What is the work function for silver?

In summary, the conversation discussed the calculation of the work function and maximum kinetic energy of electrons ejected from a silver surface by ultraviolet light of wavelength 254 nm. The equation used was hf=E_max+phi, where hf is the energy of the photons, E_max is the maximum kinetic energy of the electrons, and phi is the work function. The given data included the wavelength, cutoff potential, and frequency, and the known constants were Planck's constant and the mass of an electron. Further clarification is needed to determine the maximum kinetic energy in both electron volts (eV) and joules (J).
Jas014
The wavelength associated with the cut-off frequency, for silver is 325 nm.

a) What is the work function for silver?
b) Find the maximum kinetic energy and speed of the electrons ejected from a silver surface by ultraviolet light of wavelength 254 nm.

So far for part a) i have:

f = c / 325 = 9.25 * 10 ^ 14

After that I am not to sure if I am suppose to use this formula

9.25 * 10^14 = hc/325e - work function

Physics news on Phys.org
The equation describing the photoelectric effect is:

[tex]hf=E_{max}+\phi [/tex] where [tex]\phi[/tex] is the work function.

Now, what is E_max for the case of the cutoff frequency?

im having the same problem where I am supposed to find its max. kinetic energy of the photoelectron in electron volts(eV) and joules(J), but I am completely stuck.

if i use hf = Emax + work, i have planks constant (h) and frequency, but there are two variables left to find...

sodr2 said:
im having the same problem where I am supposed to find its max. kinetic energy of the photoelectron in electron volts(eV) and joules(J), but I am completely stuck.

if i use hf = Emax + work, i have planks constant (h) and frequency, but there are two variables left to find...
Go through the link that G01 has given. Jot down the data given to you and make the appropriate substitution in the photoelectric equation and obtain the KE. [itex]h, m_e[/itex] are known constants.

i don't see anything in that link... for my problem i have the wavelength, cutoff potential and the frequency, I am only confused on the equations to reach to the maximun Ek of the ejected electrons in electron volts(eV) and joules(J).

Well then how is the cut-off potential related to the kinetic energy? can you determine it from the given quantities?

1. What is the work function for silver?

The work function for silver is the minimum amount of energy required to remove an electron from the surface of a silver metal. It is typically represented by the symbol Φ and has a value of 4.26 electron volts (eV).

2. How is the work function of silver determined?

The work function of silver is determined through experimental methods such as the photoelectric effect, where the energy of incident photons is measured to determine the minimum energy needed to remove an electron from the surface of silver.

3. Does the work function of silver change with temperature?

Yes, the work function of silver can change with temperature. Generally, as temperature increases, the work function decreases due to the increased thermal energy of electrons on the surface of the metal.

4. What factors can affect the work function of silver?

The work function of silver can be affected by factors such as the type and purity of the silver metal, the presence of impurities or surface defects, and the intensity of incident light or electric field.

5. Why is the work function important in understanding the behavior of silver as a conductor?

The work function is important in understanding the behavior of silver as a conductor because it determines the ease with which electrons can be removed from the surface of the metal. This has implications for the flow of electric current and the conductivity of silver in different environments.