What is this -- can you figure it out? (identify this piece of equipment)

In summary: I don't know what to say.In summary, an electric motor was found in an old clothing wringer. It is possible to re-use it if the head is taken off. It is also possible to make a mixer out of it.
giokrutoi
I have no idea what is this

Attachments

• WP_20160214_22_41_17_Pro_LI.jpg
    WP_20160214_22_41_17_Pro_LI.jpg
    19.4 KB · Views: 408
Engineering news on Phys.org
Nothing to show scale, nothing to show normal orientation, not a very elucidating viewing angle.

My first thought was a piece of surveying equipment.

A motor of some sort. I see field laminations, a commutator and brushes. I see what is most likely a fan on the right side. Looks like maybe the guts for a handheld electric mixer.

Likes Jeff Rosenbury and rbelli1
DaveC426913 said:
Nothing to show scale, nothing to show normal orientation, not a very elucidating viewing angle.

Attachments

• WP_20160215_00_37_18_Pro_LI.jpg
    WP_20160215_00_37_18_Pro_LI.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 391
DaveC426913 said:

Attachments

• WP_20160215_00_37_07_Pro_LI.jpg
    WP_20160215_00_37_07_Pro_LI.jpg
    31 KB · Views: 389
here is another picture

Attachments

• WP_20160215_00_37_01_Pro_LI.jpg
    WP_20160215_00_37_01_Pro_LI.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 422
Electric mixer. Obvious now.

Likes Jeff Rosenbury
That worm gear will drive two gears sitting in those encasements in opposite directions, surely attached to shafts. So, two shafts, just a few inches apart driving in opposite directions.

I say it's the motor for an ancient clothing wringer. Otherwise known as a child-hand-and-arm-flattener.

s-l1000.jpg

They will spin too fast for any clothing wringer I have been around.

Averagesupernova said:
They will spin too fast for any clothing wringer I have been around.
Valid point. I don't see any gearbox that would reduce revs, but I won't rule it out.

Mixer is good too.

mixer may be but I think it may be part of tv
can it be so?

giokrutoi said:
mixer may be but I think it may be part of tv
No way. There are no heavy-duty, mechanical, moving components in a TV of any decade.

That is most definitely a heavy-duty motor driving two shafts in opposite directions in close proximity.

and in what can I use it

Well, in an industrial mixer. I think Average is correct.

If you wish to re-use it, you could take the head off, and you'd have a powerful electric motor for something. Don't know what the revs are.

ok thanks very much

A bit off topic but the old wringer washers had a shaft that run up through the pedestal that the wringer part mounted on. There was only one motor and it was underneath. Just gearing to get the power up to the wringer rollers.

Just curious, why would you have thought surveying equipment? What made your mind go there?

Averagesupernova said:
Just curious, why would you have thought surveying equipment? What made your mind go there?
I love making new from old stuff that's all

Averagesupernova said:
Pretty sure this was directed at me. :wink:

I didn't get a good look at the motor part until you pointed it out in the follow-up pix. My first look saw two circles about the size - and separation - of eyes, on a tall, tripod-like stock.

I like the mixer idea. The spinning plastic part could (with gearing) spin a bowl. The fins could engage for different gear ratios.

Clearly it should be Aboveaveragesupernova. :partytime:

Clearly it should be Aboveaveragesupernova. :partytime:

Well I used to be Superaveragenova but I decided I would rather be averagely super. o0) LOL
-
Strangely I don't recall how I really came up with the name. It just popped in my head. It is interesting to me in that it doesn't seem possible for an event like an exploding star to be 'average' and boring, but of course everything is relative and there are in fact actual average supernovas.

Last edited:
Likes cnh1995
Jeff Rosenbury said:
I like the mixer idea. The spinning plastic part could (with gearing) spin a bowl. The fins could engage for different gear ratios.
I figure that's really more of the cooling mechanism for the motor.

Likes Averagesupernova
and how can I make it work

The two different drives taken from the motor suggest a low speed, reversible, high torque drive at one end (as people have already said) and a high speed takeoff dog on the other end - could be a pump drive (not much torque transferred through that plastic piece but a pump wouldn't need it). Most washing machines would have two separate motors, in my experience, but an old design could have used just one. I'd love to see the controller / timer for it.
@Dave - you really are too, too good to your partner. Buying her all the latest white goods, as in the photo.

Likes DaveC426913
giokrutoi said:
and how can I make it work
Try to find a part number on the motor somewhere. from that you might be able to cross reference the equipment manufacturer.

Shop garage sales and junk yards for old parts that might fix. Then design what you need to fill in the missing bits. There are websites that will do 3-D printing to order.

I was thinking universal motor from a Vacuum Cleaner, but Mixer may be correct.

sophiecentaur said:
The two different drives taken from the motor suggest a low speed, reversible, high torque drive at one end (as people have already said) and a high speed takeoff dog on the other end
I must have missed something.
When you say "two different drives", do you mean two drive shafts, one out each end?
And how do you figure one is low speed and the other is high-speed?
If there were a gearbox in there, that would lend credence to my suggestion of it being a low-speed wringer-dryer.

DaveC426913 said:
And how do you figure one is low speed and the other is high-speed?
There is a worm gear on the left and a straight 'dog' on the other end; could be a 10:1 difference in final speeds of the two drives.
I think the worm that you can see is all that's left of the low speed gearbox, with the two pinions missing. That could provide two directions for rotating some heavyish load.

Last edited:
sophiecentaur said:
There is a worm gear on the left and a straight 'dog' on the other end; could be a 10:1 difference in final speeds of the two drives.
o:) Of course. I wasn't even thinking of the worm gear as a reducer.

Really, we should have some guy in a sparkly suit, stepping out from behind curtains and awarding points for the nearest guess to this one.

I didn't notice the knee in the one photo before.

BoB

1. What is the purpose of this equipment?

The purpose of this equipment is to [insert purpose here].

2. How does this equipment work?

This equipment works by [insert explanation of how it works here].

3. What are the main components of this equipment?

The main components of this equipment are [insert main components here].

4. Can this equipment be used for multiple purposes?

Yes, this equipment can be used for multiple purposes such as [insert purposes here].

5. Is this equipment safe to use?

Yes, this equipment is safe to use as long as proper safety precautions are followed. It is important to read the user manual and follow all safety guidelines before using this equipment.