What is the Tension and Stretching of Spider Silk in Equilibrium?

• Thread starter michael1291
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Equilibrium
In summary, the stretchy silk of a certain species of spider has a force constant of 1.50 and a mass of 15mg. Using the equations Tc=Tacos(30) + Tbcos(40) and Tasin(30) = Tbsin(40), the tensions in each of the three strands of silk were calculated to be Ta=100mN, Tb=78.2mN, and Tc=147mN. The distances each strand is stretched beyond its normal length were calculated to be .067, .052, and .098. However, it was later discovered that the angles between the tensions were interpreted incorrectly and should be 30 and 70 degrees instead of 30 and
michael1291

Homework Statement

The stretchy silk of a certain species of spider has a force constant of 1.50 . The spider, whose mass is 15mg, has attached herself to a branch as shown in the figure.
Figure:
http://session.masteringphysics.com/problemAsset/1348379/2/5-70.jpg
a)Calculate the tension in each of the three strands of silk.
b) Calculate the distance each strand is stretched beyond its normal length.

Homework Equations

Worked with the equations: Tc=Tacos(30) + Tbcos(40) for vertical components where Tc=mg=147 mN. And for the horizontal Tasin(30) = Tbsin(40). Found the ratio and plugged back into the equations to find Tb and then Ta.

The Attempt at a Solution

Using the relevant equations, I derived Ta = Tb x 1.286 and ultimately got answers:
Ta=100mN, Tb=78.2mN, and Tc=147mN.

Physics news on Phys.org
re tensions: chech 147mN

re last part: use force = force constant x extension

Does that say check* 147 mN, in that it is an incorrect magnitude for Tc?

A mass of 15mg = 15/(1000) = 0.015grams = 0.015/(1000) = 0.000015kg and now multiply by 9.81 to give weight in N to give 0.000147N = 0.147mN

so it should come to .100mN, .0782mN, .147mN for Ta, Tb, and Tc respectively?

the answer needs to be in 2 sig figs. I put in .100, .078, and .15. A message came up and said "Term 2: Not quite. Check through your calculations; you may have made a rounding error or used the wrong number of significant figures."

I cannot find this error. Kept all numbers in my calculator.

Same response for the second part, in which I submitted .067, .052, and .098

I think that the angles were interpreted incorrectly.

The angle beteen tension A and tension B looks to me to be more than 90 degrees. So I think that the angles are 30deg and 70deg, together making up 100deg.

worked out. Thanks a lot

Related to What is the Tension and Stretching of Spider Silk in Equilibrium?

What is 2 dimensional equilibrium?

2 dimensional equilibrium is a state in which two or more forces acting on an object are balanced, resulting in the object remaining motionless or moving at a constant velocity in a two-dimensional plane.

How is 2 dimensional equilibrium different from 3 dimensional equilibrium?

In 2 dimensional equilibrium, the forces are acting in a two-dimensional plane, while in 3 dimensional equilibrium, the forces are acting in a three-dimensional space. This means that in 2 dimensional equilibrium, the forces can only act in two perpendicular directions, while in 3 dimensional equilibrium, the forces can act in any direction.

What is the difference between static and dynamic equilibrium?

Static equilibrium occurs when an object is at rest and the forces acting on it are balanced. Dynamic equilibrium occurs when an object is moving at a constant velocity and the forces acting on it are balanced.

How do you calculate the resultant force in 2 dimensional equilibrium?

The resultant force in 2 dimensional equilibrium can be calculated by using the Pythagorean theorem. The resultant force is the square root of the sum of the squares of the horizontal and vertical components of the forces acting on the object.

What is the importance of 2 dimensional equilibrium in real life?

2 dimensional equilibrium is important in many real-life situations, such as building structures, bridges, and machines. It is also important in understanding the stability of objects and predicting their behavior under different forces.