What is the right formula to use in this context? (momentum conservation)

El foolish Phenomeno
Homework Statement
A pool ball X of mass 0.3 kg moving with velocity 5 m/ s hit a stationary ball Y of mass 0.4 kg . Y moves off with a velocity of 2 m/ s at 30 ° to the initial direction of X . Find the X and it's direction after hitting it.
Relevant Equations
momentum formulas
First i think the correct solution to the problem is

1000078137.jpg
But my friends argue that it is not what i did , i am confused we didn't see the whole chapter on momentum in class, (Youtube thank you)

here is what my friends say :

(0.3×5) + 0 = (V×0.3)+(0.4×2)
and they get they a final speed of 2.33 m/s , with negative direction.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi,

I think you are correct. Can you guess what kind of collision your friends' equation describes ?

##\ ##

Likes PeroK
@kuruman : ball Y moves off with x component velocity in the positive direction ...

##\ ##

Likes kuruman
BvU said:
@kuruman : ball Y moves off with x component velocity in the positive direction ...

##\ ##
Oops! I misread the problem. I deleted my post to avoid confusion. Thanks for the heads up.

Sin
BvU said:
Hi,

I think you are correct. Can you guess what kind of collision your friends' equation describes ?

##\ ##
since there is no mention of conservation of energy in that equation , i'd say inelastic collision.

Consider that it is momentum conservation in one single direction: a central collision. And elastic (check !)

##\ ##

BvU said:
Consider that it is momentum conservation in one single direction: a central collision. And elastic (check !)

##\ ##
Lol. In an elastic collision , both Energy and Momentum are conserved. I was distracted 😅 .
BvU said:

##\ ##

El foolish Phenomeno said:
Lol. In an elastic collision , both Energy and Momentum are conserved. I was distracted 😅 .
You may be missing the point of @BvU's question.
You asked how come your friends did not need energy conservation. The reason is that they treated it as a head-on collision. On that basis they did not need to consider energy; there was enough information to find X's final velocity (and to calculate the energy change).
As a 2D collision, we have one more unknown, so a second equation is needed.

Likes MatinSAR and PeroK
I'm coming back to post #1, checking the math and such :rolleyes:

here is what my friends say :

(0.3×5) + 0 = (V×0.3)+(0.4×2)
and they get they a final speed of 2.33 m/s , with negative direction.
Doing the math gets me 2.33 m/s in the positive direction....

the correct solution to the problem ...
1700315891309.png
I get -26.36##^\circ## and 3.00 m/s. Nitpicking ?

BvU said:
And elastic (check !)
Check: ##T_{in} = {1\over 2}m_x v_x^2## = 3.75 J and
##T_{out} = {1\over 2}m_x \; 2.33^2 + {1\over 2}m_y u_y^2## = 1.62 J, so not elastic (my bad suggesting that in post #6 o:) ).

and for the correct result ##T_{out} = ## 2.15 J, not elastic either.

If you want to get some practice, determine ##u_y## for the case of an elastic collision with ##\theta = 30^\circ## :smile:
##\ ##

Likes SammyS and MatinSAR
BvU said:
I get -26.36##^\circ##
Yes. The mistake in the given answer was in rounding 0.49555.. to 0.5 in the preceding line.

So it's nitpicking allright. Given data are only one decimal ...

However, my rule is not to round off intermediate results unnecessarily.

##\ ##

BvU said:
So it's nitpicking allright. Given data are only one decimal ...

However, my rule is not to round off intermediate results unnecessarily.

##\ ##
Not nitpicking at all. The answer should have been given as either 26° or 26.4°, not 26.6°.

Likes MatinSAR

1. What is momentum conservation?

Momentum conservation is a fundamental law in physics that states that the total momentum of a closed system remains constant unless acted upon by an external force.

2. How is momentum conserved in a collision?

In a collision, the total momentum of the objects involved before the collision is equal to the total momentum after the collision. This is known as the law of conservation of momentum.

3. What is the formula for calculating momentum conservation?

The formula for calculating momentum conservation is:
Total initial momentum = Total final momentum
This can also be written as:
m1v1 + m2v2 = m1v1' + m2v2'
Where m is mass and v is velocity.

4. How is momentum conserved in an explosion?

In an explosion, the total momentum of the objects involved before the explosion is equal to the total momentum after the explosion. This is because the total initial momentum of the system is zero, and according to the law of conservation of momentum, the total final momentum must also be zero.

5. What are some real-life applications of momentum conservation?

Momentum conservation is used in a variety of real-life applications, such as car safety features, rocket launches, and sports. It is also used in fields like engineering, astrophysics, and fluid mechanics to analyze and predict the motion of objects.