What is the physical limit of compression of matter?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 3K views
Matt Todd
Messages
28
Reaction score
0
If a sugar cube size piece of neutron star weighs as much as every vehicle in U.S.A, and H2 in the core of Jupiter has been compressed to a metalic version of itself, what then is the limit of compression? Can matter be compressed further than that of a neutron star?
 
Astronomy news on Phys.org
Actually, thinking about this, I'm guessing it depends on the nature of the matter being compressed.
 
Hm.. wouldn't forces of repulsion come into picture due to quantum effects at such energy level.For instance you compress a bulk of say atoms, the more reshuffling of electrons takes place.
By reshuffling I mean electrons going back to their own orbitals.

Just a thought.
 
ibysaiyan said:
Hm.. wouldn't forces of repulsion come into picture due to quantum effects at such energy level.For instance you compress a bulk of say atoms, the more reshuffling of electrons takes place.
By reshuffling I mean electrons going back to their own orbitals.

Just a thought.

This is very interesting, wish I knew more about quantum mechanics.