What is the heading of the plane with respect to the ground?

In summary: So you should give an angle relative to North.If you were given a problem asking for the direction of a vector in the xy-plane, and the answer you got was ##\langle -3, 4\rangle##, then you wouldn't answer '##\arctan(\frac{4}{-3})##'. You'd give the direction relative to the positive x-axis, i.e. 126.87 degrees.So you need to convert that groundspeed you've found into North/East components, and then use the convention of N/E relative to the positive x-axis to get an angle.In summary, the conversation is about finding the heading of a plane with respect to the ground, given its velocity with respect
Amrator

Homework Statement

You are traveling on an airplane. The velocity of the plane with respect to the air is 110 m/s due east. The velocity of the air with respect to the ground is 39 m/s at an angle of 30° west of due north.

What is the heading of the plane with respect to the ground? (Let 0° represent due north, 90° represents due east).

Homework Equations

None.

The Attempt at a Solution

Ok, so I already obtained the speed by finding ##\vec V_{ag} = -39\cos(30^\circ)\hat i + 39\sin(30^\circ)\hat j##, and then adding it to ##\vec V_{pa} = 110\frac{m}{s}\hat i##, yielding ##V_{pg} = 95.73\frac{m}{s}##. The component form is ##\langle 76.23 , 19.5 \rangle##.

I then evaluated ##\arctan(\frac{19.5}{76.23})##, giving me ##\theta = 14.35^\circ##.

I don't understand where to go from here. What do they mean by letting "##0^\circ## represent due north" and "##90^\circ## represent due east"?

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Amrator said:
What do they mean by letting "0∘0^\circ represent due north" and "90∘90^\circ represent due east"?
The international convention for air navigation is that the heading of a plane is indicated by an angle measured as a clockwise rotation from North. Note that that is the opposite direction from the (anti-clockwise) rotation convention employed in the number plane, and it also starts from a different point (North/'Up' rather than 'Right'). What they mean is that they want you to use that navigation convention to give your answer. So if your answer was South-East (it won't be) it should be stated as '135 degrees'.

Your calculation of ##\vec{V}_{ag}## is wrong. If the heading is 30 degrees West of North then the direction vector is in the second quadrant and makes an angle of 30 degrees with the vertical axis.

Likes Amrator
andrewkirk said:
Your calculation of ##\vec{V}_{ag}## is wrong. If the heading is 30 degrees West of North then the direction vector is in the second quadrant and makes an angle of 30 degrees with the vertical axis.
Ah, you're right! It should be ##\vec V_{ag} = 39\cos(30^\circ)\hat i + 39\sin(30^\circ)\hat j##, right?

andrewkirk said:
Yes and no. The solver is free to map x and y co-ordinates to compass directions in any consistent manner. The OP's expression is right if S is mapped to the positive X axis and W to the positive Y axis. But you are probably right that this was simply an error in this case.

Likes Amrator
Amrator said:
Ah, you're right! It should be ##\vec V_{ag} = 39\cos(30^\circ)\hat i + 39\sin(30^\circ)\hat j##, right?
Not if you are mapping N to +Y and E to +X, i.e. the obvious mapping.

Likes Amrator
haruspex said:
The OP's expression is right if S is mapped to the positive X axis and W to the positive Y axis.
I think that's ruled out though, by the following assignment in the OP for the plane's Due East heading:
Amrator said:
##\vec{V}_{pa}=110 \frac{m}{s}\hat{i}##

Likes Amrator
Alright, so apparently the equation I'm supposed to use is ##V_{pg} = V_{pa} + V_{ag}##. However, now I get the incorrect answer for the speed. The calculation I initially obtained (95.73 m/s) was correct.

##V_{pg_x} = V_{pa_x} + V_{ag_x} = 110 \frac{m}{s} + 39\cos(30^\circ) = 143.77\frac{m}{s}##

##V_{pg_y} = V_{pa_y} + V_{ag_y} = 0 + 39\sin(30^\circ) = 19.5\frac{m}{s}##

So I get the same results for each component. However, I have to use the Pythagorean theorem at this point (according to my professor). Which makes sense, considering that they are asking for the speed (magnitude) rather than the velocity.

##\sqrt(143.77^2 + 19.5^2) = 145.09\frac{m}{s}##

According to SmartPhysics, this is not the correct speed.

I am incredibly confused now.

Last edited:
Alright, I see what you guys were saying. The angles are supposed to be 120 degrees; however, I still get the wrong result (96.6).

Amrator said:
Alright, I see what you guys were saying. The angles are supposed to be 120 degrees; however, I still get the wrong result (96.6).
That's the right groundspeed, but the question asks only for the bearing, no?

1. What is relative plane motion?

Relative plane motion refers to the movement of one object with respect to another object in a plane. It takes into account the position, velocity, and acceleration of both objects in relation to each other.

2. What is the difference between absolute and relative plane motion?

Absolute plane motion refers to the movement of an object with respect to a fixed point or frame of reference, while relative plane motion considers the movement of an object with respect to another object.

3. How is relative plane motion calculated?

Relative plane motion is calculated using vector addition and subtraction. The position, velocity, and acceleration vectors of the two objects are added or subtracted to determine the relative motion between them.

4. What is the significance of relative plane motion in physics?

Relative plane motion is important in understanding the dynamics of objects in a 2D space. It allows us to analyze and predict the behavior of objects in relation to each other, and is used in many applications such as aircraft navigation, satellite orbits, and projectile motion.

5. Can relative plane motion be observed in everyday life?

Yes, relative plane motion can be observed in many everyday situations. For example, the movement of a car on a road can be described as relative plane motion between the car and the road surface. Similarly, the motion of a person walking on a moving train also involves relative plane motion between the person and the train.