three full cups of coffee before a rowing test and now it's 19:37 in the evening and I'm hearing colours and seeing sounds. :olduhh:
 
  • Wow
Likes   Reactions: Hamiltonian and BillTre
ergospherical said:
I drank three full cups of coffee before a rowing test
How did the test go? Single skull?
 
berkeman said:
How did the test go? Single skull?
just a timed sprint on the ergo for crew selection purposes. Think it went alright, although much more painful and less fun than on an actual river :)
 
Bathtub rowing is no fun.
ergospherical said:
just a timed sprint on the ergo for crew selection purposes. Think it went alright, although much more painful and less fun than on an actual river :)
 
Wow, a positive Covid test two weeks ago. Now 2 negatives ( took two to make sure). EDIT: Wonder about the probability of catching Omicron, or some other variant, twice. I only remember one of them was an A&B.
 
Last edited:
First I spend around 25 minutes for the bathroom and then I find out this weird guy I thought was in line, is hanging out near the bathroom for no apparent reason. Then, as I'm leaving the bathroom, I almost get tackled by this guy desperate to get in.
 
Wonder who's in the majority: People who have trouble winding themselves up ( caffeine), or who have trouble winding down( alcohol, etc.). I'm certainly on the second group.
 
dextercioby said:
Isn't the fact that the definition of the word "word" uses words the perfect example of circularity? :biggrin:
Infinite regress says hi.
 
There sure is something nice about old books, isn't there. :oldeyes:
Sometimes I like to go to the library really late at night, pick out a really old, worn textbook with beige-tinted pages and that distinct lignin smell, and pretend I'm a student at Hogwarts school of Witchcraft and Wizardry...
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: collinsmark and fresh_42
ergospherical said:
There sure is something nice about old books, isn't there. :oldeyes:
Sometimes I like to go to the library really late at night, pick out a really old, worn textbook with beige-tinted pages and that distinct lignin smell, and pretend I'm a student at Hogwarts school of Witchcraft and Wizardry...
I have one with Galois' paper IIRC. And one with a review of an article by Kronecker. Oh dear, you don't want to be reviewed by Kronecker! Our meanest and toughest SA are nice and handsome in comparison!
 
  • Wow
  • Haha
Likes   Reactions: ergospherical and collinsmark
My parents were both librarians. The house I grew up in had around 2,500 books at last count, so old books smell like home to me.
 
  • Wow
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: BillTre, ergospherical, collinsmark and 1 other person
fresh_42 said:
I have one with Galois' paper IIRC. And one with a review of an article by Kronecker. Oh dear, you don't want to be reviewed by Kronecker! Our meanest and toughest SA are nice and handsome in comparison!
Didn't Kronecker push Cantor towards a breakdown? We may have been doing finitist Math if
Kronecker had pushed further, maybe with help of Brouwer and others.
 
ergospherical said:
There sure is something nice about old books, isn't there. :oldeyes:
Sometimes I like to go to the library really late at night, pick out a really old, worn textbook with beige-tinted pages and that distinct lignin smell, and pretend I'm a student at Hogwarts school of Witchcraft and Wizardry...
How late is the library open?
 
ergospherical said:
The sun (or more accurately the LED lighting) never sets in the library!
Ah, 24/7/365. Good deal. And I guess not too far from the dorms. Don't want to be biking nor driving with 10 min sleep, I guess.
 
berkeman said:
Ah, memories of undergrad... :smile:
Nostalgia's not what it used to be...