What is the tangential acceleration?

In summary, the problem involves a 2.5kg ball rotating in a circle on a string with a radius of 0.9m. At a specific point where the string makes an angle of 60 degrees below the horizontal, the ball's speed is 7m/s. The question asks for the tangential acceleration at this point. The tangential acceleration can be calculated using the equation a = v^2/r, where v is the speed and r is the radius. However, it is important to consider which forces contribute to tangential acceleration and which do not, such as centripetal force and gravitational force.
elcaptain

Homework Statement

a ball of 2.5kg revolves in a circle on a string with a radius of 0.9m. at the moment when the string makes an angle of 60 degrees below the horizontal, the ball's speed is 7m/s. at this specific point, what is the tangential acceleration?

Homework Equations

A_t = r*angular acceleration
A_t = dv/dt

The Attempt at a Solution

I understand what tangential acceleration is and how to calculate it when a time interval is given. However, this scenario doesn't make much sense, and I can't find an equation to use that I could plug in some of my data. I know m*g*cos60 is the gravitational acceleration component that is tangent to the ball's circular rotation at that point in time, but that answer didn't work for tangential acceleration.

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Think in terms of forces.

i understand there are forces, including centripetal force and gravitational force. but i do not understand how they directly relate to tangential acceleration.

I presume the circular motion is in a vertical plane.
Where the **** did you get cos(21) from?

Suggest you do a drawing and consider which forces contribute to tangential acceleration and which don't.

Can you just use: a = v2/r

Or does it help in any way? I'm not sure where the mass and angle is coming into this if its rotating on a horizontal plane.

What is the tangential acceleration?

The tangential acceleration refers to the rate of change of an object's tangential velocity. It is a measure of how quickly the object's speed is changing along its circular path.

How is tangential acceleration related to centripetal acceleration?

Tangential acceleration and centripetal acceleration are components of the total acceleration experienced by an object in circular motion. Tangential acceleration is responsible for the change in speed, while centripetal acceleration is responsible for the change in direction.

What is the formula for calculating tangential acceleration?

The formula for tangential acceleration is a = rω^2, where a is the tangential acceleration, r is the radius of the circular path, and ω is the angular velocity (rate of change of the object's angular position).

Can tangential acceleration be negative?

Yes, tangential acceleration can be negative. A negative tangential acceleration indicates that the object's speed is decreasing along its circular path.

How does tangential acceleration affect the object's motion?

Tangential acceleration affects the object's motion by changing its speed along the circular path. If the tangential acceleration is positive, the object's speed will increase. If it is negative, the object's speed will decrease. This change in speed also affects the object's centripetal acceleration and overall motion.