What is the Theoretical Solution for Lift at High Angles of Attack for Airfoils?

  • Thread starter Thread starter OrangeDog
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Angles Lift
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 2K views
OrangeDog
Messages
117
Reaction score
44
I need a reference for the exact solution for lift at high angles of attack, when an airfoil behaves like a flat plate. I am pretty sure the theoretical solution is CL = 2 sin(α)*cos(α) based on two papers I read on lift through 180 degrees angle of attack, but I can't find in any of my books where this is stated. This would also be consistent with the small angle approximation for flat plate lift, as the cosine term becomes 1 and the sin term equals α.

See the Sandia publication:
Aerodynamic Characteristics of Seven Symmetrical Airfoil Sections Through 180-Degree Angle of Attack for Use in Aerodynamic Analysis of Vertical Axis Wind Turbines"
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Im at work now and can't check. ToWS only covers up to stall for their studies so I doubt it would be in there. I checked von Mises book "Theory of Flight" (my favorite aeronautics book by the way) and it only used the small angle approximation. For the life of me I can't remember where I found the high AoA solution...
 
Yeah, basically all of my aeronautics books that don't involve compressible flow are at home right now or I'd do a quick flip through them.

On the other hand, if you were looking for sources on waves, compressible flows, hydrodynamic stability, or turbulence, then my stash of books at work would be of some help. Alas, you are not.
 
My line of work is strictly pertaining to IC flows :( I just need to compare the theoretical solution with some data.