What is the relationship between AC electricity and transverse waves in copper?

In summary: The magnetic field itself is the H field.In summary, electricity (AC) can be seen as a wave travelling through a material, and this wave behavior can be described by a general wave equation. The use of H instead of B is due to H being the magnetic field and B being magnetic induction. The B field is a sum of the magnetic field due to the magnetization of the material and the H field. The H field is the concept of magnetic field, while B is the magnetic induction that depends on the material being magnetized.
HWGXX7
I was wondering if I may interprete AC current as a tranverse wave trough copper as medium. So this wave behaviour has a general wave-form written as: [tex]\zeta(x,t)=\zeta_{0}sin(kx-\omega.t)[/tex]
This is a solution to the partial differential equation:
[tex]\frac{\partial^{2}\zeta}{\partial t^{2}}=K.\frac{\partial^{2}\zeta}{\partial x^{2}}[/tex]

K is the medium-depent factor, which will determine the wave velocity.
Because the electric!ty will only be a one direction flow (assume we talk about a period in 50Hz current), the derivative to x direction wille be meaningless..I think.

But electricity is the flow of electrons, so the medium itself will be responsible for the wave. This bothers my whole perception of the above approach...

Anyway who shares same ideas?

grtz

Engineering news on Phys.org
The complete wave equation for any electromagnetic wave component φ is
[tex] \frac{\partial^2\psi}{\partial t^2 }=\frac{1}{\varepsilon \mu} \frac{\partial^2 \psi}{\partial x^2}- \frac{\sigma}{\varepsilon}\frac{\partial \psi}{\partial t } [/tex]
where ε and μ are the permittivity and permeability, and σ is the conductivity of the medium. In free space, the speed of light is c = 1/√ (εμ).

The general solution of the above wave equation is of the form
[tex] \psi \left( x,t \right)=\psi_o e^{-ax}e^{i \left( \omega t - bx \right)}[/tex]
where the e-ax factor represents attenuation and ei(ωt-bx) represents propagation.

If power (electromagnetic wave) is traveling along two parallel wires, the power may be represented by two orthogonal fields (E and H) traveling between the wires (look up Poynting vector), and there are no E fields in the wires, unless the wires have resistance. A longitudinal current I in the wire is orthogonal to the magnetic field H between the wires.

Bob S

Thank for the reply, so in general the approach to see electricty (AC) as a wave through material is correct.

The use of H instead of B is because H is the magnetic field and B is just magnetic induction, correct?

In extend, I also assume the whole world is than build up from only (a)periodic waves.

I find it very interesting that maybay it is possible to determine all behaviour from just wave behaviour, instead of analysing structures.

Could it be possible for example to analyse the disfunction of a structure just by de sound wave it produces?

Sorry if I go beyond my question, just wondering.

grtz

HWGXX7 said:
Thank for the reply, so in general the approach to see electricty (AC) as a wave through material is correct.

The use of H instead of B is because H is the magnetic field and B is just magnetic induction, correct?

[itex]\mathbf{H}\ \equiv \ \frac{\mathbf{B}}{\mu_0}-\mathbf{M}
[/itex] (from Wikipedia)

and thus
[itex]B = \mu_0(H + M)
[/itex]

The B field is thought of as sum of the magnetic field due to the magnetization of the material (M) and the H field.

Last edited:
Well, but B isn't the field itself? The gradient of amps.winding is H. This has the characteristic of a field. B is magnetic induction and equals permeability.H

H is the concept of magnetic field, but de induction B which occurs, depents on which material is being magnetised.

Related to What is the relationship between AC electricity and transverse waves in copper?

1. What is the difference between AC and DC electricity?

AC (alternating current) electricity is a type of electrical current that periodically reverses direction, while DC (direct current) electricity flows in only one direction. AC electricity is commonly used for power distribution, while DC electricity is used for smaller electronics and devices.

2. How is AC electricity generated?

AC electricity is generated using a device called an alternator. This device converts mechanical energy, such as from a turbine or engine, into electrical energy by rotating a coil of wire within a magnetic field.

3. What is the frequency of typical AC electricity?

In most countries, the frequency of AC electricity is 50 or 60 Hz (Hertz), which refers to the number of times the current changes direction per second. This frequency is chosen for efficient power transmission and is also compatible with most electronic devices.

4. How is AC electricity transmitted over long distances?

To transport AC electricity over long distances, it is first converted to a high voltage using a device called a transformer. This reduces energy losses during transmission. The high voltage AC is then sent through power lines and can be converted back to a lower voltage for use in homes and businesses.

5. What are some common applications of AC electricity?

AC electricity is used in a wide range of applications, including powering homes and businesses, operating various electronic devices, and for industrial machinery. It is also used in many forms of transportation, such as trains and electric vehicles.