1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What is the optimum angle to hit a golf ball the furthest?

1. Feb 20, 2016 #1
    Could anyone please tell me how to get this answer through calculations and other means?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 20, 2016 #2
    Thanks in advance for taking your time :)

4. Feb 20, 2016 #3

Bystander

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

With or without dimples?

5. Feb 20, 2016 #4

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

Welcome to PF.

There is no single answer to this question. It is very complicated. Are you a golfer and how vast do you want this thread to become? Is there a specific reason for/purpose behind your question?

6. Feb 20, 2016 #5
    With dimples

7. Feb 20, 2016 #6
    I do occasionally golf, however i do not consider myself to be a golfer. The reason i ask this question is because I would like to know the types of calculations and ways involved to answer the question - furthermore since i am not a physics student, I am interested in the answers people in this forum have (by "people" i mean individuals with vast knowledge pertaining to the subject of physics (but not limited to physics))

8. Feb 20, 2016 #7

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

If you ignore drag/lift, roll after hitting the ground and the earth's rotation and curvature, the simple projectile motion equation predicts an optimum launch angle of 45 degrees. In the real world, drivers tend to launch at about 20 degrees.

The largest of the factors to add is lift/drag, and the analysis to calculate the optimum launch angle is specific to the golfer and the conditions. And needless to say involves complicated aerodynamic calculations.

9. Feb 20, 2016 #8

CWatters

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

This is the/a proof for 45 degrees..

In the case of a golf ball there are other factors to take into account such as lift and drag and these mean a lower angle works out better.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook