What is this -- can you figure it out? (identify this piece of equipment)

• Thread starter giokrutoi
  • Start date
and how can I make it work
Try to find a part number on the motor somewhere. from that you might be able to cross reference the equipment manufacturer.

Shop garage sales and junk yards for old parts that might fix. Then design what you need to fill in the missing bits. There are websites that will do 3-D printing to order.

I was thinking universal motor from a Vacuum Cleaner, but Mixer may be correct.

DaveC426913
Gold Member
The two different drives taken from the motor suggest a low speed, reversible, high torque drive at one end (as people have already said) and a high speed takeoff dog on the other end
I must have missed something.
When you say "two different drives", do you mean two drive shafts, one out each end?
And how do you figure one is low speed and the other is high-speed?
If there were a gearbox in there, that would lend credence to my suggestion of it being a low-speed wringer-dryer.

sophiecentaur
Science Advisor
Gold Member
And how do you figure one is low speed and the other is high-speed?
There is a worm gear on the left and a straight 'dog' on the other end; could be a 10:1 difference in final speeds of the two drives.
I think the worm that you can see is all that's left of the low speed gearbox, with the two pinions missing. That could provide two directions for rotating some heavyish load.

Last edited:
DaveC426913
Gold Member
There is a worm gear on the left and a straight 'dog' on the other end; could be a 10:1 difference in final speeds of the two drives.
o:) Of course. I wasn't even thinking of the worm gear as a reducer.

sophiecentaur
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Really, we should have some guy in a sparkly suit, stepping out from behind curtains and awarding points for the nearest guess to this one.

rbelli1
Gold Member
I didn't notice the knee in the one photo before.

BoB