What is the Wattage Calculation for a DIY Generator with Multiple Coils?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
62 replies · 12K views
Hmm.. By seeing the arrangement, I think your gen has a lot more potential than what is being shown on your meter. It seems the fact is that the way you have placed the coil is wasting a lot of flux from the magnet. I understand it's a simple way. And if you really place more coils around, that would make a serious generator!
To charge a battery, you will need a constant source.
Look up these:
Full wave rectification
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rectifier#Rectifier_output_smoothing
Filters .
 
Engineering news on Phys.org
PhysicoRaj said:
Hmm.. By seeing the arrangement, I think your gen has a lot more potential than what is being shown on your meter. It seems the fact is that the way you have placed the coil is wasting a lot of flux from the magnet. I understand it's a simple way. And if you really place more coils around, that would make a serious generator!
To charge a battery, you will need a constant source.
Look up these:
Full wave rectification
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rectifier#Rectifier_output_smoothing
Filters .

Yes lot of flux is wasted. In fact I might be using only 20-25% of useful flux as the gap is more than 0.8 inch in between coil and magnet. But that was the simplest and fastest way to get the prototype done. I'll have to construct custom rotor/stator assembly to reduce the gap.
But considering I could reach up to 30V per coil, and can fit 6 coils on that generator, it gives me 180V assuming they all are in phase. Since per coil resistance is 0.6 ohm, I wonder whether parallel or series arrangement or their combination would give me better results in ideal condition [considering load have same resistance as internal resistance]?

I do have High Power rating Diodes, but I'm not there yet to assemble everything together, will do it once I finish with this Genny construction first.
 
Since you can always step up the voltage, its better to increase the ampereage of your genny.
Connect them in parallel. You'll get a low internal resistance, high ampereage so more power output.
You can step up/down the voltage to whatever value you need and use a rectifier-filter to power a DC load.