What is the optimum angle to hit a golf ball the furthest?

In summary, the question is about the best launch angle for a golf ball and there is no single answer due to the complexity of factors involved, including the golfer's abilities and environmental conditions. The simple projectile motion equation predicts an optimum angle of 45 degrees, but in reality, drivers tend to launch at around 20 degrees. Ultimately, the calculation for the best launch angle is specific to the individual golfer and involves complicated aerodynamic calculations.
ccDave
Could anyone please tell me how to get this answer through calculations and other means?

Physics news on Phys.org
Thanks in advance for taking your time :)

With or without dimples?

Likes gracy
Welcome to PF.

There is no single answer to this question. It is very complicated. Are you a golfer and how vast do you want this thread to become? Is there a specific reason for/purpose behind your question?

Bystander said:
With or without dimples?
With dimples

russ_watters said:
Welcome to PF.

There is no single answer to this question. It is very complicated. Are you a golfer and how vast do you want this thread to become? Is there a specific reason for/purpose behind your question?
I do occasionally golf, however i do not consider myself to be a golfer. The reason i ask this question is because I would like to know the types of calculations and ways involved to answer the question - furthermore since i am not a physics student, I am interested in the answers people in this forum have (by "people" i mean individuals with vast knowledge pertaining to the subject of physics (but not limited to physics))

If you ignore drag/lift, roll after hitting the ground and the Earth's rotation and curvature, the simple projectile motion equation predicts an optimum launch angle of 45 degrees. In the real world, drivers tend to launch at about 20 degrees.

The largest of the factors to add is lift/drag, and the analysis to calculate the optimum launch angle is specific to the golfer and the conditions. And needless to say involves complicated aerodynamic calculations.

This is the/a proof for 45 degrees..

In the case of a golf ball there are other factors to take into account such as lift and drag and these mean a lower angle works out better.

1. What is the optimum angle to hit a golf ball the furthest?

The optimum angle to hit a golf ball the furthest is around 11 to 12 degrees. This angle allows for the perfect balance between loft and distance, resulting in the maximum distance for a golf shot.

2. Does the angle of the golf club affect the distance of the shot?

Yes, the angle of the golf club does affect the distance of the shot. The angle of the club face at impact determines the trajectory of the ball, and a slightly open or closed club face can result in a shorter or longer shot.

3. How does the angle of the golf swing affect the distance of the shot?

The angle of the golf swing also plays a role in the distance of the shot. A steeper angle of attack, where the club strikes the ball on a more downward path, can result in a higher launch and more distance. However, too steep of an angle can also lead to a decrease in distance.

4. What other factors besides angle can impact the distance of a golf shot?

Other factors that can impact the distance of a golf shot include club head speed, ball spin, and wind conditions. A higher club head speed can result in a longer shot, while excessive spin can cause the ball to drop shorter. Wind conditions, such as a tailwind, can also add distance to a shot.

5. Is there a universal optimum angle for hitting a golf ball the furthest?

No, there is not a universal optimum angle for hitting a golf ball the furthest. The angle that results in the longest shot varies for each individual, as it depends on factors such as swing speed, body mechanics, and personal preference. It is important for golfers to experiment and find their own optimum angle for maximum distance.