What is the post orientation of a EU1L battery

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
8 replies · 8K views
Tipiford
Messages
5
Reaction score
0
Anyone know what the specification of EU1L is in a garden tractor battery? I am assuming "U" is utility, and "L" is the positive terminal post faces left viewing the battery's face or front. If so, what is the "E" and "1"?
 
Engineering news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF.
E will probably identify the classification system. Maybe European?
U1 is a physical size LxWxH = 195 x 125 x 155 mm.
U1RMF is size U1, Right hand positive, maintenance free.
U1MF is size U1, Left hand positive, maintenance free. (L is sometimes assumed if not R).
 
There are only two sizes, U1 and U2. They are only specified for use on garden tractors. General - Utility Batteries, 12-VOLT (6 CELLS)
U1, U1R and U2 are BCI / Group numbers. Battery Council International give sizes as U1 = 197 x 132 x 186 mm, and U2 = 160 x 132 x 181 mm.
 
Thanx much, that elucidates most of the puzzle, however, E may be a classification, but the batteries I'm looking at were manufactured in PA. These are two Duracells I am considering, one, a U1L at one price, and a EU1L at a cost of $5.00 more, so I'm curious as to what I might be paying for if I splurged for a whole $5.00 more (tee-hee).
 
Just an update, having gone to compare the batteries: still unclear on the "E," but the cranking amps on the EU1L is 365. whereas the U1L is 275.
 
Ask manufacturers for datasheets and you'll be smarter.
 
But this ^-^ relates safety and maintenance, not data sheet about technical performance