What is this -- can you figure it out? (identify this piece of equipment)

• Thread starter giokrutoi
  • Start date

Answers and Replies

DaveC426913
Gold Member
Nothing to show scale, nothing to show normal orientation, not a very elucidating viewing angle.

My first thought was a piece of surveying equipment.

Averagesupernova
Science Advisor
Gold Member
A motor of some sort. I see field laminations, a commutator and brushes. I see what is most likely a fan on the right side. Looks like maybe the guts for a handheld electric mixer.

Likes Jeff Rosenbury and rbelli1
Averagesupernova
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Electric mixer. Obvious now.

Likes Jeff Rosenbury
DaveC426913
Gold Member
That worm gear will drive two gears sitting in those encasements in opposite directions, surely attached to shafts. So, two shafts, just a few inches apart driving in opposite directions.

I say it's the motor for an ancient clothing wringer. Otherwise known as a child-hand-and-arm-flattener.

s-l1000.jpg

Averagesupernova
Science Advisor
Gold Member
They will spin too fast for any clothing wringer I have been around.

DaveC426913
Gold Member
They will spin too fast for any clothing wringer I have been around.
Valid point. I don't see any gearbox that would reduce revs, but I won't rule it out.

Mixer is good too.

mixer may be but I think it may be part of tv
can it be so?

DaveC426913
Gold Member
mixer may be but I think it may be part of tv
No way. There are no heavy-duty, mechanical, moving components in a TV of any decade.

That is most definitely a heavy-duty motor driving two shafts in opposite directions in close proximity.

and in what can I use it

DaveC426913
Gold Member
Well, in an industrial mixer. I think Average is correct.

If you wish to re-use it, you could take the head off, and you'd have a powerful electric motor for something. Don't know what the revs are.

ok thanks very much

Averagesupernova
Science Advisor
Gold Member
A bit off topic but the old wringer washers had a shaft that run up through the pedestal that the wringer part mounted on. There was only one motor and it was underneath. Just gearing to get the power up to the wringer rollers.

Averagesupernova
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Just curious, why would you have thought surveying equipment? What made your mind go there?

Just curious, why would you have thought surveying equipment? What made your mind go there?
I love making new from old stuff that's all

DaveC426913
Gold Member
Pretty sure this was directed at me. :wink:

I didn't get a good look at the motor part until you pointed it out in the follow-up pix. My first look saw two circles about the size - and separation - of eyes, on a tall, tripod-like stock.

I like the mixer idea. The spinning plastic part could (with gearing) spin a bowl. The fins could engage for different gear ratios.

Clearly it should be Aboveaveragesupernova. :partytime:

Averagesupernova
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Clearly it should be Aboveaveragesupernova. :partytime:
Well I used to be Superaveragenova but I decided I would rather be averagely super. o0) LOL
-
Strangely I don't recall how I really came up with the name. It just popped in my head. It is interesting to me in that it doesn't seem possible for an event like an exploding star to be 'average' and boring, but of course everything is relative and there are in fact actual average supernovas.

Last edited:
Likes cnh1995
DaveC426913
Gold Member
I like the mixer idea. The spinning plastic part could (with gearing) spin a bowl. The fins could engage for different gear ratios.
I figure that's really more of the cooling mechanism for the motor.

Likes Averagesupernova
and how can I make it work

sophiecentaur
Science Advisor
Gold Member
The two different drives taken from the motor suggest a low speed, reversible, high torque drive at one end (as people have already said) and a high speed takeoff dog on the other end - could be a pump drive (not much torque transferred through that plastic piece but a pump wouldn't need it). Most washing machines would have two separate motors, in my experience, but an old design could have used just one. I'd love to see the controller / timer for it.
@Dave - you really are too, too good to your partner. Buying her all the latest white goods, as in the photo.

Likes DaveC426913