What Is the Reaction Force to Gravity on a Book Resting on a Shelf?

In summary, the reaction force to the force of gravity acting on the book is the weight of the book. This is based on Newton's third law, which states that for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction. In this case, the book exerts a downward force due to gravity on the shelf, and the shelf exerts an equal and opposite force upward on the book. The weight of the book is the measure of the force of gravity acting on it, and therefore is the reaction force in this scenario.
steve0827

Homework Statement

a book restson the shelf of a bookcase. the reaction force to the force of gravity acting on the book is?
A.)the weight of the book
B.)none of these
C.)the force of the shelf holding the book up
D.)the frictional force between the book and shelf
E.)the force exerted by the book on the earth

Homework Equations

N/A

The Attempt at a Solution

I thought the answer was C...but i was wrong.

i really need help on this

Physics news on Phys.org
First question : how would you calculate the reaction force ? Imagine the book has a certain mass equal to 1 kg or whatever.

Draw a free body diagram and apply Newton's second law.

marlon

i think its either A or B
could you give me a hint if those are right :P

steve0827 said:
i think its either A or B
could you give me a hint if those are right :P

No hints, that doesn't help you.

Why do you think it's A or B ?

marlon

steve0827 said:
the reaction force to the force of gravity acting on the book is?
Note that "reaction force" here is used in the Newton's 3rd law sense of "action/reaction".

Hint: What two bodies are involved in this interaction?

What does Newton's 3rd law say when two bodies interact?

Related to What Is the Reaction Force to Gravity on a Book Resting on a Shelf?

What is Newton's 3rd law of motion?

Newton's 3rd law of motion states that for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction. This means that whenever an object exerts a force on another object, the second object will exert an equal and opposite force back on the first object.

What is the role of incline in Newton's 3rd law?

Inclines, or tilted surfaces, play a crucial role in demonstrating Newton's 3rd law. When objects are on an incline, their weight is distributed along the slope, creating a normal force perpendicular to the surface. This normal force is equal and opposite to the force of gravity pulling the object down, thus demonstrating Newton's 3rd law.

How does Newton's 3rd law apply to objects on an incline?

When an object is on an incline, it will experience a force of gravity pulling it downwards and a normal force pushing it upwards. According to Newton's 3rd law, the object will also exert an equal and opposite force on the surface of the incline. This results in the object either sliding down the incline or remaining stationary, depending on the balance of forces.

Can Newton's 3rd law be observed in everyday life?

Yes, Newton's 3rd law can be observed in many everyday situations. For example, when a person walks on the ground, they push down on the ground with their feet, and the ground exerts an equal and opposite force back on their feet, allowing them to move forward. Similarly, when a car accelerates, the wheels push backwards on the ground, and the ground pushes forwards on the wheels, propelling the car forward.

How does understanding Newton's 3rd law benefit us?

Understanding Newton's 3rd law allows us to predict and explain the motion of objects in various situations. It also helps us to design and improve technologies, such as vehicles and structures, by considering the balance of forces acting on them. Additionally, understanding this law enables us to better understand the natural world and the interactions between objects.