What is the relation of mass and power?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 5K views
Generally Confused
Messages
9
Reaction score
0
How should power be calculated in a situation where distance and time are both given, as well as mass. At first, I was thinking of just using W=Fx (force as mass x 9.8) to solve for work, and then I would take the solution for work and put it into P=wt.

Does this make sense? That's my best guess, but I'd really appreciate if you could tell me whether or not I am handling mass correctly.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Generally Confused said:
How should power be calculated in a situation where distance and time are both given, as well as mass. At first, I was thinking of just using W=Fx (force as mass x 9.8) to solve for work, and then I would take the solution for work and put it into P=wt.

Does this make sense? That's my best guess, but I'd really appreciate if you could tell me whether or not I am handling mass correctly.

You haven't given enough information to be able to tell. For example if an object of mass 2 kg is located 3 m away for a time of 4 s, then I've been given mass, distance, and time. But I need more details to be able to determine the work done and the power developed.
 
Mister T said:
You haven't given enough information to be able to tell. For example if an object of mass 2 kg is located 3 m away for a time of 4 s, then I've been given mass, distance, and time. But I need more details to be able to determine the work done and the power developed.

Alright. So take a woman weighing about 50kg running uphill. If the hill is 5m, how much power would be required for her to reach the top in 3 seconds? (Sorry, this is sort of a bad example, but I figured it kind of demonstrates the format.) Does the process I explained work for this?
 
Generally Confused said:
Alright. So take a woman weighing about 50kg running uphill. If the hill is 5m, how much power would be required for her to reach the top in 3 seconds?

still not enough info

what is the angular incline of the hill ?
is the 5m you state the height of the hill or the length of the incline slope ?
 
Generally Confused said:
Alright. So take a woman weighing about 50kg running uphill. If the hill is 5m, how much power would be required for her to reach the top in 3 seconds? (Sorry, this is sort of a bad example, but I figured it kind of demonstrates the format.) Does the process I explained work for this?

Assuming an altitude of 5 m, yes; ignoring friction and assuming she's 100% efficient.