What is the work function of the metal?

In summary, the conversation discussed determining the work function of a metal plate when light of 300 nm wavelength strikes it and produces photoelectrons with a velocity of 0.002c. Various equations were proposed and it was determined that the work function can be found by subtracting the photon energy from the excess energy of the electrons. The final answer of 3.108 eV was deemed reasonable, but it was noted that the unit should be included.
xlzhsteven
Light of 300 nm wavelength strikes a metal plate, and photoelectrons are produced moving as fast of 0.002c. What is the work function of the metal?

Physics news on Phys.org
What have you tried so far? Please show what work you've done. We don't give out solutions here.

I don't know what equations to use. Do I have to use the moving speed to find the energy, but I don't know how to use that 300nm since it's not the cutoff wavelength.

The electrons have an "excess" energy: so the work function should equal the difference between the photon energy and the excess energy.

Should I use 0.5mv^2=hc/wavelength-work function, then what should I use for the mass in 0.5mv^2, the mass of an electron?

Yes, you use the mass of an electron.

So I have 3.108 for the answer of the work function

is that right?

Seems reasonable to me.

Your answer should contain the correct unit, though!

3.108eV

okay, that sounds like the right order of magnitude.

1. What is Modern Physics Photoelectrons?

Modern Physics Photoelectrons is a branch of physics that deals with the behavior and properties of photoelectrons, which are electrons that are emitted from a material when it is exposed to light.

2. How are photoelectrons produced?

Photoelectrons are produced when photons of light strike a material, causing electrons in the material to be ejected from the surface. This process is known as the photoelectric effect.

3. What is the significance of photoelectrons in modern physics?

Photoelectrons have played a crucial role in the development of modern physics, as they provide evidence for the particle nature of light and the quantization of energy. They also have important applications in technology, such as in solar cells and photoelectric sensors.

4. How are photoelectrons detected and measured?

Photoelectrons are typically detected and measured using a photoelectric apparatus, which consists of a light source, a metal plate, and a collector. When light is shone on the metal plate, it emits photoelectrons which are then collected and measured by the collector.

5. What is the relationship between the energy of light and the kinetic energy of photoelectrons?

The energy of a photon of light is directly proportional to the kinetic energy of the emitted photoelectron. This relationship is described by the equation E = hf, where E is the energy of the photon, h is Planck's constant, and f is the frequency of the light.