What is the significance of deriving PV=K?

  • Level: Undergrad 
  • Thread starter Thread starter Ultros88
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 4K views
Ultros88
Messages
4
Reaction score
0
Hi, I'm wondering what the physical meaning there is to taking the volume derivative of the equation pv=k.

d/dv [ pv = k ]
(v * dp/dv ) + p = 0

I know this has to do with the elasticity of a gas but I am unsure as to why this process of deriving the equation pv = k was taken. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
 
Physics news on Phys.org
The equation is important because in this process...according to the ideal gas equation,the temperature remains constant...and thus the internal energy.
I hope this is what you asked...if not please elaborate a little more on what you mean...