Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What is the resistance of this resistor?(pic included)

1. Oct 17, 2013 #1
    I have this resistor, I googled the colour code but didnt quite get from wich side you begin to count the lines, maybe someone can help me by telling me the resistance.

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 17, 2013 #2

jedishrfu

Staff: Mentor

4. Oct 17, 2013 #3

AlephZero

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Most resistors have values take from a list of "preferred values". A 4-band marking will be from the E24 series, where the "third digit" of the value is always 0. If reading from one end gives a preferred value but from the other end does not, it's a pretty good bet that the preferred value is the correct one.

After a while you get to recognize the color combinations of the preferred values (e.g. yellow-violet = 47) without having the decode the digits one by one.

http://www.logwell.com/tech/components/resistor_values.html

5. Oct 18, 2013 #4

meBigGuy

Gold Member

The gold at one end of 4 bands says it is a 5% resistor and the 2 value numbers and the multiplier start at the other end.

As stated, sometimes one needs to guess which end based on standard values.

6. Oct 18, 2013 #5

davenn

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

well rotating the resistor 180 deg to get the correct orientation you have

or or bk gld gap then tolerance band cant quite make out the colour may be another gold ( 5%)

the 4th band ( gold) indicates a 0.1 Ohm multiplier as per the 1st link in post #2

D

7. Oct 18, 2013 #6

meBigGuy

Gold Member

I didn't think the small reflections and discoloration on the far left were another band. But they could be. (my guess would still be not a band, but it's just that, a guess)

8. Oct 18, 2013 #7

Baluncore

Science Advisor

When I see an E12 resistor, like an old friend, I instinctively “feel” the resistance value without reading the colour bands.
    “gold,blk,org,org” just feels like 33R 5%. There is no need to turn it around to recognise it.

The problem I have is with fluorescent artificial lighting where red and orange look the same.
    33k = 2k2 often look the same.

9. Oct 19, 2013 #8

davenn

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

was only turning it around for the OP's sake who is obviously not familiar with reading resistors.
    All others, like you and me who are skilled with such .... obviously NO NEED !!

if that isnt a far end tolerance band then yes it would be a 33R 5% :smile:

Dave

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook