What is the newest installment of 'Random Thoughts' on Physics Forums?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Evo
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Random Thoughts
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
11,071 replies · 760K views
Hamiltonian said:
Dumping someone a day before valentine's day should be illegal.
Should I draw the obvious inference? Sorry to hear that if so.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Ibix said:
Should I draw the obvious inference? Sorry to hear that if so.
Not me, but a pal of mine.
 
Hamiltonian said:
Dumping someone a day before valentine's day should be illegal.
They should eat the chocolates first?
 
I think Valentine's Day is one of those things where, because Hallmark says that you are supposed to be celebrating your relationship, it can really throw into relief that you don't want to do that. It's a bit harsh to leave it to the day before to do the dumping, though.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: WWGD and Hamiltonian
fresh_42 said:
Valentine's day should be illegal.
I propose we settle on making eating uncured sausages on Valentine's day illegal.
 
ergospherical said:
There's a joke in there somewhere.
Maybe we could check with MadMag's "Punchlines in Search of a Joke". Aka: I guess you're right.
 
ergospherical said:
I’m pretty sure nowadays Valentine’s Day is just another excuse to go on the lash.
"Lash"= Drinking all day, I assume?
 
WWGD said:
"Lash"= Drinking all day, I assume?
I'd say drinking with primary intent to get drunk, rather than as an incidental part of socialising.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: ergospherical and WWGD
Ibix said:
I'd say drinking with primary intent to get drunk, rather than as an incidental part of socialising.
Ah, so there are reasons to drink other than getting drunk out of your mind. You hear something new everyday ;)
 
  • Haha
Likes   Reactions: hutchphd
ergospherical said:
There's a joke in there somewhere.
I'll figure it out by going on a lash.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Oldman too
I say "go on the lash" but I really mean asking three or four people if they're not too busy with the problems on the example sheet to go down to the pub for the evening. It is a weekday, after all! :oldeyes:
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: WWGD
ergospherical said:
I say "go on the lash" but I really mean asking three or four people if they're not too busy with the problems on the example sheet to go down to the pub for the evening.
That's correctly called "going out for a swift half".😇
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: ergospherical
ergospherical said:
Changing tack slightly - is it safe to eat Ben's original rice cold (it's pre-cooked)? Microwave broken. ☹️
No 7-11's or friends with microwaves nearby? Or, if you have a stove, through the pack in boiling water for a few min?
 
I've made ; the microwavable type, by throwing it into a skillet with a bit of oil, sometimes throwing in a couple of eggs, some vegetables. Not half bad, but depends on your taste.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: ergospherical
Pretty amazing how people came up with quantum mechanics before hallucinogens were widespread.
 
  • Haha
Likes   Reactions: BillTre
How do you deal with gloves in Winter. You lose around 20 each one, by leaving them around. I thought of using safety pins to tie them to clothes. Maybe buy a few pairs and attach each to a piece of clothes? Otherwise, they're only attached to some of the clothes, and can't use them with others. That's why I won't buy the expensive ones. Won't likely last very long.
 
I hear of this guy who bought noise-cancelling head phones. Enjoyed them every day for a few years. And then he found out he had lost most of his hearing. Now I use a pair where one of the pieces does not work, and I move the buds to make sure to give each ear canal some rest.
 
Hamiltonian said:
Dumping someone a day before valentine's day should be illegal.
Research has shown that romantic relationships are more likely to end on or around February 14 compared to almost any other time of the year.
Paywalled, so I couldn't see if they controlled for it being in the depths of February.
 
Keith_McClary said:
Paywalled, so I couldn't see if they controlled for it being in the depths of February.
Reminds me of someone I read has ' January' as a first name. Hadn't seen any other than April through June.
 
WWGD said:
Reminds me of someone I read has ' January' as a first name. Hadn't seen any other than April through June.
July is a variant of Julius, Julia. All hail Caesar!
August is used. All hail a different Caesar!
February (less than 10 per million births) https://www.babycenter.com/baby-names-february-1321924.htm
March https://www.babynology.com/british-mcelebritymarch.html
Check out https://www.imdb.com/list/ls066009513/ for Sept-Nov
December (estimated 460 in US) https://www.mynamestats.com/First-Names/D/DE/DECEMBER/index.html
 
Last edited:
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: WWGD and fresh_42
WWGD said:
Reminds me of someone I read has ' January' as a first name. Hadn't seen any other than April through June.
This reminds me of a quote from a Tarantino movie, but the rules are too strict to post it here.
 
Wednesday Addams is Getting Her Own Live Action Netflix Series Directed by  Tim Burton! - Bloody Disgusting
 
hutchphd said:
Yes but April is the cruelest month...trust me.
In what way?