What is the velocity needed for a trampoline jump?

• Thread starter haengbon
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Velocity
In summary, the conversation is about a man jumping on a trampoline at an angle of 53 degrees and needing to calculate the velocity required to be caught by another man who is 5.2 meters away and 6.1 meters above the ground. The homework equations used include Vix = Vxcos30 degrees and Viy = Vysin30 degrees, but the person is seeking guidance on projectile motion and the use of the 30 degree angle and the variables Vx and Vy.
haengbon

Homework Statement

A man jumps on a trampoline with an angle of 53[tex]\circ[/tex] with respect to the horizontal. What velocity does he need in order to be caught by the other man who is 5.2 m away from him, and 6.1 m above the ground?

Homework Equations

so I guess...

X= 5.2 m
Y= -6.1 m

am I correct?

The Attempt at a Solution

So far, the only thing I've actually understood is..

Vix = Vxcos30[tex]\circ[/tex]
Viy = Vysin30[tex]\circ[/tex]

Can someone please guide me through this?

Physics news on Phys.org
What do you know about projectile motion ? Why do you use 30° angle? What is Vx, Vy?

ehild

What is the velocity?

Velocity is a measure of the rate of change in an object's position over time. It is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude (speed) and direction. It is commonly denoted by the symbol "v".

How is velocity different from speed?

Velocity and speed are often used interchangeably, but they have different meanings in physics. While velocity takes into account the direction of an object's motion, speed only measures how fast an object is moving without considering its direction.

What units are used to measure velocity?

Velocity is typically measured in meters per second (m/s) in the International System of Units (SI). Other commonly used units include kilometers per hour (km/h) and miles per hour (mph).

Can velocity be negative?

Yes, velocity can be negative. Since velocity is a vector quantity, it takes into account both the magnitude and direction of an object's motion. A negative velocity indicates that the object is moving in the opposite direction of its positive velocity.

How is velocity calculated?

Velocity is calculated by dividing the change in an object's position by the change in time. The equation for average velocity is v = Δx/Δt, where v is velocity, Δx is the change in position, and Δt is the change in time.