What is the velocity of an object dropped from a height of 300 m?

• Thread starter Dustobusto
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Velocity
In summary, the conversation discusses the problem of finding the velocity of an object dropped from a height of 300 m when it hits the ground. The equations s(t) = s0 + v0t - 1/2gt^2 and v(t) = v0 - gt are mentioned, with s0 representing the initial height, v0 representing the initial velocity, and g representing gravity. The conversation also touches on the idea of maximum velocity being reached when s(t) = 0, and the value of g being -9.81 m/s^2. The solution involves finding the time required for the object to reach the ground using s(t) = s0 + v0t - 1/2gt^2
Dustobusto

Homework Statement

What is the velocity of an object dropped from a height of 300 m when it hits the ground?

Homework Equations

s(t) = s0 +v0t -1/2gt2

v(t) = v0 - gt

s0 = initial height

v0 = initial velocity

v(t) = s'(t)

The Attempt at a Solution

Attempted this for a while, can't seem to get it right. I know initial height = s0 = 300m.

g, as given by the book = 9.8 (represents gravity)

I understand that when trying to find maximum height, velocity = zero. For this, I assume maximum velocity is found when s(t) = zero. Should I believe that when s0 = 300, v0 and t = zero?

Physics news on Phys.org
Remember that g is -9.81 m/s2. That is, it is a negative value.
try this equation:

v2 = v02 + 2g(x-x0)

I appreciate you giving me a new equation, but I'm trying to solve this within the context of the information given. I doubt I'm supposed to solve using that equation. No offense intended.

From the given eqn.s
you can use s(t) = s0 +v0t -1/2gt2
put s0 =0;v0t=0;g=9.8m/s2;s(t)=300m

from this you will get time(t) required for the body to reach the ground.

now take the equation

v(t) = v0 - gt

put v0 =0;g=9.8m/s2
also put the time(t) found from the previous eqn.

v(t) is the required velocity.

Dammit. Thanks nil. Dammit dammit..I was so close. I just had a few things wrong here and there..

But yeah, I had the right idea, was so close. Oh well.

What is the velocity of an object dropped?

The velocity of an object dropped is the rate at which it is moving downward as it falls towards the ground. It is measured in units of distance per time, such as meters per second or feet per second.

How is the velocity of an object dropped calculated?

The velocity of an object dropped can be calculated using the equation v = gt, where v is the velocity in meters per second, g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s²), and t is the time in seconds. This equation assumes that the object is dropped from rest and is only affected by the force of gravity.

Does the mass of an object affect its velocity when dropped?

No, the mass of an object does not affect its velocity when dropped. All objects, regardless of their mass, will accelerate towards the ground at the same rate due to the force of gravity. However, the mass of an object will affect its terminal velocity, which is the maximum velocity an object can reach as it falls due to air resistance.

Can the velocity of an object dropped change during its fall?

Yes, the velocity of an object dropped can change during its fall. As the object falls, it will accelerate due to the force of gravity. However, as it gains speed, it will also experience air resistance, which can slow it down. Once the force of air resistance equals the force of gravity, the object will reach its terminal velocity and will no longer accelerate.

How does the height from which an object is dropped affect its velocity?

The height from which an object is dropped does not affect its velocity. As long as there is no air resistance, an object will have the same velocity regardless of the height from which it is dropped. However, the higher the object is dropped from, the longer it will take to reach the ground and the greater its final velocity will be.