What is the probability of getting two red balls from box II?

In summary, the probability of getting a red ball from box I and then 2 red balls are selected from box II is 2/27.
Monoxdifly
MHB
There are two boxes. Box I contains 5 red balls and 4 white balls. Box II contains 3 red balls and 6 white balls. A ball is taken randomly from box I and put into box II. Then, from box II, two balls are taken randomly. What is the probability of both balls taken from box II are red?

I only know that the probability of getting red ball from box I is \(\displaystyle \frac{1}{9}\). How to do the rest?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
I'm thinking we need to find the probability that a red ball is selected from box I AND then 2 red ball are selected from box II OR a white ball is selected from box I AND then 2 red balls are selected from box II. Let's look at the first event. The probability that a red ball is selected from box I is equal to ratio of the number of red balls to the toal number of balls:

\(\displaystyle P(\text{red ball from box I})=\frac{5}{9}\)

Okay, now in box II we have 4 red ball and 6 white balls. So, the probability of drawing 2 red balls is:

\(\displaystyle P(\text{2 red balls from box II})=\frac{4}{10}\cdot\frac{3}{9}=\frac{2}{15}\)

And so the probability of both sub-events happening is:

\(\displaystyle P(\text{red ball from box I AND 2 red balls from box II})=\frac{5}{9}\cdot\frac{2}{15}=\frac{2}{27}\)

Can you compute the probability that a white ball is selected from box I AND then 2 red balls are selected from box II?

\(\displaystyle \frac{4}{9}\cdot\frac{3}{10}\cdot\frac{2}{9}\)

Okay, after we reduce we have:

\(\displaystyle P(\text{white ball from box I AND 2 red balls from box II})=\frac{4}{135}\)

And recall we found:

\(\displaystyle P(\text{red ball from box I AND 2 red balls from box II})=\frac{2}{27}\)

So, what do you suppose we should do with these two probabilities?

Add?

Monoxdifly said:
Add?

Yes, with "OR" we add...so what do you get?

In case you've taken a white from the 1st box - 5/9 x (3/10 x 2/9)
In case you've taken a red from the 1st box - 5/9 x (4/10 x 3/9)

Last edited:
MarkFL said:
Yes, with "OR" we add...so what do you get?

\(\displaystyle \frac{14}{135}\)

Monoxdifly said:
\(\displaystyle \frac{14}{135}\)

Yes, that's what I got as well. :D

1. What is the definition of probability?

Probability is a measure of the likelihood of an event occurring. It is typically expressed as a number between 0 and 1, where 0 represents impossibility and 1 represents certainty.

2. What are the different types of probabilities?

There are three main types of probabilities: theoretical, empirical, and subjective. Theoretical probability is based on mathematical principles and assumptions. Empirical probability is based on observations and data. Subjective probability is based on an individual's personal beliefs and experiences.

3. How do you calculate probability?

Probability can be calculated by dividing the number of favorable outcomes by the total number of possible outcomes. For example, if you flip a coin, the probability of getting heads is 1 out of 2, or 0.5.

4. What is the difference between independent and dependent events?

Independent events are events that do not affect or influence each other. The outcome of one event does not change the probability of the other event occurring. Dependent events, on the other hand, are events that are affected by or dependent on each other. The outcome of one event can change the probability of the other event occurring.

5. How can probabilities be used in real life?

Probabilities can be used in various real-life situations, such as predicting the weather, making financial decisions, and conducting scientific experiments. They can also be used in risk assessment and decision making, as well as in sports and games to determine the likelihood of a certain outcome.