What is the Theoretical Solution for Lift at High Angles of Attack for Airfoils?

In summary, the theoretical solution for lift at high angles of attack is CL = 2 sin(α)*cos(α). This is consistent with the small angle approximation, which states that the cosine term becomes 1 and the sin term equals α. If you are looking for sources on waves, compressible flows, hydrodynamic stability, or turbulence, then my stash of books at work would be of some help.
OrangeDog
I need a reference for the exact solution for lift at high angles of attack, when an airfoil behaves like a flat plate. I am pretty sure the theoretical solution is CL = 2 sin(α)*cos(α) based on two papers I read on lift through 180 degrees angle of attack, but I can't find in any of my books where this is stated. This would also be consistent with the small angle approximation for flat plate lift, as the cosine term becomes 1 and the sin term equals α.

See the Sandia publication:
Aerodynamic Characteristics of Seven Symmetrical Airfoil Sections Through 180-Degree Angle of Attack for Use in Aerodynamic Analysis of Vertical Axis Wind Turbines"

Engineering news on Phys.org
Im at work now and can't check. ToWS only covers up to stall for their studies so I doubt it would be in there. I checked von Mises book "Theory of Flight" (my favorite aeronautics book by the way) and it only used the small angle approximation. For the life of me I can't remember where I found the high AoA solution...

Yeah, basically all of my aeronautics books that don't involve compressible flow are at home right now or I'd do a quick flip through them.

On the other hand, if you were looking for sources on waves, compressible flows, hydrodynamic stability, or turbulence, then my stash of books at work would be of some help. Alas, you are not.

My line of work is strictly pertaining to IC flows :( I just need to compare the theoretical solution with some data.

What is "Lift at High Angles of Attack"?

"Lift at High Angles of Attack" refers to the phenomenon that occurs when an aircraft's angle of attack (the angle between the wing and the relative wind) is increased beyond a certain threshold. At this point, the lift generated by the wings increases significantly, allowing the aircraft to maintain altitude even at high angles of attack.

Why is lift at high angles of attack important?

Lift at high angles of attack is important because it allows aircraft to fly at slower speeds, which is crucial during takeoff and landing. It also helps aircraft maintain stability and control during maneuvers, such as turns or climbs.

How does lift at high angles of attack work?

At high angles of attack, the flow of air over the wings changes, creating an area of low pressure above the wing and an area of high pressure below the wing. This pressure difference creates lift, which counteracts the weight of the aircraft and allows it to fly.

What factors affect lift at high angles of attack?

The shape and size of the wing, the airfoil design, and the speed of the aircraft are all factors that can affect lift at high angles of attack. The angle of attack itself also plays a significant role in determining the amount of lift generated.

How can lift at high angles of attack be controlled?

Aircraft designers and engineers use various methods to control lift at high angles of attack, such as adjusting the shape and size of the wings, using flaps and slats to change the airfoil shape, and implementing sophisticated control systems to maintain stability. Pilots also play a crucial role in controlling lift at high angles of attack through their use of control surfaces and throttle adjustments.