What is the Proof for Kinetic Energy in a Circular Magnetic Field?

In summary, when a particle of mass M and charge Q moves in a circular path in a magnetic field B, its kinetic energy is proportional to the square of the radius of curvature of the path.
joej
this should probably go in the HS section since it is review of some material covered there but... I'm guessing the same peole brose the two forums so I might as well post it here since it came up in college.

now the questions seems quite straight forward:

for a particle of mass m and charge q, moving in a circular path in a magnetic field B, show that its kinetic energe is proportional to the square of the radius of curvature of its path.

so we have:

r = (mv^2)/qvB
r = mv^2/F

F = ma
F = m((v^2)/r)

r = (mv^2)/(m((v^2)/r))

now... it all evens out and I'm stuck with nothing... could someon tell me where I'm going wrong with this

Physics news on Phys.org
When you get a result like 1 = 1 or r = r, it means you're substituting an equation into itself, which should naturally take you nowhere.

--J

1.Do you know the expression of KE in terms of velocity??

2.Can u compute/find a relation between the radius of trajectory and the velocity the particle has...?

Daniel.

KE = 1/2 mv^2

yeah I know that

still don't see how I can go from r = (mv^2)/F to r^2 = 1/2 mv^2

joej said:
KE = 1/2 mv^2

yeah I know that

still don't see how I can go from r = (mv^2)/F to r^2 = 1/2 mv^2

Can u prove that:
[tex] r_{traj.}=\frac{mv}{qB} [/tex]

Daniel.

joej said:
this should probably go in the HS section since it is review of some material covered there but... I'm guessing the same peole brose the two forums so I might as well post it here since it came up in college.

now the questions seems quite straight forward:

for a particle of mass m and charge q, moving in a circular path in a magnetic field B, show that its kinetic energe is proportional to the square of the radius of curvature of its path.

so we have:

r = (mv^2)/qvB

This is all you need. As well as KE=1/2 mv^2

Use the two equations you've got:
r=(mv^2)/qvB and
KE=1/2mv^2

to get a relationship between KE and r.

learningphysics said:
This is all you need. As well as KE=1/2 mv^2

Use the two equations you've got:
r=(mv^2)/qvB and
KE=1/2mv^2

to get a relationship between KE and r.

Forgive my thickness but I can't figure out how to go from those two to proving that (r^2) is proportional to (1/2 mv^2)

dextercioby said:
Can u prove that:
[tex] r_{traj.}=\frac{mv}{qB} [/tex]

Daniel.

well yeah that's just the v at the bottom is canceled out by v^2 and the square is thus also gone, but where do I go from there

If u can prove that,it means u can prove it is valid even when it's squared:
[tex] r_{traj.}^{2}=\frac{m^{2}v^{2}}{q^{2}B^{2}}=\frac{2m}{q^{2}B^{2}}\frac{mv^{2}}{2}=C\cdot (KE) [/tex]

Voilà.

Daniel.

joej said:
Forgive my thickness but I can't figure out how to go from those two to proving that (r^2) is proportional to (1/2 mv^2)

Taking your first equation
r=(mv^2)/qvB

if I solve for v I get
v=rqB/m

Then I plug it into the KE equation
KE=(1/2)mv^2

[tex]KE=\frac{1}{2}m(\frac{rqB}{m})^2[/tex]

[tex]KE=\frac{q^2B^2}{2m}r^2[/tex]

since [tex]\frac{q^2B^2}{2m}[/tex] is a constant, this proves KE is proportional to r^2.

You needed an expression for KE in terms of r, and constants (v is not a constant here as it changes with r), so you needed to get rid of that v... so solve for v in the first equation and plug it into the second... so all that is left is constants and r's.

Last edited:
ah okay I finally get it thnx to both of you, great help, really appreciate it ;)

Related to What is the Proof for Kinetic Energy in a Circular Magnetic Field?

What is kinetic energy?

Kinetic energy is the energy an object possesses due to its motion.

How is kinetic energy calculated?

Kinetic energy is calculated using the formula KE = 1/2 * m * v^2, where m is the mass of the object and v is its velocity.

What is the difference between kinetic energy and potential energy?

Kinetic energy is the energy an object has due to its motion, while potential energy is the energy an object has due to its position or state. Kinetic energy can be converted into potential energy and vice versa.

What are some real-life examples of kinetic energy?

Some examples of kinetic energy include a moving car, a flying airplane, a swinging pendulum, and a rolling ball.

How is kinetic energy important in everyday life?

Kinetic energy plays a crucial role in many aspects of our lives, from the movement of vehicles and machines to the functioning of our bodies. It is also a key concept in understanding and predicting the behavior of objects in motion.