What is the tension at point A below the x-z plane?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 2K views
member 392791


So I am thinking about this problem, and what I don't understand is how at that point A, it is below the x-z plane, but it is not given how far below it is. If I knew, I could solve for the tension in the y-direction and set it equal to the weight.

I must be able to use c and 8 in. to get me closer to that distance below the x-z plane, but I'm not sure how
 
Attachments
Physics news on Phys.org
Woopydalan said:

Homework Statement


Homework Equations


The Attempt at a Solution



So I am thinking about this problem, and what I don't understand is how at that point A, it is below the x-z plane, but it is not given how far below it is. If I knew, I could solve for the tension in the y-direction and set it equal to the weight.

I must be able to use c and 8 in. to get me closer to that distance below the x-z plane, but I'm not sure how

use 3-D Pythagoras to calculate how far below the x-z plane the mass is each time. remember, the two masses are 18" apart.

If you don't understand 3-D Pythagoras, use normal Pythagoras on the 8" and c to find the direct distance across that void, the normal Pythagoras with the 18" cable/rod (or what ever it was) to calculate how far below the x-z plane A was in each case.
 
Last edited:
If (xA, yA, zA) and (xB, yB, zB) are the coordinates of A and B, respectively, how can you express the length of the wire in terms of these coordinates?
 
Your work looks good, except you seem to have made a mistake in the final evaluation of T in part (a).
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: 1 person