Should I switch to a math major?

In summary: If not, then maybe you should stick with chemistry.In summary, a freshman in college is considering switching their major from chemistry to math due to their love for math classes and struggles with chemistry. They are unsure of what jobs are available for math majors and are advised to take proof-based math classes before making a decision.
cmb5858
Hi all. First, I'm pretty new here, so I apologize for any faux pauxs I might make.

Anyway, I'm a freshman in college right now, and my current major is chemistry. I don't really know if I want to stay in chemistry though, because I only ever want to work on my math class and german class work. I don't necessarily DISLIKE chemistry, I just find that I don't want to work on it that much, and I'd rather be doing math work. The other day I was supposed to be doing physics homework that was due soon, and instead I spent an hour listening to a senior here talk about e^(ix) = cosx + isinx in the library. But I don't really know if I should switch, because I'm only in Calculus II right now, (and I had late-dropped it the previous semester, not because I didn't understand but because I had to struggle through Gen. Chem. with a terrible professor who didn't understand it himself, and tried to teach us QM, which was a disaster on his part, and didn't have enough time to dedicate to that class).

I think I actually like doing math more than anything else for any of my classes, largely due to the fact that before my senior year in high school, I despised math, didn't understand it, and vowed to pick a major that didn't require it. And then my senior year I decided I'd take AP Calculus and get it over with, and I woke up one day and EVERYTHING CLICKED. I love figuring out a tough problem and knowing exactly why it's the way it is, and all the little details, etc.

My real question is, how do I know if I should switch, and if I do, what EXACTLY (aside from actuarial work) does one DO with a math major?

Thanks a bunch, and sorry for the long post, and possible wrong category!

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, firstly, I am a freshman math major, and I'll tell you that if you're in Calc II right now, you're not that far behind. You could easily switch your major to math, and since you say that you enjoy the math work more than your current chemistry work, that is what I would do in your position.

As to whether there are actual jobs for math majors, well... I'm hoping to find that out myself!

Take some "true" math electives before you decide on a major. True math classes (discrete structures, linear algebra, analysis, uniform & non-uniform geometries, etc.) are a lot different than what you're used to. Linear algebra should serve as a good introduction to proof based math.

I agree with cdotter. Take 1 or 2 proof-based classes. Maybe take some proof theory (if they have it) and linear/abstract algebra. If it clicks and you absolutely love it, then math is your thing!

I understand the importance of choosing a major that you are passionate about and enjoy studying. It sounds like you have a strong interest in math and have found success in it, despite not initially liking it in high school. It is also common for students to change their majors during their college years, so it is not uncommon for you to be considering a switch from chemistry to math.

In terms of how to know if you should switch, I would suggest talking to your academic advisor and potentially taking some introductory math courses to see if it is truly the right fit for you. You can also speak with professors in the math department and get a better understanding of the curriculum and potential career paths with a math major.

In terms of what you can do with a math major, there are many options outside of actuarial work. Math majors are highly sought after in fields such as data analysis, finance, computer science, and research. Many math majors also go on to pursue graduate degrees in various fields, such as applied math, statistics, or engineering.

Ultimately, it is important to choose a major that aligns with your interests and strengths. If you find that math is what you truly enjoy and excel in, then it may be worth considering a switch. Just be sure to do your research and seek advice from your academic advisor and professors before making a decision. Best of luck to you!

1. What are the job prospects for math majors?

Math majors have a wide range of job opportunities, including careers in finance, data science, computer science, education, and research. Many industries value the analytical and problem-solving skills that math majors possess, making them highly sought after in the job market.

2. Is a math major more difficult than other majors?

This depends on the individual and their strengths. Math requires a strong foundation in algebra and calculus, but many students find that with dedicated study and practice, they can excel in a math major. It is important to have a passion for math and a willingness to work hard to succeed.

3. Can I switch to a math major if I haven't taken many math classes before?

Yes, it is possible to switch to a math major even if you haven't taken many math classes before. However, it may require some extra effort to catch up on the necessary prerequisites. It's important to speak with an academic advisor to create a plan for success.

4. What skills do I need to be successful as a math major?

To be successful as a math major, it is important to have a strong foundation in algebra and calculus. You should also have strong critical thinking and problem-solving skills, as well as an ability to think abstractly and logically. Good study habits and time management skills are also essential for success in any major.

5. Will a math major limit my career options?

No, a math major does not limit your career options. In fact, it can open up a wide range of opportunities in fields such as finance, data science, computer science, education, and research. Many employers value the skills and knowledge gained through a math major, making it a versatile and valuable degree.