1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What is the Tributary Load width

1. Nov 9, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Find the tributary load width.

2. Relevant equations

-

3. The attempt at a solution

Hi, I'm having trouble understanding the concept of the tributary load width. Can someone help me out with this.

Attatched is the frame that we need to find the Tributary load width for. Can someone explain why it is 6m? I was thinking it would be 5+5/2 = 5m? Or can someone better define what the TLW is for me please. Ive attatched the two figures given to us for this question.

Regards, Hai.

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 9, 2009 #2

PhanthomJay

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The TLW is the longitudinal length of vertical roof or horizontal wind loads supported by a particular frame, based on frame spacing. In this case, since the frames are spaced longitudinally 6 feet apart, the interior frames see 3 feet of roof load from one side, and 3 from the other, so a total of 6 feet of roof load per interior beam (the outside frame see only a 3 foot TLW). Likewise for the wind loads on the walls.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2009
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook