What is the treatment of a delta function potential in charge integration?

In summary, if you want to integrate over a delta function in 3D, you need to use d(\cos\theta) instead of \sin\theta d\theta.
realcomfy
I am trying to integrate a charge density over a volume in order to obtain a total charge, but there is a delta function involved and I am not entirely sure how to treat it.

[tex] \rho = q* \delta (\textbf{r})- \frac {q\mu^{2} Exp(- \mu r)} {4 \pi r} [/tex]

[tex]Q = \int \rho (\textbf{r})d^{3}r[/tex]

[tex] d^{3}r = r^{2} dr d(cos \theta )d \phi [/tex]

Plugging the density above in the the Q equation should give me the integral over a delta function times the differential volume element minus the integral of the uglier function times the same volume element.

All this is good and fine except that I get that [tex] \int q \delta (\textbf{r}) r^{2} drd(cos (\theta)d \phi [/tex] and I'm not totally sure how to evaluate it. I am pretty sure it should be something like 4 [tex]\pi[/tex] times the function r evaluated at zero, but I can't find the right answer with this approach. Any help would be appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Are you familiar with the properties of the delta function? In particular, this one?

[tex]\int_{-\infty}^{+\infty}f\left(x\right)\delta\left(x-x'\right)dx = f\left(x'\right)[/tex]

Ya, I got that down. So I was thinking that this integral should be equal to zero because we are evaluating r at 0. But I wasn't sure if that was right or if since we are integrating over a delta function, the whole thing should be equal to q. or [tex] 4 \pi q [/tex]. Ya, I'm a little confused

It looks like you'll get two integrals. One that has the delta function in it. That one, when you integrate it, will be zero. But the other one should give you some value.

The delta function is a three dimensional delta function

[tex]\delta(\textbf{r})=\delta(x)\delta(y)\delta(z)[/tex]

which obeys

[tex]\int d^3r\,\delta(\textbf{r}) = 1.[/tex]

What volume are you exactly integrating over? Why [tex]d^{3}r = r^{2} dr d(cos \theta )d \phi[/tex].
Were you thinking spherical coordinates?
[tex]d^{3}r = r^{2} sin \phi dr d\theta d\phi[/tex]
That would make things simpler.

Winzer said:
What volume are you exactly integrating over? Why [tex]d^{3}r = r^{2} dr d(cos \theta )d \phi[/tex].
Were you thinking spherical coordinates?
[tex]d^{3}r = r^{2} sin \phi dr d\theta d\phi[/tex]
That would make things simpler.

Actually, using [tex]d(\cos\theta)[/tex] is more simple than [tex]\sin\theta d\theta[/tex] when there are cosine terms in the integrand. They do actually work out to the same thing, but in electric potential theory, due to the prevalence of cosine terms in the integrands, using [tex]d(\cos\theta)[/tex] is the better choice.

Thanks, I think I get it now

1. What is a delta function potential?

A delta function potential is a type of potential function used in quantum mechanics to describe the interaction between a particle and a potential barrier or well. It is a mathematical function that has an infinite peak at a single point, representing a strong force acting on the particle at that point.

2. How is a delta function potential represented mathematically?

In one dimension, a delta function potential is represented as V(x) = aδ(x-x0), where a is the strength of the potential and x0 is the location of the potential barrier or well. In three dimensions, the potential is written as V(r) = aδ(r-r0), where r is the distance from the center of the potential and r0 is the location of the potential.

3. What is the physical significance of a delta function potential?

A delta function potential represents an idealized point-like interaction between a particle and a potential barrier or well. It is often used to model scattering of particles off of a barrier or the behavior of a particle in a confined space, such as a quantum well.

4. How does a delta function potential affect the behavior of a particle in quantum mechanics?

A delta function potential can cause a particle to be reflected, transmitted, or absorbed depending on its energy and the strength and location of the potential. It can also lead to the formation of bound states, where the particle is trapped in the potential well.

5. Can a delta function potential exist in the real world?

No, a delta function potential is a mathematical construct that is used to simplify calculations in quantum mechanics. In reality, particles interact with potential barriers or wells in a more gradual and continuous manner, rather than at a single point. However, delta function potentials can still be useful in describing and understanding physical systems.