What is the possible risk of switch in its mid-way?

  • Thread starter Thread starter kenny1999
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Switch
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Ask a follow-up in this thread, or start your own.
5 replies · 2K views
kenny1999
Messages
235
Reaction score
5
Sometimes, not always though, it was my problem, not the switch is defected, I didn't press it firmly, the switch will leave in its mid-way, but it is supposed to be
either ON or OFF. What is the possible problem of doing this? Will it burn the switch or cause even more severe problem?
 
Engineering news on Phys.org
kenny1999 said:
Sometimes, not always though, it was my problem, not the switch is defected, I didn't press it firmly, the switch will leave in its mid-way, but it is supposed to be
either ON or OFF. What is the possible problem of doing this? Will it burn the switch or cause even more severe problem?
Most switches are designed to prevent intermediate (not on, not off) positions, precisely because of the sparking and burning problem. Often, there is some spring action to hold it open or closed. So I would not worry about it.
 
berkeman said:
What kind of switch? I'm guessing you are talking about AC Mains, but what is the load?
AC Mains? Did you mean there are plug holes directly near it? No...

It is a panel with only the button and everything is inside, controlling the lamp on the ceiling

switch is kind of old switch, not really too old but general and normal and nothing fancy.
 
kenny1999 said:
Will it burn the switch or cause even more severe problem?
These switches are built so that a halfway-stuck actuator will not supposed to affect the contacts themselves (it should remain in the previous state till that 'clearly audible click').

But: since it's about mains, I would not be satisfied with a 'not supposed'. Since it's a faulty switch anyway, please schedule a replacement.

Supposed or not, I've seen cases when this kind of fault ended with a burning contact.